Might be worth a try to Export the file to IDML format, open the IDML file, and see if the new Untitled document will print.
So I tried that and when I try to reopen the file it crashes indesign... any thoughts?
You could try the old troubleshooting technique of "divide and conquer" on a copy of your original file.
Delete the first half of the pages. Does the file print now? If yes, the problem is in the first half.
Undo all changes, and delete the last 3/4 of the document. Try to print the file again. In this way, continue to pare down the spreads until you've located the problem spread, then the problem page, and then the problem section of the page (top or bottom). Finally deleting individual items until you know the exact item causing the problem.
bummer- ok I'll give it a shot. Thanks-
So I tried that and neither half of the document will print correctly... only the first spread prints regardless of how I break it up. Its totally bizarre. Any thought on why the first spread will print but not the others?
Is there anything common to the pages after the first spread that is not on that first spread? For example, a font?
On a copy, change all the fonts on the second spread to one of the System fonts and see if it prints.
Are you sure that you are not working on the master and you are trying to print the master only?
As weird as this may sound... I just had the same problem!
I have a 7 page document and InDi would only print the first page!
Then, I exported it to PDF, and Acrobat also would only print the first page!
I started troubleshooting...
Printing each page alone:
page 2 would not print
pages 3,4,5 would print!
page 6 would not
page 7 printed
It comes out that on pages 2 and 6 I had some paragraphs with paragraph style A, and there were some overrides.
The minute I cleared the overrides, the whole document printed without a problem!
Obviously, this can't be the problem. Text overrides never stopped InDi or a PDF from printing before
But this was the reality in my scenario
If anyone can shed some light on this... I would be very interested.
I'd try exporting the story to ID Tagged Text, then place that in a new frame, copy to the clipboard and paste into the old story to replace the existing text.