16 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2014 5:03 PM by A.T. Romano

Have video but no audio

lowgunberry13

when i get media uploaded to Premiere elements 10 I lose my audio

• 1. Re: Have video but no audio
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Exactly what are you editing?

Codec & Format information, with 2 links inside for you to read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30 for screen shot instructions

Free programs to get file information for PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

• 2. Re: Have video but no audio
            lowgunberry13 Level 1

right now a mountain hike, I have a class reunion project coming up in a month as well. Once I get the media files in to Elements 10 for some reason I am getting no audio from the files

• 3. Re: Have video but no audio
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I did not ask the subject, I ask for video details... please go back and click the links I provided before and read

• 4. Re: Have video but no audio
                A.T. Romano Level 7

lowgunberry12

In trying to customize an answer for you to get you moving forward in your project, my troubleshooting questions would include.

What computer operating system are you running Premiere Elements 10 on?

Because of the nature of the problem that you describe, it is important to know the details of your video properties and your project settings.

So, we would be looking for

Video Compression

Audio Compression and Stereo or 5.1 channel

Frame Size

Frame Rate

Interlaced or Progressive

Pixel Aspect Ratio

And, the typical question is what project preset did you set to match the properties of your source video?

A quick way to give us that information is for you to give us the brand/model/settings for the camera the recorded the video. Otherwise, you could be using MediaInfo and/or GSpot properties readout programs to get that information. And, check out Edit Menu/Project Settings/General Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Rate, and Pixel Aspect Ratios to get at the project preset that was set for the project.

Other important insights from you would include:

a. Are you importing only video into the Project Media or is there an audio component there?

b. When you drag the file to the Timeline, do you see an audio file on Audio 1, with waveform?

c. Is the loss of audio confined to this particular footage in this particular project? Same problem if you open a new project with this or different footage?

Please review the above and then we can explore what next. But, the answers will be in the details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Have video but no audio
                  lowgunberry13 Level 1

I did a video few months ago no issues now all of a sudden no audio

Using a GOPRO camera  and a Sony Handycam DCR-SR47

Running on laptop HP pavilion DM4 

Like i said I am importing files that have both video and audio though about uninstalling and reinstalling program, Half this crap I just read just went over my head. Last time I needed help a lady just took over my laptop remotely and fixed it for me, can't remember how to get back to that chat help section though.

• 6. Re: Have video but no audio
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

lowgunberry13

This is not Adobe. This is a user to user forum.

It is unrealistic of you to post without supplying details of your situation. Premiere Elements 10, media import, no audio is not going to "cut it" to help us help you.

Your reply to John was not what he asked...

right now a mountain hike, I have a class reunion project coming up in a month as well. Once I get the media files in to Elements 10 for some reason I am getting no audio from the files

Thank you for some additional information that you have subsequently added to your thread. Consider, when I try to get some information with which to work, you insult me with your description of the type of information needed. This is a user to user forum. We do not have access to your computer. We need to recover the needed information from you directly and not remotely.

We are more than willing to clarifiy anything you do not understand. But you need to make an attempt to gather the information we need. However, since the "remove control" seems to work for you, you might want to contact Adobe via its Adobe Chat in the hopes of getting your "remote control" help.

Contact Customer Care

You can select the category. I have set it for Downloading, Installing, and Setting Up since many of the categories just bounce you back to the forums instead of opening Adobe Chat.

If you want to work with us in a helpful exchange of information to get the job done, we would be glad for the opportunity to try to help you. If you say this worked before but not now, it goes without saying that we need to explore the before and after in detail.

ATR

• 7. Re: Have video but no audio
                      lowgunberry13 Level 1

Never mind guys found the chat room and its not that im unwilling to get the info its that I have no idea how to get the info but thanks anyway.

Never

• 8. Re: Have video but no audio
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

lowgunberry13

Glad matters worked out for you. Thanks for taking the time for the follow up.

The remote control from Adobe seems the best for you. But, if it ever becomes necessary, we can guide you through the Q&A. We are eager for you to succeed.

Best wishes

ATR

• 9. Re: Have video but no audio
                          lowgunberry13 Level 1

Just got done with Chat apparently they are no longer trained to help with the older software and told me to upgrade. Ive only had this software for 2 years.

• 10. Re: Have video but no audio
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

lowgunberry13

If you are willing, I am willing to give this a try. Premiere Elements 10 is a good version.

Let us start this way....

a. When you import your video with it linked audio into the program's Timeline, can you see audio content in the opened Audio 1?

b. Are these new recordings from your GoPro and Sony? Do you have any of the older recordings from these camcorders (when things were working) so that you can test to see if older and newer recordings both have no sound in Premiere Elements today?

c. Have you opened the Audio Mix to assure that none of the Audio tracks are muted. (See Speaker Icon/Audio Mixer above Timeline). If you look at the Audio sliders there, are they all at 0 dB?

d. If you go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Audio Hardware and then click on "ASIO", what do you find enabled under Input and Output?

e. Are the videos that you are importing straight from the camcorders or are you converting them in some program before they get imported into Premiere Elements?

Let us start here if you want and then move forward accordingly.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: Have video but no audio
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Lowgunberry13,

Adobe PrE 10 is now 3 versions old, or between 2.5 and 3 years old, so what you were told by Adobe Technical Support is correct - Adobe is only offering direct support for PrE 12 at this time. That means that the Adobe Forums, or similar, will be the best course of action to find out what is going on with your Audio in the files.

First, let's step back a bit, and discuss what goes into an AV (Audio & Video) file. There are CODEC's used to compress both the Audio Stream and the Video Stream in the file. The CODEC's are the "building blocks" for AV files - not just playback, but also for editing. Most CODEC's are used for proper playback of both the Audio & Video Streams, but then also for editing those Streams, with programs, such as PrE. Many CODEC's work well with PrE, but that can depend on the exact CODEC's involved. Knowing the details, including the CODEC inside the Audio & Video Streams can hold a lot of helpful information, when troubleshooting. That is why linked references to file information programs, like G-Spot and MediaInfo were given. They can usually provide that necessary information.

Now, when Audio is not present, when one has properly Imported an AV file (with both an Audio Stream and a Video Stream), is when the user does not allow PrE to Conform the Audio. This is an important step, prior to editing, and one that is often overlooked, when one is in a bit of a hurry to begin editing.

I have a couple of questions first:

When you play the problem AV files in a simple player, such as Windows Media Player, VLC Player, MediaPlayer Classic HC, or similar, do you hear the Audio?

When you then Import the problem AV files into PrE, do you see a progress bar indicating Conforming of the Audio? This can go by very quickly, or can take a few minutes, depending on several factors, such as how close the file's Audio is to PCM/WAV @ 48KHz and 16-bit Audio, the Duration of the Imported file and the speed of one's computer. If one Imports, and quickly drags the file to the Timeline, often Conforming does not complete 100%, and one either gets no Audio, or truncated Audio. This article goes into more detail: Conforming & Indexing of Files

The answers to the above questions will allow us to get a start on the problem, while you gather the additional requested information.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Have video but no audio
                                lowgunberry13 Level 1

A.yes    B.older Vids, audio not working wither (1year old)    C.Aduio mixer on not muted    D. TV disabled   Speaker and headphones enabled ( im guessing this is the problem since laptop is connected to tv Via HDMI)    E.Straight from CAm

• 13. Re: Have video but no audio
                                  lowgunberry13 Level 1

ok Hunt. From the source or original file I do have audio when playing through windows media player. However when I get media from Elements I do get a progress bar but no other indicator once its completed progress bar disappears.

• 14. Re: Have video but no audio
                                    lowgunberry13 Level 1

YEP I just enabled the TV speakers, I HAVE SOUND THANK YOU SO MUCH GUYS

• 15. Re: Have video but no audio
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

lowgunberry12

Thanks for the replies to questions in post 10 (a through e).

Do you have microphones/speakers in the monitor of the laptop? Where do you get your sound output?

Depending on your setup, what happens if you disconnect the HDMI TV laptop connection and run Premiere Elements 10 project on the laptop using the laptop Edit area monitor for playback of video and audio?

From what you wrote, it would appear that old and recently videos are hit with this issue. What is different in the setup from then until now. Is the HDMI TV laptop connection the same as before when the old played video and audio fine?

More later.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

• 16. Re: Have video but no audio
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

lowgunberry13

I did not see your post 14 until I posted my latest reply (numbered 15).

Great news. Great results. Great job with the troubleshooting.

I was just about to do some road testing with my laptop and my TV HDMI. Glad I saw your message first.

Please never hesitate to ask questions. And, especially, please never hesitate to ask for clarification on anything written.

Best wishes

ATR