2 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2014 1:04 AM by Jakras

Automatically importing data, formatting them and exporting as PDF.

Jakras Level 1

Hello everyone,

I am new to scripting (i did some things in AS years ago), but i have some time to learn (like 3 full-day months + courses). I got this project where i need to make automatic process which would do:

------------------------

1. Importing data to multi-page template
        1. Multisectional - each data to different chapter
        2. Be able to add pages (based on masters?) if necessary
        3. Have another condition: if there is nothing in a chapter, delete it
      2. Format this imported text with paragraph / character styles > Titles, subtitles, lists, plain text
      3. Export as PDF X1

------------------------

Anyway, my question is, is this even possible to make within ID and it's scripting? What would be the best file format for importing (i would pick the data from webpage form) or do you have any tips for me for what should i look for?

Is this something so difficult, i should rather be asking for professional or can i just jump into it and try to do my best?

Sorry for my English and many thanks for you answers :-) Have a nice day.

• 1. Re: Automatically importing data, formatting them and exporting as PDF.
          Harbs. Level 6

Yes. It's possible.

The best way to figure out how to script something is to figure out how you'd do it manually, and follow those steps using the scripting interface.

Regarding your question on formatting, it's really a question of what you are most comfortable with, and the original format. Tell us some more about the workflow and your skillset, and we can probably give better advice.

Harbs

• 2. Re: Automatically importing data, formatting them and exporting as PDF.
            Jakras Level 1

Hello Harbs. and thank you for your answer :-)

First of all, i'm not yet sure how to even call in the data. I suppose this would be something i would do:

Web form would export data marking every single field with some markers.

Then using find/change and very probably GREP styles to format the text after markers – this should be easy.

I'm not sure it is even possible to import automatically external data to indesign and tell it:

1. If you read "Ferrari"(marker) in import data, create page, apply "Master F" on it.
            2. If imported text exceeds the page, add new page and continue there.
            3. If you read "Ferrari" insert page before the page with marker and apply "Master_F_Chapter" on it.
            4. If you read "Ferrari_Title"(another marker) apply paragraph style "Ferrari_Title"

Does it make sense? Sorry for my bad English.