1 Reply Latest reply on May 16, 2014 7:48 AM by Peter Spier

What PDF export settings to use for highest possible resolution printing?

rcventures

I use indesign to create a roughly 68-page marketing booklet. The document is landscape and setup to print on 8.5" x 11" as a landscape book with facing-pages. I upload a PDF to a professional printing company to print a full bleed booklet. The book usually includes roughly 15, full-page, high resolution images as well as numerous other high resolution images throughout so it is important that the resolution is as high as possible and the images come out clean when printed.

On my old computer, I had a custom PDF export preset that I used to produced hi-res, print quality pdf's that were approximately 528MB in size.  I recently got a new computer and I lost that old Preset...  Now, when I use the "high quality print" default setting, the file size is about 74MB, much lower than what the documents used to be. I have played around with some of the settings, but I still cannot get the files to come out near as large as they used to be. 

Is this an Indesign doument setup issue, or an export issue?  What settings should I use in order to produce the largest, highest-quality, highest-resolution PDF possible?

Thanks for an input and guidance!

• 1. Re: What PDF export settings to use for highest possible resolution printing?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The size in mb is pretty much irrelevant and is going to vary with the number of pages and the type and quantity of graphical content.

The HQ Print preset downsamples  raster art to 300 ppi if it's over 450, and uses jpeg compression to reduce file size. This is usually more than adequate for commercial printing. For fine art printed at a 200 lpi screen you might want to change the downsampling to 350 or 400 ppi and use zip compression (lossless) or no compression at all. I suspect your custom preset used no compression, and might not even have downsampled, but there's no advantage to sending more image data than the RIP needs to process the image.