4 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2014 8:21 AM by Twaing

Illustrator file into customizable PDF

Twaing

I have created a "bid form" in Illustrator 6 for a client. They want to be able to pull it up in acrobat, fill in the fields according to the client, job, customizations, etc. They want general blocks of info to remain on each form (which is part of the form I've designed in Illustrator) How do I import the ai file for .pdf usage in acrobat?

• 1. Re: Illustrator file into customizable PDF
          jcanepa Adobe Employee

In Illustrator do a Save As... and set file type as pdf.  To add the fillable form fields will require Acrobat Pro.

-Jeff

• 2. Re: Illustrator file into customizable PDF
            Twaing Level 1

Thanks, I have acrobat pro but all the forums I've looked at give hints and steps to making this form with excel or word or .rtf but nothing from originating in .ai. That is what I'm trying to find out and what those steps are.

Do you know that?

Trace

• 3. Re: Illustrator file into customizable PDF
              jcanepa Adobe Employee

When you save the .ai file as a .pdf file it will contain no form fields.  In Acrobat Pro XI you will launch the application.  In the splash screen (or welcome screen) you will click on the Create Form button.  In the Create Form dialog select From Existing Document and click the Next> button.  In the next dialog you use Choose Another File and then use the Browse button to navigate and select the .pdf you created in Illustrator.  The .pdf file will open in Form editing mode.  The tools for adding fields will appear on the right.

This will work for Acrobat Pro X as well, but the names of the buttons may differ slightly.

-Jeff

• 4. Re: Illustrator file into customizable PDF
                Twaing Level 1

You are awesome!!! worked great. Now one more question if you don't mind (hopefully one more)

When I sent this file to my client for use, do they need to go through all the steps like I did to get to an editable form? I just sent myself the .pdf that was saved after form editing and when I open it - it is just a regular .pdf form (non-editable) Is there a way to save it so it is always the editable version? I'm happy to send you the form to review if that would be of any help. Also are you actually adobe help or forum help (can't tell) I really appreciate this help.

Trace