5 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2014 9:51 AM by ECBowen

Can my Custom Build PC handle video editing?

Espience Films Level 1

I am building a PC with a 4930k, 64GB of 2100 speed RAM, and a GTX 780. Also 128GB SSD. I just want to know that this will handle 4k editing for short films, and be able to handle some moderate to smi-advanced 3D rendering and After Effects Work?

I'd rather not spend more than $3,000 so i'm hoping that is all I need but I wanted to make sure.

Thanks Guys

• 1. Re: Can my Custom Build PC handle video editing?
          JFPhoton Level 3

AE and 4k will benefit by having the 64GB system memory. I have read that with 4K, the video memory on the video card is important.......try to get at least 4GB on the videocard.

Your disk system will need to be big......and to be fast for 4k.......any of the drives, ( or, RAID arrays), will have to surpass 500MB/sec. transfer rates.....read AND write.

So, Samsung 840 Pro SSD for OS,programs and pagefile, ( 256gb is good size). THEN, another  like SSD to serve as cache drive....good esp. for AE. THEN a RAID 0 array of TWO Crucial 950GB M500 SSDs for media and rest....unless you get an expensive RAID controller card and at least 5 HDDs in a RAID 3, to provide necessary 4K speed ! AHHHH !!!....the joy of spending !

• 2. Re: Can my Custom Build PC handle video editing?
            JFPhoton Level 3

.........actually........you may want to WAIT until later this year, because the "Haswell E" CPU is coming with MANY improvements, like : quad channel memory, 10 onboard SATA III ports, new chipset, 40 full lanes of Gen. 3 PCI, AND either 6 or 8 core versions,( up to 16 threads).....maybe great performance without having to go dual Xeon route !

• 3. Re: Can my Custom Build PC handle video editing?
              ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Yes that system can handle the 4K work and AE provided your disk setup is solid. A 128GB SSD though is really to small for the OS. I would suggest to 240GB or higher as well. What 4K media do you intend to work with?

Eric

ADK

• 4. Re: Can my Custom Build PC handle video editing?
                Espience Films Level 1

BMCC Raw and Possible Sony F55 and RED R3D files. I was thinking a Red card too...what do you suggest for storage options on the PC as well. Thanks BTW

• 5. Re: Can my Custom Build PC handle video editing?
                  ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

As JP recommends, 2x Crucial SSD drives in raid 0 would be ideal. 2x mechanical drives in raid 0 will handle those codecs as long as you don't take into DPX or some other uncompressed. The 5TB drives are far cheaper than the 6TB drives so I wouldn't go any higher than 5TB mechanical.

Eric

ADK