I had the same problem on Win XP (Home) and Firework MX after
complete reinstall of my system.
There might be two triggers for the problem
1. I used my regular user account to install most of the
downgraded it afterwards to a limited user account! This
seems to be a
bad idea at all!!! Several programs (incl. Outlook, etc.)
start afterwards, because of corrupted user rights (i.e. no
access even for the owner of the files). Allways use an admin
for installing - don't change the rights of your regular
2. I restored my old macromedia configuration files (located
copying them directly or using the windows "sicherung"
found that the user and group information for that files were
- I completely uninstalled the mx suite (probably fireworks
enough) and in addition to that
- removed all directories not deleted by the installer and
- cleaned the registry manually from some "Fireworks"
careful with that!! Have a look at this reg-key first:
You probably don't have to delete all the "Edit with
and file associations.
I hope this might help a little.
By the way - I used the cygwin shell and the "ls", "chmod"
commands to detect and change the user rights of files. This
appropriate solution for the problems with all other