7 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2014 5:11 AM by Steve Grisetti

Pan and Zoom in Premier 12

AZ Aurora

I am already into my project, my files are all on my timeline and I am trying to use the Pan and Zoom. I have looked at Steve's instructions on You Tube and it looks straightforward and have followed his directions. However when I open up the pan and zoom on my horizontal shoot the first zoom shot does not fill my whole photo and I cannot get it to show the whole photo it wants to crop off a share on top and bottom. Here are my settings, My project  frame size is 1920 x 1080 I am in HD 1080i my capture is HDV. My images that are imported are at resolution of 150 and size of 1050 x 750. Can you tell me if my images have been sized wrong or if my DVD project settings are wrong to accomplish what I want to do with the Pan and Zoom? Any help would be great  Thanks

• 1. Re: Pan and Zoom in Premier 12
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Thanks for checking out my tutorials, AZ. I've got lots more free tutorials on my site http://Muvipix.com if you're interested.

If your project is set up for 1920x1080, you're going to need to use photos that are higher resolution than 1000x750 to fill the video frame. For high-definition projects like this, I recommend your photos be sized to 2000x1500. Then they should certainly fill your video frame, with enough left over to allow for some panning and zooming too!

• 2. Re: Pan and Zoom in Premier 12
            AZ Aurora Level 1

Steve, since my project is already underway and my pictures have all been reduced to the 1000 x 750 is there a different setting that I can use to get the full photo on pan and zoom? And if so could I change it now or would I need to start over. Thanks

• 3. Re: Pan and Zoom in Premier 12

If you right-click on the photo on your timeline, is Scale to Frame Size checked?

I usually recommend against checking it. In fact, I usually recommend that you turn it off in  your preferences so that your photos come in at their actual size rather than scaled to the size of the video frame. But in this particular case, it may save you re-sizing all of your photos.

On the other hand, it may also compromise the quality of your slideshow too. So it's kind of your choice which way you want to go: Either replacing your photos with 2000x1500 versions or using Scale to Frame Size to artificially make them large enough for your pan and zoom.

• 4. Re: Pan and Zoom in Premier 12
                AZ Aurora Level 1

Steve,

I actually tried that, unchecking the frame to size and it made my image smaller on the time line rather than increasing it. So what I am reading in this case I would have to start my project over and increase the resolution. My question on that is would the larger file image cause my program to crash due to the increase size? I have 200 photos not including my template pages that break up the subject matter and a few transitions. That is why I set my image size at 1050 x 750 Thanks

• 5. Re: Pan and Zoom in Premier 12

Well, checking rather than unchecking Scale to Frame Size should cause the photo to fill the frame. But if it didn't work, then you need to explore option 2.

Recreate your slides at 2000x1500 pixels in size. (If you've got an adequately powered, stable system, it shouldn't crash it.)

If you save your slides with the same names as your 1050x750 photos  and save them in the same folder, the program will automatically swap them in the next time you relaunch your project.

• 6. Re: Pan and Zoom in Premier 12
                    AZ Aurora Level 1

Steve, thank you for your help with the pan and zoom. Rather than have to redo the whole project I chose the images that I wanted to pan and zoom and inserted that image in the larger pixel size. I was than able to do a pan and zoom that I was happy with. I had added text and some transitions so did not want to start over. I will keep all of this on file for my next new project.

Thanks for your help.

• 7. Re: Pan and Zoom in Premier 12

Glad I could help, AZ. Can you please mark this thread as correctly answered?

And, of course, if you're looking for more tips, tutorials and even my step by step how-to guide, be sure to check out my web site at *** The Muvipix.com Guides to Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements 12 ***