19 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2015 7:47 AM by A.T. Romano

Premier Elements 12 - Freeze at 98% DVD Burn

msuber

I need help.  I have not been able to burn any dvd's using my PE 12 software.  I am able to create a computer file and then use another software to burn that folder to disc, but I want the dvd to play in a dvd player.  The file size is less than the disc space so it will fit.  The disc burn stops at 98% each time without deviation.  The program becomes unresponsive.  Thanks for the help.

Mike

• 1. Re: Premier Elements 12 - Freeze at 98% DVD Burn
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike

You write

I am able to create a computer file and then use another software to burn that folder to disc, but I want the dvd to play in a dvd player.

There is something wrong there. Is your workflow

a. Publish+Share/Disc/DVD burn to folder Folder (4.7 GB)

b. Taking only the VIDEO_TS Folder from that burn to folder into the ImgBurn program

c. Taking it to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc?

That DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc generated by ImgBurn would be expected to be playable on your TV's DVD player.

Back to the Premiere Elements 12 burn to disc DVD disc

a. Just before you hit the Burn button of the Burn dialog, what does the Burn dialog's Quality area show for "Space Required" and "Bitrate"

(with a check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space"?

My goal is to get the burn to disc working and not necessary point you to burn to folder unless no alternative. But I need to understand why burn to folder is not working for you as implied in your opening remarks.

Let us start here and then decide what next.

We will be watching for your follow up.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premier Elements 12 - Freeze at 98% DVD Burn
            jltlwolf

I am having this same problem with it stopping at 98% of completion on the burn.

I am working in Premiere Elements 13.

I burned the project twice.  Made a few adjustments - changed the scene markers.

Then it stopped working and started giving me this error message.

I am burning to a DVD.

I have fit to available space checked.

Appreciate any advice.

Jim

• 3. Re: Premier Elements 12 - Freeze at 98% DVD Burn
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Jim

What specific error message are you getting?

Has the burn to folder worked for you while the burn to disc has not?

If you have not already, please do the burn to folder to see if the goes to a successful completion.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premier Elements 12 - Freeze at 98% DVD Burn
                jltlwolf Level 1

Hi ATR,

I have not tried the burn to folder approach.  Do you just burn to folder then copy the folder to a DVD?

In the endoding media phase it reaches 98% then before reaching 100% it suddenly switches and says "compiliing media."  It stays at 98% then a box comes up with the error message.

"Adobe Premiere Elements 13 has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. 

Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

Settings:

Burn to disc

Presets: NTSC_Dolby DVD

Quality: fit contest to available space is checked.

Jim

• 5. Re: Premier Elements 12 - Freeze at 98% DVD Burn
                  jltlwolf Level 1

Just tried to burn to folder and ran into same error message.

• 6. Re: Premier Elements 12 - Freeze at 98% DVD Burn
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Jim

Thanks for the follow up.

Did you say what computer operating system that you are using?. Consider the following for a Windows operating system.

When you use the burn to: Folder (4.7 GB) or Folder (8.5 GB), what you get is a folder saved to the computer hard drive location that you designate in the Save In of

the burn dialog. That folder contains two folders OpenDVD and VIDEO_TS. It is only the VIDEO_TS Folder which we want. It contains the files and structure of the DVD-VIDEO format.

You import the whole VIDEO_TS Folder into the free ImgBurn program to end up with your DVD-VIDEO format on the DVD disc in the correct disc file system.

ImgBurn is the first choice for this but suffers from the baggage that comes with its download and install. So you need to be extremely careful in your download

and installing choices to avoid having to flush the installed programs of these unwanted nuisances that might be installed along with the ImgBurn.

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/burn_dvd_folder_imgburn.cfm

Do not worry about any AUDIO_TS Folder at this time. If necessary, that can be created as an empty folder named AUDIO_TS and imported into ImgBurn to

be included with the VIDEO_TS Folder

We will be watching for your progress.

ATR.

• 7. Re: Premier Elements 12 - Freeze at 98% DVD Burn
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Jim

I did not see your post 5 until after I had posted (post 6).

The burn to folder results takes our focus away from the disk and burner.

For burn to disc or folder, does the project include disc menu and Timeline menu markers?

If so, how many main menu pages and how many scene selection pages?

If so, make a copy of your project (File Menu/Save A Copy), give the copy a new name, and work from the copy for the following:

Remove the disc menu and the Timeline menu markers. Burn to disc and/or folder issue? Is the problem gone?

Depending on those results, we will decide what next.

Thank you for the follow ups. Appreciated.

ATR

• 8. Re: Premier Elements 12 - Freeze at 98% DVD Burn
                        jltlwolf Level 1

Hi ATR,

So, there is a main menu and three scene selection pages, each with four scenes.

I just finished redoing the project from scratch and started a new burn.

I am going to have to leave it now before the burn is complete and come back to it tomorrow.

I'll let you know if the burn for the new project was successful.

If not, I'll try what you suggested.  I assume the "Timeline menu markers" are the scene markers that I set manually.  I'm not sure what the disc menu is.  I'm using one of the movie menu templates provided.

Jim

• 9. Re: Premier Elements 12 - Freeze at 98% DVD Burn
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Jim

Thanks for the update. Best wishes for success.

When I wrote disc menus, I was referring to the program's themes/templates under Tools Menu/Movie Menu.

Looking forward to your results.

ATR

• 10. Re: Premier Elements 12 - Freeze at 98% DVD Burn
                            jltlwolf Level 1

Hi ATR,

The project burned....which left me with the other problem I've been dealing with - video/audio sync.

Before I burn everything is synced.

I have figured out that every time I make a cut with Premier (cut a few frames) that it sinks the start of the next segment.

Now I see that (at least in one place) what happens is that the video speeds up (as if it is being fast forwarded) while the audio maintains normal speed.

Then the audio from the scene with the fast forward video (Scene A) will run over a bit onto the video of the next scene (Scene B, at the start of which there is a cut)--essentially, because the video has fast forwarded the video finishes before the audio.

When the audio gets to the end of Scene A and starts into Scene B then the video will jump back to the start of Scene B so that the audio and video are in sync when the video of Scene B restarts.

I had thought the problem was blank spots in the video.

By the way, the material I am working with is from an old VCR that I converted to digital using Golden Videos VHS to DVD converter.

Jim

• 11. Re: Premier Elements 12 - Freeze at 98% DVD Burn
                              jltlwolf Level 1

P.S.

Even though Scene B is close to being in sink it is still a couple of seconds out of sink.

Later scenes are fully in sync.

Also, when I "Preview Disc" everything works and is in sync.

I am working on a 64 bit computer using Windows 7.

• 12. Re: Premier Elements 12 - Freeze at 98% DVD Burn
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Jim

Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7 64 bit

Check List...your import setting NTSC DV Standard appears consistent with your burn to disc choice of NTSC Dolby DVD

When you preview that Timeline and say that everything there is in sync, are you doing that playback with the rendered or

unrendered Timeline content....unrendered would have an orange line over its contents and rendered would have a no colored line or

green line over the content.

By the way, what are you actually importing into Premiere Elements 12

DVD video files with VOB files extensions or something else?

ATR

• 13. Re: Premier Elements 12 - Freeze at 98% DVD Burn
                                  jltlwolf Level 1

Hi ATR

Don't know if it makes a difference but I'm on Premier Elements 13 (rather than 12).

I was wrong about it being synced up before burning.  It is not.

It is synced up in the AVI file that I import - before it is imported (when I view using windows media player).

The sound is de-synced as soon as it is imported - before doing anything else to it.

Regarding the timeline, here is a screen shot - rendering did not seem to make a difference in the colors that are displayed.

2015-02-07_ScreenShot.jpg

• 14. Re: Premier Elements 12 - Freeze at 98% DVD Burn
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Jim

Thanks for the follow up. I looks like it was Mike, the originator of this thread, who was working from Premiere Elements 12.

What kind of .avi file are you importing into the project? Could they be DV.AVI? If so, do you know if they are type 1 or 2?

If DV AVI, please download and install the codec utility named GSpot, import your DV AVI into it, and read the Container area there

to determine if you are working with DV AVI type 1 or 2 in Premiere Elements.

GSpot Codec Information Appliance

Please remind me, what was the key factor to getting your successful burn to NTSC_Dolby DVD but left you with audio out of sync in the end product?

ATR

• 15. Re: Premier Elements 12 - Freeze at 98% DVD Burn
                                      jltlwolf Level 1

Thanks for  your continued guidance.

In the file properties it says "Type of File: Video Clip (.avi)."

I could retransfer the videos from the VCR tape.  If I were to do that is there a software you might suggest that is more likely to be problem free (I've been using NCH "Golden Videos VHS to DVD Converter"

I think that getting to the successful burn was the result of going back to the start and rebuilding the project.  Took me about a half an hour. 

In building the original project (my first time in Premiere) I had stumbled around a lot and had some weird intermediary results so I figured I probably just mucked things up a bit.  Since the fresh start it seems to have worked.  One of the things I realized after getting a successful result was it was not getting stuck at 98% but rather the screen jumps from "compiling media" 98% to the start of the next step (without showing 100%) - so it was probably getting stuck in the transition between the two steps.

• 16. Re: Premier Elements 12 - Freeze at 98% DVD Burn
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Jim

Great job of building on your experiences with your first burn to disc project and starting a new burn to disc project that was a success.

Well done.

My observations in the burn to DVD disc are that, for the first burn to disc in a session, the sequence of events in the progress bar is

encoding media (takes the longest time), compiling media (which is usually very quick, don't actually remember it ever showing 100%) as it quickly moves to

burning of the disc (a relatively short period of time).. Often this burning phase seemed stuck at 98%. Sometimes even the burner tray would open

before I actually saw the program give the success message. And, the disc product was great.

If you do a second burn to disc DVD right after the first in that same session, the process takes less time related to scratch disks (disc encoding) generated

by the first burn to DVD disc.(See Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks and the Disc Encoding category and the Encoding Files Folder in the Adobe Folder.)

Best wishes as you move forward with your projects. As always, any questions or need clarification on your Premiere Elements workflows, please do not

hesitate to ask.

Thanks for the follow up on what worked for you.

ATR

• 17. Re: Premier Elements 12 - Freeze at 98% DVD Burn
                                          J_The_Third

I've been having problems trying to burn a disc -- or at least save my project as an MP4 file -- in Premier Elements 13 and 13.1.

When I try to burn a DVD (DVD or Blue Ray), I get a "busy" icon and the whole thing seems to stop working.

Also, for some unknown reason, the CyberLink Power DVD Burner program keeps opening under the Premier window, and I don't see it until I force Premier to close.

Even when I try to save my project as an MP4 file, it gets to "98%," and about five seconds left to render/save, then stops.

I don't know whether I'm not giving the program long enough to finish those last "five seconds" or if the program has locked-up and/or stopped working.

Either way, it has driven me nuts and made me angry. Is there any way to get Premier Elements to just FINISH whatever it's doing and let me burn a

DVD, either directly or by saving the project as an MP4 file (a "film clip?") and burning it from there. I'm out of patience and starting to resort to profanity,

which in my case is not a good thing.

I've been working on the same damn video for months and I want to get it the [BLEEP] outta my computer and out of my life.

What do I do?

• 18. Re: Premier Elements 12 - Freeze at 98% DVD Burn
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

j_The_Third

It is pushing 1 am where I am. My major goal in the morning morning is to get your project finished and off your computer.

Until then...

ATR

• 19. Re: Premier Elements 12 - Freeze at 98% DVD Burn
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

j_The_Third

Good morning.

1. Regarding the pop up of CyberLink when you have your disc in the burner try are initiating the Premiere Elements burn to.

Happens to me all the time. CyberLink came with my Blu-ray player and is set as the default movie player. Are you using a used disc and the Premiere Elements has to erase before use? Two possibilities - work with blank disc or the minute CyberLink surfaces at the start of your burn to click on its close button or disable CyberLInk.

2. Around 98% of the burn to disc part of the progress bar there can be a delay in the message of success and the opening of the burner tray. Give that several seconds to outcome....either success or failure.

3. I left you a bunch of comments in your other thread. Please check all out and I will meet you in the other thread to try to put all together.

Why does my Premier Elements program stop rendering/saving when it gets to 98%?

Thanks.

ATR