13 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2014 4:33 PM by eddie8

Advice on upgrading the video editing workstation

eddie8

Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade my PC this next week or so and I'm struggling to find a good balance between available budget and power required to run Premier Pro 5.5

Available budget is around £800 all in

This is my starting spec:

Asus Z87-Pro Socket 1150 DVI HDMI Display Port 8-channel Audio ATX Motherboard - £140.00

Intel Core i7 4770K 3.50GHz Socket 1150 8MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor - £240.00

Asus GTX 760 Direct CU II 2GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card - £200.00

Kingston Hyper X 16GB 2400MHz DDR3 CL11 DIMM (Kit of 2) XMP Beast Series - £120.00

Samsung 250GB SSD 840 EVO - SSD Only - £120.00

WD Black 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5-inch SATA 6 7200 RPM 64 MB cache 5 Year Warranty - £60.00

Corsair CSM 750W Semi Modular 80+ Gold Power Supply - £80.00

Processor cooling - Suggestions?

However, I know there's allot of extras built in to this particular list that I probably don't need/won't make use of (8 track audio springs to mind) and I'm wondering how I can significantly shave off a good chunk of change without to much compromise on core power and balance.  I'm still learning Premier Pro so my main concerns at this stage of my self development is playback and rendering power.  I shoot video at 720p on my Canon 500DSLR. Not panning on upgrading the camera this year but it would be nice to be able to work with 1080p footage in due course.

Questions:

1. Do I go with i7 or will i5 be sufficient for now (1 - 2 years before next upgrade)

2. Is there a lower spec Mobo (without the bells and whistles) that will do the job at half the price?

3. Will I get away with a 120gig SSD for my OS

4. Is the graphics card overkill (not planning on doing any gaming or 3D rendering).. do I need one just yet or will a decent mobo do the job for now.

I'm currently running:

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13GHz

4.00 GB of RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT

Antec Case  (I know, the cables are a mess... another thing I need to address on the new build)

Finally, would I be better served (with the available budget and video editing experience) buying an off the shelf build dedicated to video editing (not hooked up to the internet) and keeping the old system for everyday workstation duties?

pc-01.png

• 1. Re: Advice on upgrading the video editing workstation
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You should be asking/reading in Hardware Forum

Tweakers Page is a good resource

The Samsung PRO ssd is better, from all the reports I have read

• 2. Re: Advice on upgrading the video editing workstation
            Jim_Simon Level 8

[Moved to Hardware forum.]

• 4. Re: Advice on upgrading the video editing workstation
              JEShort01 Level 4

Your upgrade parts list is pretty solid!

Suggestions:

- Get the newer Asus Z97-Pro instead; Intel and Asus have updated a few things and I would expect it to be a better choice.

- Pick a faster SSD for your boot drive (EVOs benchmark well, but have poor large file write speed). I can recommend both the Samsung Pro 840 256GB and the Seagate 600 240GB. Intel's 730 is even better, but they are pricey.

- Pick a larger HD, 2TB or 3TB. The increase size will benefit speed and give you more grow room. Rotating drives start slowing down when they reach about 50% full. The larger drives also have more platters and heads which give you better speed for Premiere Pro - yes this is true, even though the drive manufacturers claim similar speed for their 1, 2, 3, and 4 TB models .

- A good budget cooler is the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Cheers,

Jim

• 6. Re: Advice on upgrading the video editing workstation
                Chase Chick Level 1

I would move down to 120gb EVO and run Samsung RAPID which will considerably boost the performance of that drive.  And you really don't need all that much space, so 120gb is sufficient for a C drive.

For the rest, what is your budget exactly?

More drives and RAM are always going to help with video editing machines, RAM especially with After Effects, consider moving up to 32 and you will be happier.  Also consider a 4 disk system with SSD's for OS, programs, SSD for cache, scratch, and HDD's for the source, project, and export.  The most drives you can get to break up I/O the zippier your system will be.

Also, definitely go with i7.  The more you can splurge on the processor the better.

• 7. Re: Advice on upgrading the video editing workstation
                  eddie8 Level 1

Following some extensive web research I ended up with a sort of wish list (above). Ideally I’d like to keep the whole budget sub £1000 (Have an Antec case and an array of spare HDDs as well as the usual add-ons and peripherals such as CD/DVD drive, OEM Win7 Pro, external storage drives and external sound cards and audio mixing desk. Baring in mind my current rig is at least 4-5 years out of date. Anything I do will give me a significant boost in productivity but it’s clearly important that I balance the main components as best I can.  Good Mobo, Good processor, good PSU good HDD setup and the biggest bag of RAM I can lay me hands on right now. I also like the sound of having 2 x SSD at 120GB, running 1 for OS and 1 as Cache/Scratch disk.

I think it’s worth pointing out (if not already evident) that I consider myself to be an A/V enthusiast with semi-pro ambitions.  I don’t want/need top end power or budget hardware as it would be wasted on my level of experience/capability right now. But an HD render is and HD render now matter how well it’s been edited and that’s the bit I really find painful to sit through right now.

Thanks again for the continued input peeps..  All helping to build confidence in my 2014 shopping list.

• 8. Re: Advice on upgrading the video editing workstation
                    Chase Chick Level 1

Depending on how pressing your need is, my advice would be to wait for Haswell-E coming sometime in the second half of 2014.  Having those extra PCI lanes on a z97 (or the rumored z99) motherboard will make you a much happier camper.

I would go with this mobo:  Newegg.com - z97 extreme6

Get a 6 core Haswell-E around the 500 dollar USD price point

32 gigs of RAM at 1866

Nvidia 760

Samsung EVO 120 gb for OS

PNY 240 gb pro for cache (they are having crazy sales on this at Newegg, I saw it for like $120 the other day)

Find a decent RAID card for like 500 or so

Or course this plan is going to cost $2000 USD before you get anything else.  But I'm assuming you have a PSU, case, and you mentioned that you have some HDD, and others too.

• 9. Re: Advice on upgrading the video editing workstation
                      eddie8 Level 1

Thanks again for your input Chase Chick.  However, I think I mentioned at the outset that I wanted to try and keep my budget around the £800 ($1350) for the main components upgrade. Primarily mobo and processor. Of course It would be so much easier to just bite the bullet and spend a more realistic £1400 but it's just not possible right now without using a credit card (which ain't my style). And I simply can't wait any longer as my current rig is already overdue a rebuild by about 2 years, partly because of available finances for such things, but mostly because I keep putting off the upgrade because something newer, faster and better value is always just a few months away form release!

Sure, I'd love a super sonic high-end rig but I simply cant justify it (just yet). However, the challenge here is to hit a reasonable step up from my current Intel Core Duo rig with a view to another step up in the next 18 month when more funds will be available. Spec wise, I figured that I should be aiming for something that was pretty darn good back in mid 2013?

• 10. Re: Advice on upgrading the video editing workstation
                        eddie8 Level 1

OK so I've managed to shave about £250 off my original list prices, which should enable me to get pretty good monitor upgrade. Of course something had to give so there's a few compromises but at my level of experience I doubt I'll notice it.  Because I'm not intending to over-clock I didn't go for the K rated processor which saves about £30. Plus I'm assured that the stock processor cooling should be more than adequate to manage the processor temp (I will monitor that). However, I will be replacing old case fans and adding a couple more at the front to be safe. I have effectively halved the original price of the mobo and the graphics card too.

I tried shopping at Ebuyer, Amazon and a few others on Ebay plus I contacted a number of smaller local to suppliers to me (in Yorkshire) but none of them got anywhere close to the customer service help and support I received form the people at RL Supplies [Watford] - Laptop PC & Computer Repairs & Sales which was really what I needed to commit to this re-build and crack on.

Ordered and expecting delivery on Monday 2nd June.

Finalised Shopping List - May 2014

Processor - Intel i7-4770 3.4Ghz quad core cpu - £205 +VAT

Motherboard - Asrock Z97 Pro3 LGA 1150 Full ATX Motherboard - £70 +VAT

Power Supply - Gigabyte Superb 620W Big Fan ATX Power Supply - £46 +VAT

OS Platform  - Samsung 120Gb EVO SSD - £55 +VAT
                        File Storage - WD Black 1TB (7200rpm) SATA 6Gb/s 64MB 3.5 inch - £55 +VAT

Graphics Card - GT640 Nvidia 4GB 128bit Low Pro - £70 +VAT

RAM – 16Gig of HyperX (2 x 8GB) FURY Memory Black - £110 +VAT

Firewire - PCI-Express Firewire 2 external & 1 internal port - £8 +VAT

Existing Components:

Antec Case

Windows 7Pro OEM

Lacie External DL DVD/CD Burner (Firewire/USB)

Internal LG DVD/CD

4 x HHD (total 3TB)

2 x Acer AL1916W VGA's Monitors

Total £750 including VAT and Delivery

• 11. Re: Advice on upgrading the video editing workstation
                          Chase Chick Level 1

I have the 4770 and it's a great chip no doubt.  But for the same price you can get the Haswell refresh 4790 (which wasn't available when I was shopping).  I say go for that, and think about bumping up the graphics card a notch.  640 may be lacking.

• 12. Re: Advice on upgrading the video editing workstation
                            Chase Chick Level 1

In fact, here's a great list of recommended cards

AnandTech | Best Video Cards: May 2014

• 13. Re: Advice on upgrading the video editing workstation
                              eddie8 Level 1

All done now. Thanks again for all the helpful pointers. Will report back on how it fairs once it's built and tuned

;-)