16 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2014 7:42 AM by sinious

How to install latest AIR SDK (13 or 14) in Flash Pro CS6?

8insane

Hi, I'm using Adobe Flash Pro CS6 on Windows 7 64-bit and I wanted to add latest Adobe AIR SDK, either 13 or 14, but non of them is seen as a valid SDK by Flash.

I've tried downloading two possible SDKs (SDK & compiler and SDK without compiler) from here: Download Adobe AIR SDK (version 13) and here http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/air.html (version 14). Each time I copied the extracted SDK folder to my Flash CS6 folder where default 3.2 and 3.4 SDKs are located. After that I open Flash, then Help > Manage Air SDK, click on " + ", browse for the new folder, and all I get is "The selected folder does not contain a valid AIR SDK" warning message. It all looks the same with all four SDKs I downloaded!

Not long ago I added AIR 4.0 without any problems. What am I doing wrong? Is new SDK Flash CC only or what?

• 1. Re: How to install latest AIR SDK (13 or 14) in Flash Pro CS6?
          sinious Most Valuable Participant

What are you naming the folder?

Just as a general tip, since many applications (Flash CS4, 5, 5.5, 6, CC) you can save some space by only putting the AIR SDK in one place. Since CS6 and CC have "Manage AIR SDK" in their settings you no longer need to locate that folder like 5.5 which requires you to overlay the AIR 2.6 folder. So save some space and put it anywhere out of the way, out of the Flash folder. I have multiple drives and I have lots of SDKs installed at root on my E:\ (E:\SDK\AIR, E:\SDK\JDK, E:\SDK\Android, etc). I then just go in the help panel like you do and point CS6 and CC to E:\SDK\AIR and they work perfectly fine with the latest SDK released recently.

airsdk.jpg

Are you updating Flash Player to 13 as well?

Last, do not download the Flex version for Flash. Flex is for Flash Builder if you intend on using Flex (it is different than Flash).

Do not get this:

flex.png

You want the SDK from the big orange buttons above this warning.

• 2. Re: How to install latest AIR SDK (13 or 14) in Flash Pro CS6?
            8insane Level 1

Hello, sinious and thank you for your time.

I was naming my folders likewise the others (AIR3.2, AIR3.4, AIR4.0), e.g. AIR13, AIR14, perhaps even AIR13.0 and AIR14.0, but not sure about those two. I'll try using different names without any special characters. And I'll check again the latest SDK from the big orange button. I downloaded the Flex ones to be sure because the first ones did not work.

And by updating Flash Player you mean a browser plugin or a, uh... 'a compiler' inside my Flash Pro CS6 IDE that allows me to publish my work using newst version? If the latter, well, atm I don't know how to, but I was going to find out how once I get over with updating my AIR SDK.

• 3. Re: How to install latest AIR SDK (13 or 14) in Flash Pro CS6?

It shouldn't matter what you name the folder or where you put it as long as you're pointing at the parent folder that directly contains the SDK. In other words when you go in the folder you're pointing to, you should see:

sdk.png

If you don't see that and you see a folder that contains it, you were just pointing to the wrong folder.

As for updating Flash Player, that's a pretty straight forward (but different) process. Hmm, I mentioned it over in a different thread. Check post reply #9 and #12 for a brief overview on updating Flash Player here:

Create a worker in flash IDE?

Let me know if you have any questions. You should also consider running the quick test with the code I mentioned there to assure your AIR and Flash Debugger version are what you expect.

• 4. Re: How to install latest AIR SDK (13 or 14) in Flash Pro CS6?
                8insane Level 1

This is what I did:

error1.jpg

And what I got after clicking OK:

error2.jpg

Maybe I should update my Flash Player first?

• 5. Re: How to install latest AIR SDK (13 or 14) in Flash Pro CS6?

The two can be updated separately because AIR actually contains a new playerglobal.swc for the relevant latest version per that AIR SDK so that won't solve the issue you're having.

My next best guess is, after you downloaded it and unzipped it, are your files showing up colored green? Often with strict internet settings files are marked "blocked" or their contents can be encrypted (turns the files green). If your folder or files inside are green, right-click on the parent folder, click properties->Advanced (button)->UNcheck "Encrypt contents to secure data". The SDK should work fine after that.

Otherwise I'm pretty out of ideas. You're completely deleting the AIR13 folder before you unpack it each time correct? You mentioned you tried both the Flex (incorrect) version as well as the correct version. If not I'd delete the folder to make sure there's no lingering files in there that don't belong and unzip the SDK in a new fresh, empty folder.

Lastly all I'd suggest is try relocating the SDK folder entirely. If you only have on drive, try different places. Root c:\SDK or in your documents or even your desktop to start eliminating permission issues. Be sure to check the permissions on these files to make sure your user has access to them but it'd be highly unlikely that you don't.

• 6. Re: How to install latest AIR SDK (13 or 14) in Flash Pro CS6?
                    8insane Level 1

All my folders are normally marked (yellowish), not green. I can't uncheck the option you mentioned because it is completely disabled (but unchecked, though).

However, since you mentioned security issues, I checked my antivirus and sandbox logs. It turned out there were listed some .jar issues inside my flash directory. I turned off auto-sanbox (which was set to low, btw) and it worked! I have no idea why this bugged my sandbox in the first place (I didn't get any notifications whatsoever), afterall, I managed to add AIR 4.0 SDK not long ago without any problems.

Thank you very much for your help, I was totally out of ideas

Now it's time to update my Flash Player...

• 7. Re: How to install latest AIR SDK (13 or 14) in Flash Pro CS6?

The green files gets me all the time, mostly during local network transfers. I do use encryption on certain items though so I earned it ><. Either way the error was general enough to let you know the folder contents couldn't be read properly and that can be for a million reasons. Luckily you knew exactly where to look, sounds like this wasn't the first set of files that sent you there .

You're welcome, glad you got it straightened out and welcome to AIR 13!

• 8. Re: How to install latest AIR SDK (13 or 14) in Flash Pro CS6?
                        8insane Level 1

This was more like a random thought, as I still cannot find a reason why I looked there

Well, maybe there is one. I had to root my phone the other day, but the rooting app just kept getting blocked by my security software, so I had to disable it (but it still kept getting blocked anyway, lol). Luckily I managed to solve that issue as well

• 9. Re: How to install latest AIR SDK (13 or 14) in Flash Pro CS6?

Ah, which unit did you root? I've still yet to try it on the Note 3. Something has to fix the camera on this thing. It should shoot at least as good as the S3 or S4 but the shots are pretty terrible. That's mainly why I root, to gain further control, features and tweaks on the camera.

• 10. Re: How to install latest AIR SDK (13 or 14) in Flash Pro CS6?
                            8insane Level 1

I rooted Sony Xperia T. It's a shame what things are kept away from you if you don't have a rooted device.

• 11. Re: How to install latest AIR SDK (13 or 14) in Flash Pro CS6?

Hotspot alone...... Agreed. They have their reasons but I can only see the product as being more appealing if they keep regular users on the common interface but when you enable developer mode you should get a lot more bells and whistles to play with.

Anyhow glad you're all set, happy rooting!

• 12. Re: How to install latest AIR SDK (13 or 14) in Flash Pro CS6?
                                8insane Level 1

You're 100% right! Thanks and have a great time doing whatever you're doing

• 13. Re: How to install latest AIR SDK (13 or 14) in Flash Pro CS6?
                                  8insane Level 1

Hi, again.

After updating my AIR SDKs I receive the following message in the output panel:

"There is more than one definition of the AIR  for Android player.  Only the first definition will be used.

There is more than one definition of the AIR  for Desktop player.  Only the first definition will be used.

There is more than one definition of the AIR  for iOS player.  Only the first definition will be used."

Should I be concerned bout this?

• 14. Re: How to install latest AIR SDK (13 or 14) in Flash Pro CS6?

In Flash CC the air SWC definitions are here:

...Adobe\Adobe Flash CC\Common\Configuration\ActionScript 3.0\

The XML definitions that configure them are here:

...Adobe\Adobe Flash CC\Common\Configuration\Players\

You only need to update new Flash Players (non-AIR) in the SWC and XML folders.

You might want to assure the second folder with the XML configs doesn't contain any duplicated configs. When you update your AIR SDK you no longer need to overlay the airglobal.swc or adjust any XML in there so if you did it the old Flash CS5.5 way where you had to edit AIR2_6.xml every time, that would be the problem. In that case just Help->Manage AIR SDKs, remove AIR 13, then re-add it. Flash should configure itself properly again.

• 15. Re: How to install latest AIR SDK (13 or 14) in Flash Pro CS6?
                                      8insane Level 1

I thought I'd make a little update on the topic. Everything I did was OK, but for whatever reason my Flash Pro CS6 just couldn't identify new AIR SDKs as correct ones. I reinstalled Flash and after reinstallation I could add some SDKs, but not all of them. Just remember to remove all your preferences with Flash when uninstalling it! After some time I had to reinstall Flash again, and after this time I could add all AIR SDKs I want, event the recent beta 16, which I couldn't after the last time. Hope this helps.

• 16. Re: How to install latest AIR SDK (13 or 14) in Flash Pro CS6?

Flash doesn't re-detect the AIR SDK version every time you change it. It's a little hiccup I'd like to see fixed but I also experience. I simply go in Help->Manage AIR SDKs and remove the existing AIR SDK, then re-add it. The new proper version is then recognized.