26 Replies Latest reply: May 23, 2014 3:58 AM by SuiteSpot RSS

Problem with playback in Audition CC

MiqJaqqer Community Member

Hello everyone,

im new here and work with Audition CC at the moment..

now i went into an error or problem that i dont know how to solve.

Simple as that i have a laptop with a Realtek HD Audio Soundcard and want to play many clips in a multitrack in Audition..

the thing is, it seems that Audition does not have a problem playing back the whole audio track or bigger parts of it..

But when i cut the clip into smaller clips and paste them each after one then Audition seems to have playback crackle problems..

It could be that the latency is not accurate or the bits of the soundcard (currently at 24bit, 48kHz) are not correct..

I dont know what to do exactly?!

I tried many things but it didnt come to a conclusion yet..

this is how the multitrack looks like atm:

1.JPG

The bigger parts could be played back by Audition, the smaller ones NOT!

this is how the preferences look like atm:

3.JPG

Can you help me??

Thanks in advance,

MiqJaqqer

• 1. Re: Problem with playback in Audition CC
          ryclark Community Member

According to your Audio Hardware preferences the Sample Rate is set to 44100Hz but you state that the files in your multitrack session are 48000Hz sample rate. If your audio files are actually 48KHz  you need to set both the Multitrack Session and Audio Hardware sample rate to be the same.

• 2. Re: Problem with playback in Audition CC
            Bob Howes MVP

Okay, a few thoughts...

First, your latency (50ms) is pretty low for MME working.  You can get away with it with a "proper" audio interface with ASIO drivers but a Realtek with MME drivers often gets fussy long before that--try raising the latency to around 200ms and see what happens.

Second, you don't mention how you're creating your clips but, if you haven't done so already, go to Edit/Zero Crossings and turn that option on, selecting whichever option seems suitable for what you do.  (I generally use "adjust selection inwards")  This will make sure that each time you move from one clip to another the waveform will be at a zero crossing and therefore not "glitch" at all.

Finally, it looks to me like your signals are at a very high level for a work in progress--certainly higher than I'd want to work with.  It doesn't look like you have any overlap between the clips but, if you do, you'd easily be driving your system into clipping (which the Realtek is prone to--it has very little headroom).

• 3. Re: Problem with playback in Audition CC

Thanks for your answers guys,

I think I found the problem and solved it like this:

i now turned every option (Hardware & Sound (Computer/Soundcard), Audio Hardware, Multitracksession) to 48kHz..

my soundcard unfortunately doesnt support 32bit 48kHz only with 24bit 48kHz, so the option was 24bit for me..

and then i imported a mp3-file into the multitrack session with drag & drop and it worked!!

4 questions:

1. can i convert a whole multitrack session to 32bit after working with it is done??

or is there a driver or sth that supports 32bit for my soundcard?? (im no expert on this area..)

2. is 24bit so much worse than 32bit?? does it sound differently?

3. how can i solve it that if i exit Audition without saving any track sometimes doesnt save the standard settings i made before like standard view (bars & beats) or last imported files are all gone! or new multitrack session preferences??? thats soo bad if i have to make the settings all again

4. can i drag & drop a mp3-file into Audition instead of pressing the Open.. button??

Thanks again..

• 4. Re: Problem with playback in Audition CC
                SteveG(AudioMasters) Community Member

MiqJaqqer wrote:

4 questions:

1. can i convert a whole multitrack session to 32bit after working with it is done??

or is there a driver or sth that supports 32bit for my soundcard?? (im no expert on this area..)

2. is 24bit so much worse than 32bit?? does it sound differently?

3. how can i solve it that if i exit Audition without saving any track sometimes doesnt save the standard settings i made before like standard view (bars & beats) or last imported files are all gone! or new multitrack session preferences??? thats soo bad if i have to make the settings all again

4. can i drag & drop a mp3-file into Audition instead of pressing the Open.. button??

1 & 2. Generally, unless you've set them otherwise, multitrack sessions will be in 32-bit Floating Point anyway - it's the internal working format. It's the Floating Point bit that's different - this isn't an integer format like 24-bit at all. It is like 24-bit - that's it's basic bit depth, but it goes further than that; the other bits are scaling and sign bits, and it's these that make it far more flexible in production - you virtually can't overload the format, neither can you shrink signals so small that they can't be fully recovered; it's clever! Unfortunately sound devices can't cope with this though, and if you present a massive 32-bit signal to them, then they will overload their outputs and sound dreadful. So, the driver in your sound device interprets the 32-bit signals correctly, converts them to 24 bit internally, because that's how real world signals fed to an A-D converter have to be. It's up to you to get it right. Other than that, there's absolutely no sound difference at all.

So in production terms, the big advantage of Floating Point signals is that you don't get the loss you'd get from shrinking integer signals too small, and saving them as such, when you'd lose the bit depth for ever.

3. You have to save your desktop layout as a separate preset, and then you should be able to recall it with all of its settings. If all of your settings are disappearing though, then it's possible that the .xml file that they are being written to is being deleted by something like a system protection system, and then you'll be back to a vanilla system when Audition can't find them (the vanilla files get restored automatically).

4. I think you can drag and drop MP3 files, yes. They will automatically get converted into whatever the session format is though - Audition can't handle them directly in that format at all.

HTH

• 5. Re: Problem with playback in Audition CC

thanks for your fast answers!

to 4.: either im too stupid or sth is wrong with Audition?!

i cannot drag & drop a file into Audition so that it is automatically loaded! Is there a setting that must be done before i can do it?

For now just the "crossed out" mouse pointer is shown when i drag a file into Audition..

• 6. Re: Problem with playback in Audition CC

MiqJaqqer wrote:

to 4.: either im too stupid or sth is wrong with Audition?!

i cannot drag & drop a file into Audition so that it is automatically loaded! Is there a setting that must be done before i can do it? For now just the "crossed out" mouse pointer is shown when i drag a file into Audition..

I just tried it to make sure. Certainly with a 44.1k MP3 file and a 44.1k session it worked perfectly - a dragged file drops straight onto the timeline, and appears in the file list. What should happen (I think) with a file that's not at the session rate is that Audition will tell you that it's going to make a sample-rate-converted copy and use that - and then it will convert your 44.1k MP3 to, say, a 48k wav copy and use this copy in the session, rather than the file you tried to drop.

No there are no special settings required - I did this using W7 Pro and Audition CC. As far as I'm aware it works just the same with CS6. On the other hand, you aren't the first person who's complained about not being able to do this, I think. So what is going on, I'm not sure. Perhaps Durin knows?

• 7. Re: Problem with playback in Audition CC
                      ryclark Community Member

Just checked with AA CS6 and it worked as you said Steve. Also tried dropping an mp3 onto the CS6 desktop icon and that opened Audition and loaded itself into the Waveform view.

• 8. Re: Problem with playback in Audition CC

very strange..

i tried dragging it onto the desktop icon and it worked..

but dragging it directly into the program doesnt work!

maybe it has sth to do that i need to accept the start of the program (with the notification message box from Windows security)..donno

• 9. Re: Problem with playback in Audition CC
                          SuiteSpot Community Member

I have the same problem here Steve - I can drag a wav or mp3 into multitrack in Au3 but can not drag one into Au5.5, CS6 or CC even if it is the same sample rate as the session

Most annoying

• 10. Re: Problem with playback in Audition CC

No Durin this is not new behaviour - this has been happening since Au 5.5 - I just assumed that this was a feature that had not yet been implemented or was not going to be implemented

I don't know if this is linked to the multiband compressor not displaying any 'spectral' type activity - be interesting to know if the OP has that same multiband compressor issue as well.

PS Pretty weird that I can post this reply before you ask the question

• 11. Re: Problem with playback in Audition CC

SuiteSpot wrote:

PS Pretty weird that I can post this reply before you ask the question

I think time runs differently in Oz!

.... this is not new behaviour - this has been happening since Au 5.5 - I just assumed that this was a feature that had not yet been implemented or was not going to be implemented

I don't know if this is linked to the multiband compressor not displaying any 'spectral' type activity - be interesting to know if the OP has that same multiband compressor issue as well.

It can't be feature-related, can it? I mean it works fine for at least a couple of us, and always has. Strikes me that this has to be a restriction on external behaviour, rather than Audition behaviour. IOW, it's something that's been restricted by your OS. I know it's possible to set up registry policies to do things like this, but generally there aren't any set at all by default - well certainly not on any system you've installed yourself. If you bought a machine with an OEM install though, it could easily be different. So my question would be whether the same behaviour happens with other audio software, or is it still just Audition?

• 12. Re: Problem with playback in Audition CC

I agree that it works for others so logic says that it has to be something to do with my setup - except, as I mentioned, I can drag an audio file into Audition 3.

And since you ask, yes, I can drag an audio file into any other DAW I have, eg Reaper, Nuendo, PT and the list goes on

Very weird

• 13. Re: Problem with playback in Audition CC

The only other thing that springs to mind (and this may well be related to your lack of spectral display) is that it's not Audition directly, but the driver for your video card not allowing anything to be dropped onto it - if for some reason, Audition tells it not to allow it. Yes I know that makes about as much sense as chocolate hot water pipes, but something's causing it...

• 14. Re: Problem with playback in Audition CC

Well I checked to see if there was an update for the video card and I'll be blowed there was one - so with great anticipation I updated it and rebooted and.....

no change

sigh......

It was worth the try

• 15. Re: Problem with playback in Audition CC
                                      _durin_ Adobe Employee

Not sure if related, but might be worth checking:

Solved Can't drag files from Explorer into 64-bit programs

and

VS 2008 [RESOLVED] Unable to drag drop in windows 7 64 bit-VBForums

In these cases, it sounds like the problem was UAC in Windows. 

• 16. Re: Problem with playback in Audition CC

thanks man..

this solved it:

1. open 'regedit' within Run..

2. search for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

3. Change  EnableLUA from 1 to 0

thanks alot to all who helped me so fast!!

• 17. Re: Problem with playback in Audition CC

MiqJaqqer wrote:

1. open 'regedit' within Run..

2. search for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

3. Change  EnableLUA from 1 to 0

Well there you go. Just as I suspected above, a Microsoft policy issue!

• 18. Re: Problem with playback in Audition CC

Problem is I have no such EnableLUA entry

And what also concerns me is why every single other application apart from Audition (including ones I write myself) do not have a problem with drag n drop

Edit:

According to this link VS 2008 [RESOLVED] Unable to drag drop in windows 7 64 bit-VBForums

"Ok this was due to the UAC settings, the program being copied from (in this case Outlook) needs to be run on the same permission level as the application - which is by default running as administrator

So even if I run Explorer as an administrator (as I do for Audition) still no drag n drop

Edit 2:

Lets not make this too easy - Drag n Drop works just fine in Photoshop CC (jpgs etc) & Premiere CS6 (audio files)

• 19. Re: Problem with playback in Audition CC

SuiteSpot wrote:

Problem is I have no such EnableLUA entry

Maybe you need one! That would not be unknown... In fact, what entries do you have under system? There should be about 17 if them, including EnableLUA.

• 20. Re: Problem with playback in Audition CC

I have 18

Default, ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin, ConsentPromptBehaviorUser, dontdisplaylastusername, EnableInstallerDetection, EnableLinkedConnections

EnableSecureUIAPaths, EnableUIADesktopToggle, EnableVirtualization, FilterAdministratorToken, legalnoticecaption, legalnoticecaption,
                                                PromptOnSecureDesktop, scforceoption, shutdownwithoutlogon, SoftwareSASGeneration, undockwithoutlogon, ValidateAdminCodeSignatures

• 21. Re: Problem with playback in Audition CC

So Durin's idea that it may be UAC related plus MigJagger's success got me thinking (yes who would think I was capable of that especially at this time of the morning).

Not being the adventurous kind and not willing to add an entry to the registry - well not unless absolutely necessary - prompted me to try running CC NOT as an Administrator (not really sure why I was in the first place anyway???).

Anyway for all those staying up late at night racking their brains for me and this issue take heed it is no longer required because NOT running CC as an Administrator allows me to Drag n Drop - go figure!

Thanks all

BTW That didn't fix my problem of not seeing any spectral activity using the Multiband compressor - not that I expected it but then no-one expects the Spanish Inquisition either

• 22. Re: Problem with playback in Audition CC

SuiteSpot wrote:

Not being the adventurous kind and not willing to add an entry to the registry - well not unless absolutely necessary - prompted me to try running CC NOT as an Administrator (not really sure why I was in the first place anyway???).

Anyway for all those staying up late at night racking their brains for me and this issue take heed it is no longer required because NOT running CC as an Administrator allows me to Drag n Drop - go figure!

All that demonstrates very adequately is that this IS a permissions issue! If I get a chance later (weird customer permitting) I'll post a list of what's in mine... and adding registry entries isn't a problem - if they cause grief, just remove them again!

• 23. Re: Problem with playback in Audition CC

So what type is EnableLUA, string value, binary value, dword (32 bit) value, dword (64 bit) value, etc ??

• 24. Re: Problem with playback in Audition CC

It's binary, and on the face of it, I can't see why it should make a scrap of difference really. It enables the Limited User Account, and it's the older name for UAC (User Account Controls) and is supposedly all to do with notifications, but I suspect that it might have implications...

• 25. Re: Problem with playback in Audition CC
                                                          ryclark Community Member

On my Win 7 64 the entry is:

EnableLUA      REG_DWORD     0x00000000 (0)

at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

• 26. Re: Problem with playback in Audition CC

Thanks ryclark - I thought it must be a 32bit DWord entry

I have added the entry  - set to 0 and can now drag n drop - same as if not running as an administrator

thanks all

Multiband compressor problem is next