6 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2014 5:27 PM by Drewy62

Why don't the questions as reported in forms match the order of questions on the pdf form used to collect the data?

grapplepeeps Level 1

I imported a PDF from for my survey. Then, I distributed it. People have completed it and the results have been submitted back to my FormsCentral account. The first two questions are text entry, then there are two 6 option multiple-choice questions before a 3 option multiple choice question. Why is it that in the report gives me results from four 6-option multiple choice questions before the 3-option question when there are only two? To make matters worse, the questions aren't coded with the text of the questions. They're coded cryptically, as are the responses. What the heck is going on and can I fix this?

• 1. Re: Why don't the questions as reported in forms match the order of questions on the pdf form used to collect the data?
          grapplepeeps Level 1

On the assumption that a picture communicates better, I've attached two:

1. Survey is the survey form showing the questions "in question." Here you see that #1 and #2 are text entry, #3 and #4 are 6-option scales and #5 is a 3-option scale.

2. Is a screen capture from the data from within FormsCentral, as submitted by people who took this survey. Here, you can see #1 and #2 as text entry, but then, FOUR questions before the 3-option question, which the data indicates is #7. Note, I changed the cryptic number code in the report over to sequential numbers. Still, why would there be four questions before the 3-option question when there should be only two? Survey.pngData.png

• 2. Re: Why don't the questions as reported in forms match the order of questions on the pdf form used to collect the data?
            Drewy62 Adobe Employee

The bad news is that from the users perspective the initial order in the response table is somewhat arbitrary. The good news is that you can manually reorder the columns in the response table and they will stay that way there after.

Andrew

• 3. Re: Why don't the questions as reported in forms match the order of questions on the pdf form used to collect the data?
              grapplepeeps Level 1

Well, the bad news seems certain, then, and may I just say...[never mind].

Why in the world would the response table answers be arbitrarily ordered? This wouldn't be so bad if the question headers were correct, but they aren't because they aren't given. They are translated into cryptic code. So, how is a user supposed to reorder the columns if the questions weren't brought over. Even original question numbers would have made it possible.

Seriously. How does randomizing the initial order add any value? All this seems to have done is force me to have to tell my boss "You know those survey results every other manager got? Well, because we sent the survey and wanted our group to be able to answer anonymously, you now have no way to know how you scored."

Is this really the case here? If so, here's my next question:

How do I process a full refund for Adobe Forms Central? I'm being serious.

• 4. Re: Why don't the questions as reported in forms match the order of questions on the pdf form used to collect the data?
                Drewy62 Adobe Employee

As I said the initial order seems somewhat arbitrary from the users perspective. The code that imports the PDF uses the structure of the PDF to determine field order which unfortunately in many cases doesn't match the order presented. You can contact customer support to request a refund or if you are on the monthly plan you can simply change you subscription back to the free level.

Andrew

• 5. Re: Why don't the questions as reported in forms match the order of questions on the pdf form used to collect the data?
                  grapplepeeps Level 1

Drew:

I'm having trouble deciphering what you wrote: "As I said, the initial order seems somewhat arbitrary from the user's perspective." As I work in the political arena, I'm parsing this out. It's either a brilliantly worded "you're screwed" statement, or there is some ambiguity and hope here. Let's deconstruct:

1. "initial order" Does this mean the order of my questions in the survey? There's nothing arbitrary about them. I know the order of my questions
                  2. "somewhat arbitrary" Does this mean there's actually some order to the way the results are being outputted? If so, how do I determine that order?
                  3. "from the user's perspective." Is there another perspective from which the actual (original/initial) ordering of the questions can be resurrected?

I'm not trying to badger. That's not my intent. You have a user here who is reading hope from your words, and I'm trying to distinguish between real hope and a nice way of saying "SOL."

So: 

Answer One:  There is some hope

Answer Two:  SOL

After this, I can mark the question. Thank you.

Glenn

• 6. Re: Why don't the questions as reported in forms match the order of questions on the pdf form used to collect the data?
                    Drewy62 Adobe Employee

Hey Glenn,

I am sorry you are unable to parse the meaning of my responses. Let me try one more time to address the two issues I think you are having.

First is the issue of Field/Column names in the Formscentral response table. These initial names come from the field names in the PDF. The author or application that created the PDF form sets these. In some cases when automatic field recognition is used it assigns pretty unusable names. Using an application such as Acrobat you can go into the original PDF before importing to Formscentral and edit these names and they will appear properly in the response table going forward. Alternatively and perhaps more simply you can edit the column headings in the Formscentral response table directly and they will stick.

Your second issue is that the order of the columns in the Formscentral response table doesn't match what you'd expect from the order in your PDF form. Short of recreating your form from scratch, being careful not to go back and insert any fields at a later time, the only workaround that I mentioned is to manually re-order the columns in the Formscentral response table.

Hope this helps,

Andrew