7 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2014 12:23 PM by Amy Blankenship

How do I resize every image in a frame to a certain size?

sinsenest Level 1

I have about 20 frames in a single layer (and a single, long frame in another layer -- this functions as the background layer). Each frame contains a different image. But each image is set to the document size of 700 px by 400 px. I would like to change all of the image sizes to 1920 px by 1080 px.

Is there a quicker way to do that besides having to click on the images in each frame, going to the properties panel, and manually changing the width and the height from there? Thanks to anyone who would be of help.

• 1. Re: How do I resize every image in a frame to a certain size?
          sinsenest Level 1

Edit: I guess I meant to change to the title to "How do I resize images in different frames to a certain size?" Doesn't really effect the question, but it's what I meant to ask. Sorry.

• 2. Re: How do I resize every image in a frame to a certain size?
            sinious Most Valuable Participant

There is a scripting language (JSFL) that can control Flash IDE interface to automate common tasks, but this isn't one. If it's just 20 images it's not nearly worth the time or complexity to use JSFL for it. You're better off just doing it by hand.

Please note that if you're not increasing the size of vectors, a huge upscale (700x400 -> 1920x1080) is going to result in quite a bit of blur. If you have the original source to these images and it's any larger than 700x400 I would urge you to go back and re-export these images with an application like Photoshop rather than stretching them in Flash. You'll gain the performance from importing and presenting the bitmaps at 100% size rather than performing a stretch (unless you enable cacheAsBitmap) and you'll have the chance in Photoshop to increase their size in a more sophisticated way (16bit color, sharp edge resize, sharpen filtration, etc).

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How do I resize every image in a frame to a certain size?
              sinsenest Level 1

Hi sinious, thanks for replying.

You're right. It might be better to re-export/import, but it can get a bit tedious. Before I imported the images into Flash, I had them all in separate layers in Illustrator. So I had to export each layer as its own file, and that just sort of took some time.

I've never used Flash, I just thought it'd be a bit like Illustrator, where you can click a series of buttons and it'll do a simple task like resizing all the images in every frame. But I guess it's more complicated than it seems.

• 4. Re: How do I resize every image in a frame to a certain size?
                sinious Most Valuable Participant

If you physically make them larger and have them in the same physical path location from where you imported, you can literally select them all in your library, right-click in them while selected and hit Update. Flash will reload all of those images from the same path it originally loaded them from. Then all you would need to do is re-export resized 1920x1080 images from Illustrator to the same path, then update in Flash, and you're done.

• 5. Re: How do I resize every image in a frame to a certain size?
                  sinsenest Level 1

Hm, I'll try that method out sometime when I'm in need of it then. In the meantime I'm drawing on Flash instead of Illustrator. Otherwise, thanks for the advice!

• 6. Re: How do I resize every image in a frame to a certain size?
                    Mohanaraj Adobe Employee

Hi,

You can use Edit Multiple Frames option in Timeline panel to view/edit contents across a range of frames.

1. Enable Edit Multiple Frames

2. Set the range markers to include the desired set of frames

3. Select all

4. Resize the image

Thanks!

Mohan

• 7. Re: How do I resize every image in a frame to a certain size?
                      Amy Blankenship Level 4

Note that a quick way to get to the end result is to click the square with a dot in it next to the "edit multiple frames" button and select "Marker range all." If all your images are on the same layer (and there is nothing else on the layer) then click the layer to select everything in it.