5 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2014 4:55 AM by Obi-wan Kenobi

Shortcuts for Styles...

Obi-wan Kenobi Adobe Community Professional

Hi,

I use a lot keyboard shortcuts.

And very often, I want to delete all of them to create new ones or, after I have modified them, reuse the first ones I've created. So:

Is there a way to delete all or for a specific styles group?

Is there a .xml file where they are all defined?

Thank you in advance.

• 1. Re: Shortcuts for Styles...
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Custom sets are stored in your user profile or user library in the same hidden folder as InDesign Defaults.

• 2. Re: Shortcuts for Styles...

Hi Peter,

I'm not sure this is a matter of user settings. I have the same file with, in a version, keyboard shortcuts associated to para styles, and in another version, no KS. So, apparently, the KS associated to the styles (Para, Char, Object and Table) are directly integrated in the ID file.

When I save them in .idml and open them with Oxygen, I can manipulate these KS. Eg, as I want, I can delete all the KS associated to the para styles. Idem, if I want to do it for all the char styles. Or, for all the KS associated to all styles. To do this, I use regex directly within the .xml files tree using Oxygen. I know it's dangerous but I keep the control of what I do.

What I mean with my question is: Is there a way to do it directly in ID (without doing as I do), maybe using [JS]?

• 3. Re: Shortcuts for Styles...
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Style shortcuts are part of the style definition.

• 4. Re: Shortcuts for Styles...
                rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You could consider using a script to apply the styles. That gets you away from the limitation of the number pad and you can save the key commands in different sets. So if you reuse style names (Text, A Head, B Head, etc.) you could make a styles folder in you scripts folder and save one for each and assign it a command:

tell application "Adobe InDesign CS6"

try

set applied paragraph style of selection to "Text"

end try

end tell

• 5. Re: Shortcuts for Styles...

Hi Rob,

I don't think it is the good way to fix my problem. I finally use another tip.

The way I work: I create Para/Char styles groups and, so, I apply shortcuts to the styles (paras by group) I use for the layout.

As and as I advance in the layout, to go faster, I need to delete and create shortcuts.

E.g., I use the X group to treat pages 11-25, the Y group to treat pages 26 to 29, then the Z group on pages 30 to 52 ...

As the styles are well established, I just create 2 reference files:

the first file [ID_Shortcuts_0.indd] includes only the "global" shortcuts, ones I use all the time (e.g., Current_Text [Cmd -0]); no other shortcut for any group para styles.

the second file [ID_Shortcuts_All.indd] includes ALL shortcuts (so, e.g., different styles using the same shortcut).

I've assigned a keyboard shortcut to "load all the paragraph styles " [in french : "Charger tous les styles de paragraphe"] = Cmd-F4.

The trick : I need to get the shortcuts associated to the group X. I do Cmd-F4 and I load all the group X para styles, and only these, from ID_Shortcuts_All.indd. Easy to find them: They are sorted by group. Finally I can get all the shortcuts.

When I switch to Y, I load the group X para styles from ID_Shortcuts_0.indd file [I loose all the group X shortcuts] and then I load group Y styles from ID_Shortcuts_All.indd file [I get all group Y shortcuts]. And so on...

This represents a very fluid ... and carefree manipulation, without risk!