7 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2014 4:46 PM by A.T. Romano

How to Capture an Entire Tape Without Pauses/Breaks

ASPproductions

Does anyone know which settings I need in order to capture a digital tape from my DV camera without Premiere stopping in between scene/timecode changes?  I believe I made the appropriate selections in the preferences section, but Premiere still stops the tape occasionally.  Am I missing something?  Thanks!

• 1. Re: How to Capture an Entire Tape Without Pauses/Breaks
          nealeh Level 5

I've always found PRE too sensitive. I do all my captures with WinDV or Exsate Capture Live. Both will capture an entire tape without pause.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 2. Re: How to Capture an Entire Tape Without Pauses/Breaks
            A.T. Romano Level 7

aspproductions

Excuse the following type of question, but I did not want to take anything for granted.

I am assuming the you are doing a DV data capture firewire into Premiere Elements Capture Window...how is that set up? With or without Split Scenes? If with Split Scenes, By Content or By Timecode?

You present with

I believe I made the appropriate selections in the preferences section, but Premiere still stops the tape occasionally.

What are you choices under Edit Menu/Preferences/Capture with regard to

Abort capture on dropped frames

Report dropped frames

Use Device Control Timecode

The "occasionally" in your problem description makes me wonder...

Are you one to get involved with gaps in Timecode from gaps, rewinding, or fast fowarding of the tape?

I am not sure how and why the word sensitivity is applied to Premiere Elements in this situation. Unless it was meant to say that Premiere Elements requires a unflawed tape for the capture.

If you have not already, please review the Adobe document on DV capture firewire into the Premiere Elements Capture Window.

http://help.adobe.com/fr_FR/premiereelements/using/WS5CDA0F91-60F1-4b79-ABF6-E9E75F498DB2. html

For troubleshooting purposes, have you looked at DV Capture firewire using a program such as Windows Movie Maker?

I would look into the preparation of the tape before considering alternative capture programs.

We will be watching for your results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: How to Capture an Entire Tape Without Pauses/Breaks
              ASPproductions Level 1

Thanks for your response!

I am transferring with a DV camcorder using firewire.  I did not select split scenes, content or timecode.  The objective is to capture the entire tape without Premiere stopping at certain points of the tape. 

This has occurred with all of my tapes.  In fact, I'm able to capture an entire tape on iMovie without any problems.  But for some reason Premiere will stop capturing when the timecode has changed or a new scene occurs, etc. even though I made sure not to select "split scenes" and "timecode", etc.

Also, when I start the capture again, Premiere has a 3 second delay which therefore fails to capture those 3 seconds of video from my tape.  I have no clue how to prevent this from happening as well.

I'm using MAC OS 10.8.5.

Wish there was a way to resolve this frustrating issue!  Seems like an easy solution but I haven't found one yet!

• 4. Re: How to Capture an Entire Tape Without Pauses/Breaks
                nealeh Level 5

Like I said, and as you are discovering, PRE is very sensitive to tape noise. As the actual DV file captured will be the same I'd be inclined to use iMovie to capture the tape (as you say that does so without glitch) and then drag the captured file to your PRE timeline (making sure you let it finish conforming before working with it).

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 5. Re: How to Capture an Entire Tape Without Pauses/Breaks
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

ASPproductions

Thanks for the follow up helpful details.

If iMovie is working flawlessly for you, then that sounds like a viable choice to obtain your DV.mov files. Or, if the problem that you encounter is occasional as you have indicated, then you have can consider the pros and cons of

a. working with what the "as is" occasional situation

b. investing more time in looking for alternative explanation for your DV data capture firewire stops in Premiere Elements capture window.

Go with whatever works for you time wise and technology wise.

Some thoughts... We know that your Premiere Elements is on a Mac computer. But, have you mentioned what version of Premiere Elements that you are using? Could you give the brand/model/ of the miniDV camcorder that you are using?

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: How to Capture an Entire Tape Without Pauses/Breaks
                    ASPproductions Level 1

I'd like to use Premiere, and even though I'm aware that I could simply resort to another editing platform I'd really like to know whether this problem has a direct solution.  If it is just a "sensitivity" issue with Premiere, then there's nothing I can do.  I'm using version 11.0. 

The model of my Sony camcorder is DCR-TRV460.

The other issue is that there is at least a 3-5 second delay when I press the capture button, so some video content is not fully captured.  Anything I can do to resolve this problem?

Thanks again.

A.

• 7. Re: How to Capture an Entire Tape Without Pauses/Breaks
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

ASPproductions

In spite of the iMovie results, I still think that the issue resides in the camcorder, tapes, and Mac. But, what do you think about the following idea...acceptable or a dud?

Now for troubleshooting purposes only, download and install the free 30 day tryout of Premiere Elements 12 Mac from Adobe. Do your DV data capture firewire from your Sony into Premiere Elements 12 Capture window. Then determine if the problems that you encountered with version 11 exist in 12.

It is the occasional nature of the issue that troubles me. If Premiere Elements is so sensitive as suggested, why are you getting the stop occasionally and not all the time. Is the occasional from within one capture session or occasional from one capture session to the next on different days?

I had asked before but I do not recall an answer...are you often winding and rewinding and fast forwarding your tapes? The WinDV and Exsate Capture Live software (Windows applications) mentioned earlier as a user preference would appear not to be applicable to you and your Mac setup. That leaves iMovie as your choice since it is on the Mac and does the job according to your specifications.

Have you looked at a different source for the tapes for new projects?

Please review and consider.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR