16 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2014 3:01 PM by AntonioDo

Color management

chertopherie

Hello everyone! I'm having problems with color management in Photoshop, and Bridge. I just got a new computer (running Windows 8.1) and have just installed Photoshop CC, Bridge, and Lightroom. My monitor is Dell U2410 and I have it calibrated with X-rite Colormunki Display.

Whenever I open a file in Photoshop (or other CC programs), the images look desaturated in comparison to how they display on anything else on my computer. I tried uploading a screenshot but the uploader here keeps saying that my file is too big (it's 611 kb).

I've tried other solutions that were mentioned here and in other forums but nothing really changes. In Bridge, I had originally set my color settings to North America General Purpose 2 (I've tried other settings too but nothing really changes so I went back to the original setting). In PS, my RGB is set as sRGB. The only time my images look similar is when I check off Proof Colors (my proof setting is set to Monitor RGB but was originally set to CMYK).

The images I was trying to work on were sRGB.

Oh, I'll also mention that I am completely new to all of this so please assume I know the bare minimum. Thank you in advance for your help!

24ozlvd.jpg

• 1. Re: Color management
          gener7 Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try this color setting in Photoshop, then go to Bridge and from Edit > Color Settings sync your settings.

Screen Shot 2014-05-16 at 8.17.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-05-16 at 8.00.09 PM.png

• 2. Re: Color management
            chertopherie Level 1

Hi @gener7!

I tried the settings you mentioned and it still seems the same.

• 3. Re: Color management
              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would guess you have a wide-gamut monitor and are viewing the images outside of LR and PS in a non-color-managed application, which assigns AdobeRGB as the profile and oversaturates the colors.  PS and LR are likely correct and the non-color-managed apps are wrong.  A way to test this would be to save or Export one of the images with a AdobeRGB profile and see if the non-Adobe product looks more similar to the Adobe ones.

What app are you using to look at the images in outside of Adobe products?

• 4. Re: Color management
                chertopherie Level 1

I saved the test image with the AdobeRGB profile and that photo now looks more saturated than the original images look. I was looking at the test image in Windows Explorer, ACDSee 17 and in my web browser. Here is the new AdobeRGB image on the left, and the original on the right, viewed in Windows Explorer.

2pr8sqq.jpg

Here you see the top image is the new saved image with the AdobeRGB profile and the bottom image is the original sRGB image.

5vp16o.jpg

BTW, the PS photos also look desaturated when compared to original photos on my camera and when viewing the images on my iPhone.

• 5. Re: Color management

How did you make your Adobe RGB image?  Either Export it from LR with an Adobe RGB profile, or do a Convert Profile in PS and convert to Adobe RGB then save out of PS with that profile.

BTW, for your screen-capture images to look right for anyone else you need to open them in PS, then Assign your monitor profile to them, then Convert Profile to sRGB before you post them, here.

• 6. Re: Color management
                    David Remington Level 1

I believe the image you are using is untagged (no embedded ICC profile) though it does display correctly in sRGB. PS uses the colorspace you have selected for RGB (sRGB for North America General Purpose 2) to display untagged RGB images. Non color manages applications will simply pass on the RGB values straight to the monitor. You have a wide gamut monitor so the colors are artificially pumped up (though you may prefer this look ;-) You can confirm this by assigning your monitor profile to the image in PS. Look the same now?

• 7. Re: Color management
                      chertopherie Level 1

I assigned the AdobeRGB profile to the image, and then saved. Now I've converted it, and now they do look the same in Windows Explorer. Thank you for your suggestions.

So I guess my question is, the way my images appear in Photoshop is how they will appear on the web? Is there a way to get everything to look the same across the board when viewing images? I've had this monitor for a while now (before I switched over to my new Windows 8 computer) and I didn't have this problem before the switch.

• 8. Re: Color management
                        chertopherie Level 1

Oddly, the image I was using was supposed to be tagged (I downloaded both the tagged and untagged versions to check). But yes, you are correct, when I assign my monitor profile to the image, it does look more like the Windows Explorer version of the images. So to confirm:

I shouldn't trust Windows Explorer's colors? And if my images are tagged sRGB, they should appear the same in PS as they do on the web? I guess that's my main concern. I'd hate to edit my photos to how I'd like them to appear, and then have them appear way oversaturated on the web.

Thank you!

• 9. Re: Color management

You should be adjusting your photos on a color-profiled monitor in a color-managed workflow (PS, LR) and converting them to sRGB before you save them and saving them with the sRGB profile embedded. 

If they look oversaturated for you or someone else, then it is because you or they are using a wide-gamut monitor and a non-entirely-or-not-at-all-color-managed browser.

Otherwise with a non-wide-gamut monitor or an entirely-color-managed browser will look similar to how you saw them in PS and LR.

There still could be something wrong with how ColorMunki or the profile it is creating is working on your Windows 8 computer.

You should never just Assign a color profile to an image without that being the right profile for the image, otherwise the colors will be interpreted wrong.  If the image has a color profile you should be converting the original profile to another profile in PS.  LR always defaults to sRGB if there is no profile embedded with the image, so you don’t want to be importing untagged images into LR unless you know they are sRGB.

• 10. Re: Color management
                            D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Just to sum up. It's all been covered above, but I'm not sure the OP has digested it yet.

The U2410 is a wide gamut monitor. It is an absolute requirement with wide gamut monitors that they only be used in a fully color managed environment. No exception. Web browsers included (Firefox in mode 1 is the only one that qualifies).

Without color management there is nothing you can do to make it display correctly, except cripple the unit by setting it to the sRGB preset (but then what's the point of paying extra for the wide gamut).

• 11. Re: Color management
                              chertopherie Level 1

Yes, I only ever convert my images to sRGB (I shoot all RAW, and ACR is set to convert my images to sRGB) so that shouldn't be a problem.

I rarely use LR but this is all very good to know. Thank you for your help!

@twenty_one

I can't find settings on how to change modes in Firefox (besides safe mode). Is it only in certain versions of Firefox? I'm using the latest version.

Thank you!

• 12. Re: Color management

You want to set gfx.Color_Management.Mode=1

http://cameratico.com/guides/firefox-color-management/

• 13. Re: Color management
                                  David Remington Level 1

To access Firefox settings type "about:config" (without the quotes) into the URL bar. Click yes to the warning. Type gfx in to the search field. Locate gfx.color_management_mode. Click on the value and change to 1.

Best practice is to convert images for the web to sRGB and embed the profile. It used to be that embedding the profile was not as critical as most monitors were close enough to sRGB (or were so bad it did not matter).Wide gamut screens were a specialty item, now the are becoming more common.

You can only follow reasonable best practices and hope that others will as well.

--David

• 14. Re: Color management
                                    chertopherie Level 1

Thank you!

• 15. Re: Color management
                                      chertopherie Level 1

Thank you for your help!

• 16. Re: Color management
                                        AntonioDo

Hello --

I am new to the discussion, so please forgive my ignorance of some of this technology.  I have taken coursework in managing color in a color managed workflow.  However, I do not understand the exact mechanics of how this is accomplished.  Can you please answer the following questions?

ssprengel stated:

You should be adjusting your photos on a color-profiled monitor in a color-managed workflow (PS, LR) and converting them to sRGB before you save them and saving them with the sRGB profile embedded.

If they look oversaturated for you or someone else, then it is because you or they are using a wide-gamut monitor and a non-entirely-or-not-at-all-color-managed browser.

Otherwise with a non-wide-gamut monitor or an entirely-color-managed browser will look similar to how you saw them in PS and LR.

How, in Photoshop, do I convert an image to sRGB?  How do I embed the sRGB profile?  How do I know if I have a wide-gamut monitor, and if I have one, how can I adjust it to display color correctly?  What can I do to prevent a browser's color management settings from not displaying my images correctly?

Thank you very much for your kind consideration of my questions.  I look forward to hearing back from you, and will await your reply.

Best regards,

~Antonio