6 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2014 10:32 AM by mary custureri

Template for 5.5 x 8.5 200 page book

mary custureri

Is there a template for a 5.5 x 8.5 book of about 200 pages?

• 1. Re: Template for 5.5 x 8.5 200 page book
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Moved to InDesign forum

• 2. Re: Template for 5.5 x 8.5 200 page book
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

What sort of things would you want in this template?

You really can make your own layout: 5.5 x 8.5 facing pages, set the margins for what you think will work well for you, then set a few pages and see how it looks. Change the margins if you need to, or adjust the text size, until you have a look you like. Create styles for the various styles of text you'll have, perhaps a master page or two for special cases like chapter starts (your main layout should have the margins defined on the first master page) and you're good to go.

• 3. Re: Template for 5.5 x 8.5 200 page book
              Tomek Kuczborski Level 4

Are you sure you would like to use DPS for that? It seems it's rather like an e-book job. What kind of of interactivity you intend to put into it?

• 4. Re: Template for 5.5 x 8.5 200 page book
                mary custureri Level 1

HI, PETER, this is beyond my capabilities.  That's why I asked for a template.  Can you answer another question? How can I go back into an existing in-design document and edit mistakes?  Someone has done an in-design book for me for one of my authors,  and I want to fix all the errors myself because she is very busy and the author needs the manuscript published very soon.  The layout was done on another computer with an older in-design program.  This latest manuscript has so many errors that I would like to fix them myself.  Thank  you so much.

• 5. Re: Template for 5.5 x 8.5 200 page book
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Mary,

You really have no business trying to make a book without some actual experience and training. I expect, though, that some of the online book publishers would have templates for that size that fit their workflows, and you can always google for something to see what comes up.

You can open a legacy file in a newer version, but I would advise against doing that, too, both because it will no longer be editable in the older version after you save it (should you want to send it back to the original designer) and because there are likely to be text re-flow issues you may not notice. New versions have different text engines and the text flows differently form older versions, but it will not affect existing text until you touch it in some way, then you can wind up with changes to page endings and oversets at the ends of stories, or chapters that start on the wrong page. There are also sufficient reports of directly converted legacy files suddenly going corrupt fro no apparent reason that I no longer convert except from .idml or .inx, which you would need to get from your original designer.

I can't really tell you how to fix errors unless I know what sort of errors these might be, and again, I suspect you probably should not be doing this yourself if you need to ask this question.

• 6. Re: Template for 5.5 x 8.5 200 page book
                    mary custureri Level 1

You are right, Peter.  I edit and print out some great books in my company, but I never touch the technical aspects if I can help it.  I pay others to do that. I was an English professor and never really adept at doing high tech; however,  because my publishing company is growing and I am sending out so many books, I wanted to be able to help out because of the larger quantity. Sometimes authors need their books quickly for speaking engagements.   I'm going to let this go for now and see if I can find someone locally to work on more books when they come in.  Thank  you.