6 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2014 9:37 AM by NeverWasBefore

Clipping Path?

NeverWasBefore Level 1

Ive purchased a Clipping MASK and didnt realize it doesnt act the same way in InDesign as it does in Photoshop.  I really thought I could drag my photo and drop (place) it right in the Mask, but it appears that ID doesnt work that way.

So what do I need to do to make this work using ID?  Or do I need to drop the photo in while in Photoshop, adjust it, save it, then put it in ID?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Tina

• 1. Re: Clipping Path?
          NeverWasBefore Level 1

Oh and I read up on Clipping Masks (didnt understand most of it) and I read a few posts in the forums and didnt find the help I needed.

• 2. Re: Clipping Path?
            Migintosh Level 4

I'm not sure I can help, but is it a mask or a path? Was this a file or a plug-in that creates the file? Did you get it from a company, or did someone make it for you?

• 3. Re: Clipping Path?
              mmmaurice15

Don't quit know if you are talking about a program/plugin Clipping Masks?

But maybe this might help: any closed path made in a Photoshop file, can be selected in Indesign as a clipping path. You don't specifically have to make your Photoshop path a clipping path. As long as it is a CLOSED path, in Indesign you can select it (Object - Clipping path - Options - Photoshop path - and the select the desired path) as a clipping path.

Otherwise there are numerous tutorials on the web about clipping masks and clipping paths.

• 4. Re: Clipping Path?
                NeverWasBefore Level 1

I purchased it from someone and they called it a "digital photo mask".  Its at 300dpi and PNG format. She said I can use the "alt" key to drop a photo into the mask using PS or Illustrator.  You put this designed photo mask on your work and then drop a photo into it (it puts your photo inside this mask and hides a portion of the outer edges of the photo).  Does this make since now?

Ive looked this up on this site and keep finding clipping path instructions, rather than mask...so Im guessing ID doesnt use Masks and I cant drop photos into such mask while in ID.

• 5. Re: Clipping Path?
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Sounds like some sort of plugin for Photoshop that creates a layer mask and adds a frame around the image, or makes a rough edge. You would need to do this in Photoshop first, then save the image and place that.

• 6. Re: Clipping Path?
                    NeverWasBefore Level 1

That's what I was thinking Peter, so I will try that. Im pretty sure it will work, but I was hoping that ID had a way to do it w/out taking those extra steps.

Thank you!

Tina