10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2006 8:03 AM by Newsgroup_User

Mapping Software

Level 7
      Have experience with sending a dynamic value to mapping sites to obtain a
      map/driving directions with a dynamically generated link?

IE, I want to enable my clients to "click here for map" but don't want to
      hard code it, I just want to have it come in from their existing address
      info.

I have not looked anywhere for this as I wanted suggestions on what has been
      utilized successfully in the past.
      --

TIA,

Jon Parkhurst
      PriivaWeb
      http://priiva.net.

• 1. Re: Mapping Software
          Level 7
          MapQuest always worked fine. A couple of the options they publish don't
          seem to work, though. For instance, it never gave me a black and white map,
          even if I set the parameters to do so. But as far as getting a map of the
          proper address, it was no trouble at all.

"crash" <crash@bcdcdigital.com> wrote in message
          news:e8bseo$8qb$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Have experience with sending a dynamic value to mapping sites to obtain a
          > map/driving directions with a dynamically generated link?
          >
          > IE, I want to enable my clients to "click here for map" but don't want to
          > hard code it, I just want to have it come in from their existing address
          > info.
          >
          > I have not looked anywhere for this as I wanted suggestions on what has
          > been utilized successfully in the past.
          > --
          >
          > TIA,
          >
          > Jon Parkhurst
          > PriivaWeb
          > http://priiva.net.
          >

• 2. Re: Mapping Software
            Level 7
            Thanks Lion
            "Lionstone" <HIDElionstone@HIDEhushmail.com> wrote in message
            news:e8bt8d$9mo$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > MapQuest always worked fine. A couple of the options they publish don't
            > seem to work, though. For instance, it never gave me a black and white
            > map, even if I set the parameters to do so. But as far as getting a map
            > of the proper address, it was no trouble at all.
            >
            > "crash" <crash@bcdcdigital.com> wrote in message
            > news:e8bseo$8qb$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            >> Have experience with sending a dynamic value to mapping sites to obtain a
            >> map/driving directions with a dynamically generated link?
            >>
            >> IE, I want to enable my clients to "click here for map" but don't want to
            >> hard code it, I just want to have it come in from their existing address
            >> info.
            >>
            >> I have not looked anywhere for this as I wanted suggestions on what has
            >> been utilized successfully in the past.
            >> --
            >>
            >> TIA,
            >>
            >> Jon Parkhurst
            >> PriivaWeb
            >> http://priiva.net.
            >>
            >
            >

• 3. Re: Mapping Software
              Level 7
              sorry, sent before I was ready. Do you use a paid option of theirs? Are
              there any free services for this? It's not of utmost importance, and It's
              actually already been scrapped for our version 2, but I want to do some
              footwork before we get there.

Thanks again,

Jon
              news:e8btf0$a1g$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Thanks Lion
              > "Lionstone" <HIDElionstone@HIDEhushmail.com> wrote in message
              > news:e8bt8d$9mo$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              >> MapQuest always worked fine. A couple of the options they publish don't
              >> seem to work, though. For instance, it never gave me a black and white
              >> map, even if I set the parameters to do so. But as far as getting a map
              >> of the proper address, it was no trouble at all.
              >>
              >> "crash" <crash@bcdcdigital.com> wrote in message
              >> news:e8bseo$8qb$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              >>> Have experience with sending a dynamic value to mapping sites to obtain
              >>> a map/driving directions with a dynamically generated link?
              >>>
              >>> IE, I want to enable my clients to "click here for map" but don't want
              >>> to hard code it, I just want to have it come in from their existing
              >>> address info.
              >>>
              >>> I have not looked anywhere for this as I wanted suggestions on what has
              >>> been utilized successfully in the past.
              >>> --
              >>>
              >>> TIA,
              >>>
              >>> Jon Parkhurst
              >>> PriivaWeb
              >>> http://priiva.net.
              >>>
              >>
              >>
              >
              >

• 4. Re: Mapping Software
                Level 7
                > Have experience with sending a dynamic value to mapping sites to obtain a
                > map/driving directions with a dynamically generated link?
                >
                > IE, I want to enable my clients to "click here for map" but don't want to
                > hard code it, I just want to have it come in from their existing address
                > info.

I've done that for mapquest, google, and Yahoo. Just enter in a specific
                location, search, and cut-and-paste the URL. It's usually fairly easy to
                figure out what querystrings need modifying so that you can pass a
                dynamically generated link of your own. Typically you need to pass city,
                state, street and zip.

-Darrel

• 5. Re: Mapping Software
                  Level 7
                  I think they offer a paid service that doesn't have their branding, ads, et
                  al, but it's really expensive. It's also far more powerful than you need.
                  It's full-blown mapping software. You can read about it here:
                  http://company.mapquest.com/mqbs/2.html

Linking to MapQuest is free, and they give instructions on how to get the
                  query string right here:
                  http://www.mapquest.com/features/main.adp?page=lf_main

They also offer something called OpenAPI which looks to be much more
                  functional. It's JavaScript-based, also free, but still in beta. You can
                  read about that here:
                  http://www.mapquest.com/features/main.adp?page=developer_tools_oapi

news:e8bunl$bip$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > sorry, sent before I was ready. Do you use a paid option of theirs? Are
                  > there any free services for this? It's not of utmost importance, and It's
                  > actually already been scrapped for our version 2, but I want to do some
                  > footwork before we get there.
                  >
                  > Thanks again,
                  >
                  > Jon
                  > news:e8btf0$a1g$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  >> Thanks Lion
                  >> "Lionstone" <HIDElionstone@HIDEhushmail.com> wrote in message
                  >> news:e8bt8d$9mo$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  >>> MapQuest always worked fine. A couple of the options they publish don't
                  >>> seem to work, though. For instance, it never gave me a black and white
                  >>> map, even if I set the parameters to do so. But as far as getting a map
                  >>> of the proper address, it was no trouble at all.
                  >>>
                  >>> "crash" <crash@bcdcdigital.com> wrote in message
                  >>> news:e8bseo$8qb$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  >>>> Have experience with sending a dynamic value to mapping sites to obtain
                  >>>> a map/driving directions with a dynamically generated link?
                  >>>>
                  >>>> IE, I want to enable my clients to "click here for map" but don't want
                  >>>> to hard code it, I just want to have it come in from their existing
                  >>>> address info.
                  >>>>
                  >>>> I have not looked anywhere for this as I wanted suggestions on what has
                  >>>> been utilized successfully in the past.
                  >>>> --
                  >>>>
                  >>>> TIA,
                  >>>>
                  >>>> Jon Parkhurst
                  >>>> PriivaWeb
                  >>>> http://priiva.net.
                  >>>>
                  >>>
                  >>>
                  >>
                  >>
                  >
                  >

• 6. Re: Mapping Software
                    Level 7
                    That was my idea as well if they dont' offer a service, but it feels
                    dishonest. I don't want my users to think they're getting info from my
                    site, but I would like them to think my site is doing some work for them
                    (ie, so they don't have to type).

I'm having problems with google's - their url doesn't change.

Did you find any one of them to be more reliable than the other? I won't
                    use MapQuest or Yahoo any longer for my driving directions (to many wrong
                    turns) but MQ definitely has the market cornered on seling their services -
                    I couldn't even find much on the other two.

Thanks again, I've got to tie up, and I'll post more later.
                    "darrel" <notreal@nowhere.com> wrote in message
                    news:e8bur7$bml$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    >> Have experience with sending a dynamic value to mapping sites to obtain a
                    >> map/driving directions with a dynamically generated link?
                    >>
                    >> IE, I want to enable my clients to "click here for map" but don't want to
                    >> hard code it, I just want to have it come in from their existing address
                    >> info.
                    >
                    > I've done that for mapquest, google, and Yahoo. Just enter in a specific
                    > location, search, and cut-and-paste the URL. It's usually fairly easy to
                    > figure out what querystrings need modifying so that you can pass a
                    > dynamically generated link of your own. Typically you need to pass city,
                    > state, street and zip.
                    >
                    > -Darrel
                    >

• 7. Re: Mapping Software
                      Level 7
                      Thanks Lion. I was reading about the first, but could not find the second
                      and third urls, which is what I'm really looking for.

Great info, I'll post back tomorrow, thanks again.
                      "Lionstone" <HIDElionstone@HIDEhushmail.com> wrote in message
                      news:e8bv0m$bro$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      >I think they offer a paid service that doesn't have their branding, ads, et
                      >al, but it's really expensive. It's also far more powerful than you need.
                      >It's full-blown mapping software. You can read about it here:
                      > http://company.mapquest.com/mqbs/2.html
                      >
                      > Linking to MapQuest is free, and they give instructions on how to get the
                      > query string right here:
                      > http://www.mapquest.com/features/main.adp?page=lf_main
                      >
                      > They also offer something called OpenAPI which looks to be much more
                      > functional. It's JavaScript-based, also free, but still in beta. You can
                      > read about that here:
                      > http://www.mapquest.com/features/main.adp?page=developer_tools_oapi
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      > news:e8bunl$bip$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      >> sorry, sent before I was ready. Do you use a paid option of theirs? Are
                      >> there any free services for this? It's not of utmost importance, and
                      >> It's actually already been scrapped for our version 2, but I want to do
                      >> some footwork before we get there.
                      >>
                      >> Thanks again,
                      >>
                      >> Jon
                      >> "crash" <crash@bcdcdigital.com> wrote in message
                      >> news:e8btf0$a1g$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      >>> Thanks Lion
                      >>> "Lionstone" <HIDElionstone@HIDEhushmail.com> wrote in message
                      >>> news:e8bt8d$9mo$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      >>>> MapQuest always worked fine. A couple of the options they publish
                      >>>> don't seem to work, though. For instance, it never gave me a black and
                      >>>> white map, even if I set the parameters to do so. But as far as
                      >>>> getting a map of the proper address, it was no trouble at all.
                      >>>>
                      >>>> "crash" <crash@bcdcdigital.com> wrote in message
                      >>>> news:e8bseo$8qb$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      >>>>> Have experience with sending a dynamic value to mapping sites to
                      >>>>> obtain a map/driving directions with a dynamically generated link?
                      >>>>>
                      >>>>> IE, I want to enable my clients to "click here for map" but don't want
                      >>>>> to hard code it, I just want to have it come in from their existing
                      >>>>> address info.
                      >>>>>
                      >>>>> I have not looked anywhere for this as I wanted suggestions on what
                      >>>>> has been utilized successfully in the past.
                      >>>>> --
                      >>>>>
                      >>>>> TIA,
                      >>>>>
                      >>>>> Jon Parkhurst
                      >>>>> PriivaWeb
                      >>>>> http://priiva.net.
                      >>>>>
                      >>>>
                      >>>>
                      >>>
                      >>>
                      >>
                      >>
                      >
                      >

• 8. Re: Mapping Software
                        Level 7
                        > That was my idea as well if they dont' offer a service, but it feels
                        > dishonest. I don't want my users to think they're getting info from my
                        > site, but I would like them to think my site is doing some work for them
                        > (ie, so they don't have to type).

Not sure if I follow you. You are thinking that linking to google maps is
                        dishonest? How so?

> I'm having problems with google's - their url doesn't change.

This is the URL I use:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=454+West+Sixth+Street,+Red%20Wing+MN+

It just takes a plain-text address for the most part of 'street, city,
                        state'

> Did you find any one of them to be more reliable than the other? I won't
                        > use MapQuest or Yahoo any longer for my driving directions (to many wrong
                        > turns) but MQ definitely has the market cornered on seling their
                        > services - I couldn't even find much on the other two.

If/when I need to link to a map, I just link to all three and let the
                        end-user choose.

As for driving instructions, I rarely depend on the actual written
                        instructions any of the sites produce and instead rely on the map itself.

-Darrel

• 9. Re: Mapping Software
                          Level 7
                          On Mon, 3 Jul 2006 15:58:34 -0500, "darrel" <notreal@nowhere.com> wrote:

>This is the URL I use:
                          >
                          > http://maps.google.com/maps?q=454+West+Sixth+Street,+Red%20Wing+MN+

Played with their Maps API?
                          http://www.google.com/apis/maps/

Gary
                          • 10. Re: Mapping Software
                            Level 7
                            >
                            > Not sure if I follow you. You are thinking that linking to google maps is
                            > dishonest? How so?

I didn't see a link or program for "Link to our Maps", and without that one
                            would assume you would be breachin their Terms of Use by deep-linking to
                            their content, isntead of linking to their site.

I don't know if dishonest is what I mean, but curtious was probably what I
                            was thinking. If I provided content and did'nt specifically provide a
                            program to access that content, then I woud expect you to just link to my
                            site