3 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2014 10:05 PM by gkd50

No disk error in Premiere Elements 12 - Smartsound plug-in?

gkd50

I have a fresh install of Premiere Elements 12 (with 12.1 update) on a new computer and receive the error "There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive E:" whenever the program is opened or closed. I can bypass this message by repeatedly clicking "cancel". Windows application logs in event viewer lists a corresponding error message "Activation context generation failed for C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 12\Plug-ins\Common\SmartSoundAdobePlugin64.prm". I confirmed that this file does not exist.

A forum search indicates that installing Smartsound resolves this no-disk error for PrE 11 and earlier but that Smartsound is no longer a feature in PrE 12:

Re: No Disk Error for Adobe Premiere Elements 12

But another other user reported that the no-disk problem went away in PrE 12 after installing Smartsound:

Re: "No Disk" Error (premiere elements 12)

And my event viewer error message indicates that PrE 12 is looking for a Smartsound plug-in which was not included in the installation. (PrE 12 was installed via Dell Digital Delivery and did not include an installation disk.)

So why is PrE 12 looking for a Smartsound plug-in if it is no longer a feature? Any suggestions for suppressing the no-disk error other than installing Smartsound?  I'm just getting started in PrE and don't need it right now.

Thanks,

Greg

• 1. Re: No disk error in Premiere Elements 12 - Smartsound plug-in?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

gkd50

Very interesting developments.

You wrote

Windows application logs in event viewer lists a corresponding error message "Activation context generation failed for C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 12\Plug-ins\Common\SmartSoundAdobePlugin64.prm". I confirmed that this file does not exist

On the contrary, I do find that a "SmartSoundAdobePlugin64.prm" does exist in the Premiere Elements 12 files in Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 8.1 64 bit. It is found in the path:

Local Disk C

Program Files

Adobe

Adobe Premiere Elements 12

Plug-ins

Common

and in the Common Folder is this "SmartSoundAdobePlugin64.prm".

I see this same file in versions 10, 11, and 12, but not in versions earlier than 10.

I would suggest

a. Deactivate your Premiere Elements 12 via its Help Menu/Sign Out

b. Uninstall via the usual Control Panel Route

c. ccleaner run through (regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts) - to get rid of leftovers from incomplete installs and/or uninstalls

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

d. reinstall with antivirus and firewalls turned Off.

If that does not work, then it looks like Hans' suggestion might be the next to explore.

Curious turn of events.

We will be watching for your results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: No disk error in Premiere Elements 12 - Smartsound plug-in?
            gkd50 Level 1

Thank you for the advice. I tried Han's suggestion of installing Smartsound SonicFire first since it was much quicker than completely reinstalling PrE (which entails many hours of re-downloading on a DSL line for the program & cloud content).

After installing Smartsound, the "SmartSoundAdobePlugin64.prm" file did appear in the C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 12\Plug-ins\Common\ folder. However, it did not resolve the "No Disk" error or the application error logged in Event Viewer. The source of that error is listed as "SideBySide" and Event ID is 33. The full text of the message is as follows:

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 12\Plug-ins\Common\SmartSoundAdobePlugin64.prm". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC90.MFC,processorArchitecture="amd64",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type=" win32",version="9.0.21022.8" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

I did a bit of research and this answer suggests that the error is the result of an incompatibility between the installed version of Microsoft Visual C++ and the version used by the program:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/event-id-33-so urce-side-by-side/ef67e34f-07b2-4d52-a807-f9f81a7c32f8?auth=1

Based on this Microsoft article, it appears that the missing C++ 2008 version 9.0.201022.8 is an IA-64 version while the 9.0.30729.x versions on my machine are x64 versions:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973552

This is all way over my head and I may leave well enough alone until I have more time to spare, given that the "no disk" error (which could even be entirely unrelated) is annoying but not crippling.

FWIW, the machine is a Dell XPS8700, Windows 8.1, 64-bit, and PrE was sold by Dell it, bundled with Photoshop Elements.

Greg

• 3. Re: No disk error in Premiere Elements 12 - Smartsound plug-in?
              gkd50 Level 1

Sometimes it's too easy to overlook the obvious. After sending the above reply I realized that there was in fact no firm evidence that the two errors were related. The original error asked me to insert a disk in Drive E, which is a Compact Flash card reader. So I dug up a 16MB CF card from a 10 year old camera and stuck in in the card reader, and the "no disk" error was cured! Remove the CF card and the error returns. Nothing was written to the CF card and I have no idea why PrE cares if it is there, but apparently it does. The only pertinent settings I could find were for scratch disks, and none of them are set to E:. Strange...

The Smartsound error persists, but I care less about it now!

Greg