4 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2014 4:14 PM by Lucia Lao

Help with creating a way to prioritize choices

aimee17swim Level 1

Hi everyone. I am trying to create a survey in forms central and am having difficulty with one function. I would like for their to be a list and for respondents to be able to prioritize which items they would like in a future knowledge management system. For example, the question would read "please prioritize the fruit you would like for a snack" apple, banana, orange, pineapple, berries. Is there a way to do this?? I have tried to create this with a rating scale but the program would essentially allow every single option to be #1 priority. Any help is appreciated!!

• 1. Re: Help with creating a way to prioritize choices
          Lucia Lao Employee Moderator

Hi,

>> I would like for their to be a list and for respondents to be able to prioritize which items they would like in a future knowledge management system

You shoud be able to use Rating Scale

In FormsCentral you would create a form with a Rating Scale as you mentioned, for example,

Rating-Scale-Forum.png

After the user filled out (Apple = 1, ...) the form you will see the following in the View Responses:

Rating-scale-respones-forum.png

Will this work for you?

Thanks,

Lucia

• 2. Re: Help with creating a way to prioritize choices
            aimee17swim Level 1

Hi Lucia,

I appreciate your response. The Rating Scale would work if there was a way to only select each value once (i.e. I don't want the user to be able to select both apple and banana as their 1st choice). Are there any rules/logic that can be applied so that this can be prevented? Thanks again!

Aimee

• 3. Re: Help with creating a way to prioritize choices
              brian.filipiak Level 2

What if you used a series of drop-down lists or single-choice lists?

For example:

What is your preferred fruit for a snack:

Banana

Apple

Blueberries

What is your second preferred fruit for a snack:

Banana

Apple

Blueberries

It doesn't exactly meet your need, but it might help.

There *is* a way to do this, but it involves a large number of show/hide rules. For example:

What is your preferred fruit for a snack?

Banana

Apple

Blueberries

You would also build the following questions, with the rules to only show them if appropriate:

What is your next preferred fruit snack? (show if Banana was chosen for question 1)

Apple

Blueberries

What is your next preferred fruit snack? (show if Apple was chosen for question 1)

Banana

Blueberries

What is your next preferred fruit snack? (show if Blueberries was chosen for question 1)

Apple

Banana

... and so on.

Cumbersome to set up... but it works.

I hope that helps,

Brian

• 4. Re: Help with creating a way to prioritize choices
                Lucia Lao Employee Moderator

Hi,

@aimee17swim>>Are there any rules/logic that can be applied so that this can be prevented? Thanks again!

Sorry, you will not be able to apply the skip logic to the choices/questions of a Rating Scale field.

Your workaround would be to use skip logic as brian.filipiak mentioned above.

Thanks,

Lucia