6 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2014 6:10 PM by A.T. Romano

Am having problem that no sound is recorded on the timeline when I try to narrate

boblite2

Am having problem that no sound is recorded onto the timeline when I try to narrate. I choose Tools > Narration. There is a Mic Sensitivity indicator, which shows that the mike is working. But when I press the Record button, nothing is recorded on the timeline (the narrative panel on the timeline shows just a flatline with no graph).  However, in the Project Assets panel, I see a number of sound files with names like Narration_1.wav and when I click on one of these I get a sound file type graphic with peaks and valleys.

• 1. Re: Am having problem that no sound is recorded on the timeline when I try to narrate
          A.T. Romano Level 7

boblite2

Since you mention "Projects Assets", you are probably using Premiere Elements 11 or 12.

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running? What type of microphone are you using to record your narration with the Premiere Elements Narration Tool.

If you drag the Narration_1.wav file from Project Assets to the Timeline of the Expert workspace, can you play back the narration in the Edit area monitor?

The narration clip has two display styles - one is a horizonal line  and the other is the wave form kind. You can toggle between the two by clicking on the speaker icon to the left of the opened Narration Track. Have you done that?

In the absence of further information, I am making Premiere Elements Windows assumptions...go to Libraries\Documents\Adobe\Premiere Elements\number of your version and, in the Folder named with the number of your version, find the Media Cache Files Folder and delete its contents.

We may next want to look at deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file. But, let us see how you do with the above and then decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Am having problem that no sound is recorded on the timeline when I try to narrate
            boblite2 Level 1

A.T. Romano wrote:

boblite2

Since you mention "Projects Assets", you are probably using Premiere Elements 11 or 12.

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running? What type of microphone are you using to record your narration with the Premiere Elements Narration Tool.

If you drag the Narration_1.wav file from Project Assets to the Timeline of the Expert workspace, can you play back the narration in the Edit area monitor?

The narration clip has two display styles - one is a horizonal line  and the other is the wave form kind. You can toggle between the two by clicking on the speaker icon to the left of the opened Narration Track. Have you done that?

In the absence of further information, I am making Premiere Elements Windows assumptions...go to Libraries\Documents\Adobe\Premiere Elements\number of your version and, in the Folder named with the number of your version, find the Media Cache Files Folder and delete its contents.

We may next want to look at deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file. But, let us see how you do with the above and then decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Am having problem that no sound is recorded on the timeline when I try to narrate
              boblite2 Level 1

Hello ATR:

Thank you so very much for your detailed response to my request for help.

I am running Premiere Elements 11, under Windows 7 Professional. The mike

is a Plantronics Audio 625 USB Stereo Headset that can also be plugged into

the microphone and speaker ports with separate plugs.

When I posted my request for help I had been unable to record any sound.

Then before I received your response I fiddled with Control Panel > Sounds

and managed to successfully record using the Tools > Narration applet, into

.wav files that played properly in Windows Media Player, but could not be

heard when played back in Premiere Elements 11. Sigh.

I then fiddled with Control Panel > Sounds > Playback and failed to get

any playback but then to my horror and disgust I have now lost ability to

record.

I attach screenshots of the current Control Panel > Sounds settings,

hoping that you will see where I am going wrong.

Regards

Bob Lightbourne

732-548-1612

PS(1) Thanks for informing me that the narration track can be displayed as

a wave form by clicking on the microphone.

PS(2) When I drag Narration_11.wav to the timeline and then do playback in

the Edit monitor, I get video but no sound, even though this sound file

plays back in Windows Media Player.

PS(3) I find that clicking on Navigation_1.wav in the Project Assets window

causes a sound editor to pop up, including a "Set in" and "Set out" tool,

and that shows a waveform of the sound. However, when I click on the Play

button, the cursor moves, but no sound results. This implies that the

problem is playback.  I attach screenshots of the current settings of

Control Panel > Sound > Playback)

PS(4) You wrote: “*In the absence of further information, I am making

Premiere Elements Windows assumptions...go to

Libraries\Documents\Adobe\Premiere Elements\number of your version and, in

the Folder named with the number of your version, find the Media Cache

Files Folder and delete its contents.”*

I could not find any Media Cache Files Folder inside of

Libraries\Documents\Adobe\Premiere Elements\11.0. Instead I found folders

named Adobe Premiere Elements Auto-Save, Encoded Files, Adobe Premiere

Elements Preview Files, Layouts, Styles, and then a list of files of type

wav, txt, etc/

PS(5) You wrote “* We may next want to look at deleting the Adobe Premiere

Elements Prefs file. But, let us see how you do with the above and then

decide what next.”*

• 4. Re: Am having problem that no sound is recorded on the timeline when I try to narrate
                boblite2 Level 1

Hello ATR:

After much fiddling about, I have both playback and recording working. It's now nearly 2am and I have to get to sleep. Later today (Sunday) or tomorrow  I will send you a description of the Control Panel > Sound >  settings for Playback and for Recording, and also a description of the audio settings in Premiere.

I am writing this so you will not devote additional time or energy to helping me. You have been most generous and I thank you for it.

Best regards

Bob Lightbourne

PS.  I wish Windows and Adobe  would allow parameters to be set on a single page in a table rather than spread out over numerous pages.  It would make solving these problems much easier.

• 5. Re: Am having problem that no sound is recorded on the timeline when I try to narrate
                  boblite2 Level 1

Hi ATR:

Here are the settings that allowed me to record narration within Adobe Premiere Elements 11,  using my Plantronics Audio 625 USB Stereo Headset when it was NOT plugged in via USB port, but instead plugged in by inserting the two 3.5 mm plugs into the front panel of my computer, one for mike and one for headset (the Plantronics headset provides the option of using either USB plug or 3.5mm plugs).  

SETTINGS WITHIN CONTROL PANEL

Control Panel > Sound > Playback > Speakers >

Logitech Wireless Headset <NOT CHECKED: Ready>

Realtek High Definition Audio  <CHECKED: default device>

Control Panel > Sound > Recording > Microphone > 

S5-AK5371 - <checked as communications device> 

Logitech Wireless Headset <NOT CHECKED: Ready>   

Realtek High Definition Audio  <CHECKED: Default Device>                                                                    

Line In <Realtek High Definition Audio <NOT CHECKED: Not plugged in>

/=======================================================================================

SETTINGS WITHIN ADOBE PREMIERE ELEMENTS 11

Edit > Preferences > Audio hardware >   Default device >

Premiere Elements WDM Sound <grayed out: no alternatives>

Edit > Preferences > Audio hardware >  ASIO Settings > Input >

Speakers - Logitech Wireless headset <checked>

Speakers - Realtek High Definition Audio <checked>

Edit > Preferences > Audio hardware >   ASIO Settings > Output >

Microphone - Logitech Wireless headset <checked>

Microphone - Realtek High Definition Audio <checked>

Microphone - 5-AK5371 <not checked>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------

Edit > Preferences > Audio Output Mapping >

Speakers (Logitech Wireless Headset)-1

Speakers (Logitech Wireless Headset)-2

Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)-1

Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)-2        

/========================================================================================= ==

Altogether, this is a klutzy way of setting things up.

ATR, thanks again for your help.

Regards

Bob

• 6. Re: Am having problem that no sound is recorded on the timeline when I try to narrate
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Bob

I am very impressed and appreciative of the details of your troubleshooting. Great job in sorting through the details to get to success.

USB devices for the narration are highly problematic for recording with the Premiere Elements (any version) Narration Tool. Some have reported success with them; where others have not. It is good to know that you got the Plantronics Audio 625 USB Stereo Headset to work for you.

Best wishes

ATR