3 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2014 11:40 PM by Migintosh

I have a PDF document with 10 pages that I need to make into a book?

FoJoSho

I received a PDF file containing 10 pages of a newsletter that needs to be turned into a book using InDesign. Is there a method that I may use to take the pages from this PDF file and make a book with 10 pages in InDesign?

• 1. Re: I have a PDF document with 10 pages that I need to make into a book?
          Migintosh Level 4

There are programs that will do a conversion for you, and the results will vary depending on the complexity of the PDF. If the PDF is very straight-forward, you might get something useful, but if it is complicated, you might have to do extensive editing once the InDesign file has been generated. There are a few choices, but one can be found at:

PDF to InDesign, Convert PDF to InDesign, PDF to InDesign converter

• 2. Re: I have a PDF document with 10 pages that I need to make into a book?
            tman69 Level 3

for a 'simple' book:

create a new indesign document with 10 pages--uncheck facing pages in the setup dialog--set the page size, margins, bleeds--then--go to file>place>locate the PDF--check the checkbox that says 'show import options'  choose 'media' from dropdown menu -- choose  (pages) ALL-- double click the file name (the PDF)--this will load all 10 pages to your cursor--go to page 1--click with cursor (this will place page 1) go to page 2 and  click, page 3 click, etc etc--you can go back and re-position the pages later...

note: if the plan is to print and staple the book, you will need 12 pages--and also note--the placed art will not be editable.

• 3. Re: I have a PDF document with 10 pages that I need to make into a book?
              Migintosh Level 4

Along with the art, the type will also not be editable with that method, but I wonder what advantage an InDesign file would be over the original PDF, other than the fact that it is an InDesign file (which may be necessary in the intended workflow, but I sort-of doubt that, since PDF is the preferred final format for many modern workflows) or possibly the imposition of the pages into printer's spreads, which can be done on some network copiers from a file that is set up as reader's spreads, but maybe not anything the OP has. I think the goal is more likely an InDesign file that can be edited or formatted in some way that makes it different from the original PDF, but that is also just a guess.