12 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2014 2:08 PM by Rogerbear

Indesign: problems with lines

Rogerbear

Hi,

I am working on an urgent client piece and I can't seem to figure something out with rules.

I am in CS5.

I have done this all using tabs and need to keep it in this format

2. I need to find a way to create variable line thicknesses e.g 0.25 pt and 0.75 pt in document

3. How do I do this within paragraph styles

Any help on this would be much appreciated

let me know what I should do differently in my paragraph style setting.

There is an example of piece as it needs to be as well as how it is currently

This is how it needs to look

Screen shot 2014-05-20 at 10.33.39 AM.png

This is how it currently looksScreen shot 2014-05-20 at 11.15.41 AM.png

• 1. Re: Indesign: problems with lines
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I would do this with a table, much as I hate working with them, adding some narrow blank columns where you want the gaps in the cell strokes....

• 2. Re: Indesign: problems with lines

well, perhaps not, seeing as you have a lot of rules that don't actually align horizontally. Two column text frame with left and right indents applied and paragraph rules set to column width.

• 3. Re: Indesign: problems with lines

P Spier wrote:

Two column text frame with left and right indents applied and paragraph rules set to column width.

and add a very small amount of negative indent to the rules to make them project past the text slightly.

• 4. Re: Indesign: problems with lines
                Rogerbear Level 1

Thank you, for your feedback Peter!

How do I go about getting rid of the extra lines at the bottom and change stroke thickness on different rules?

• 5. Re: Indesign: problems with lines

To get rid of the extra rules either delete the blank paragraphs, or remove the rules from them in the paragraph rules dialog. That's also where you would change the weight and offset for any rule.

• 6. Re: Indesign: problems with lines
                    Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

And, not to forget, a rule, that will move the position of the text in brackets to the second line, if it will not fit in the first line. This cannot be done automatically. Though scripting will help for this.

To pack all the features of this layout into one text frame, I think you have to do it with a table. Or with several tables. Tables within table cells are also possible, but then updating the information will be hell…

As a start we could use a table with 3 cells. And a anquored text frame with two columns holding itself a table. The vertical divider line is a problem. Hm. Have to think about this again…

No. The divider line will be no problem, if it set in the "basic" table. But then we need some more cells.

Aim is: keep the flow of the data as linear as possible. Even if it means to split the original data into more than one table.

Alright: let's start with a simple 2 columns, 3 or 4 rows table depending if you want the headline and the sub-head in one or in separate* cells.
                    Then merge all cells in the first (*and the second) and the last row.

Then we need a second text frame with two columns and one table set with one column and about 20 rows.

That could be set to autogrow from above center with the text frame options (CS6 and above). In this table there wil go all the contents of the section "Each Tablet Contains".

Nearly all cells are without a rule, but the ones seen here surrounding most of the table.

All other rules are set by paragraph styles.

Conclusion: can be done. A bit complex to set up, but doable without interrupting the incoming stream of information too much. I assume that most of the text is coming from a data base or spreadsheet file.

I'd like to supply some screenshots here, but while setting up such a table in InDesign CC v9.2.1, InDesign suddenly is hanging and showing the color wheel. Now this is lasting a few minutes; the time it is taking me to write this all up. Will shoot the app and retry…

Uwe

• 7. Re: Indesign: problems with lines
                      Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Ok. Now the screenshots:

Steps 1 to 4 in two different views.

ComplexTable_Step1-4_HiddenCharsVisible.png

ComplexTable_Step1-4.png

Uwe

• 8. Re: Indesign: problems with lines
                        Obi-wan Kenobi Adobe Community Professional

Hi,

I just take a look to Roger's screenshots. It's really very simple to do this this with a 2 columns text block + para rules.

• 9. Re: Indesign: problems with lines
                          Daniel Flavin Level 4

Obi-wan Kenobi wrote:

Hi,

I just take a look to Roger's screenshots. It's really very simple to do this this with a 2 columns text block + para rules.

I agree with Obi-wan. This could exist as a frame, with indents, 2 columns, (first two lines) Heads Span Columns. I see only two stroke weights needed (with HeadsSpanCols. using a third).

The vertical rule is a hassle, but there are techniques.

If the OP posted raw text, a "proof of concept" example might be posted.

• 10. Re: Indesign: problems with lines
                            Obi-wan Kenobi Adobe Community Professional

Salut Daniel,

N'en déplaise à certains, autant parler français.

Pour ce qui est du filet vertical, on finira avec la Marseillaise et InGutter de Marc Autret ! 

• 11. Re: Indesign: problems with lines

I've had a few PMs with Roger, and I believe that's exactly how it's now being done.

• 12. Re: Indesign: problems with lines
                                Rogerbear Level 1

Thank you for all your help, was so useful!!!