18 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2014 4:54 PM by A.T. Romano

Add marker control in Movie Menu

AZ Aurora Level 1

I have changed from using PE 8 to PE 12 and am finding and reading that this is a "light year's" jump. I am finding some things easy to use and others not so  much. I am not totally new to DVD projects as I have had several other successful projects with PE 8. I updated as I was having crash issues and using PE 12 has seemed to eliminate all of those issues. Now it is just a learning curve to find out where Adobe has moved things, deleted them, or added new features. Which brings me to the added new features.

Before in PE 8 I had become acquainted with finalizing a project and adding a movie menu, with scene selections and music. Now with PE 12 it seems like there is a "new and improved" version but don't quote me on that! I have set my timeline markers but when selecting my movie menu the scene selections that show are not at all what my timeline markers are. I did see the option to uncheck Adobe's selection but that did not seem to work. In fact I cannot even get rid of the scene selection that did  get selected. It also stated that I could set my own scenes with "add marker control" but after looking on my own, reading some of the forums and tips online cannot seem to locate where it is at, so that said

1. How do I delete the scenes that Adobe selected for me?
      2. Where do I go for the "marker control"?
      3. Where can I add music to my Movie Menu?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

• 1. Re: Add marker control in Movie Menu
          A.T. Romano Level 7

AZ Aurora

If you are placing Timeline markers in the Edit area (before Tools Menu/Movie Menu), then the program should not be intervening to place markers for you. Timeline marker which is placed at the position of the Timeline Indicator can be one of 3 types: main menu, scene menu, stop marker. Just like version 8. See Menu Marker dialog in first screenshot.

TimelineMarkers.JPG

So, let me know what is happening here since there should be no Adobe automatic placement of menu markers going on if you have placed Timeline markers before the Movie Menu customization area.

Not sure what you mean by Marker Control. Do you mean that Menu Marker dialog shown in the first screenshot or something else.

In what follows, I had more than one clip on the Timeline, but placed only one scene marker for this demo.

In this next screenshot, we are in the Movie Menu customization area. We got here via Tools Menu/Movie Menu/picked a menu theme/hit Continue.

MovieMenuCustom.JPG

In this screenshot, I clicked on the scene menu page in the bin below the Movie Menu monitor in order to bring up the scene menu in the Movie Menu monitor. Then I double clicked the thumbnail in the monitor to open the Menu Marker dialog. In this dialog, I could rename the scene or even delete. At this point, more menu markers can be added via the "Markers" area above the Timeline left.

If you want to add music to the main menu and/or the scene menu, look to the customization area to the right of the Movie Menu workspace. Under Adjustments/Audio, browse to and select your music. But, remember, audio has a 30 second max here.

Adjustments.JPG

Please check out the above and then let me know if I have targeted your questions. If not, please give more details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Add marker control in Movie Menu
            A.T. Romano Level 7

AZ Aurora

The screenshots look a bit blurred in the above post. They are very clear when you click on them to open them to look at them.

ATR

• 3. Re: Add marker control in Movie Menu
              AZ Aurora Level 1

A.T.

Once again thank you for responding, While I was waiting for a reply I kept looking and did find another tutorial page online from Adobe and printed that out. So along with that and your online instructions I now have my scene markers in place. Part of my problem was I was confusing the timeline markers with scene marker.

Here are my questions at present:

1. How do I change the font color on my movie and scene menus?
              2. How do I change the size of the font on my scene menu? (I was able to size the main menu just by dragging the white parameter markers)
              3. Did they do away with the "favorites" in the transition menu? I am really missing not having that as I use transitions between my video clips otherwise my clips seem to have a slight "jump" on play back, is there any other way to get rid of that slight movement without a transition? I have also been using some Pan and Zoom that I really like.
              • 4. Re: Add marker control in Movie Menu
                A.T. Romano Level 7

AZ Aurora

Sounds like great progress.

When you get to the Movie Menu customization area, you will see to the right the area "Adjustments" for Menu Background customization.

openingmenus.JPG

In the screenshot above, I have the scene menu displaying in the Movie Menu monitor. All I get to the right is the Adjustments/Menu Background. But, if I click on one of the buttons in the menu (in this example scene menu), the area to the right now displays a Text editing area.

textformenu.JPG

In this second screenshot, I have selected the button for Scene 2. In the Text section, I can change Font Style, Size, Color, etc.

In your searches did you come across the following Adobe document for creating disc menus? It applies to versions 12 as well as 11.

Adobe Premiere Elements 11 * Creating disc menus

ATR

• 5. Re: Add marker control in Movie Menu
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

AZ Aurora

About the transitions...the favorites for transitions disappeared a few versions ago.

You can still apply video and audio transitions. One at a time or more than one at a time.

You could experiment with Fade out at the end of the first clip and Fade In at the beginning of the next clip.

(You can still find Fades by right clicking the Timeline file to get to the Fade options. Also, see Applied Effects/Applied Effects Palette/Opacity Panel expanded.

Remember in 12, if you want to get to volume...Adjust Tab/Adjustments Palette/Volume Panel expanded. And, there is always volume adjust at the audio clip rubberband level. Do not forget about the Audio Mixer. See Tools Menu/Audio Mixer.

ATR

• 6. Re: Add marker control in Movie Menu
                    AZ Aurora Level 1

Okay I followed your directions and have the font color changed. I was able to move the scene selection font by right clicking, than going to edit and moving the cursor on the text. It was labor intensive as the text would not move on the scene selection till I said "ok" than had to keep doing it to get the text into position.

I also was able to set a default transition but wondering can you select the time for the transition as I do not want the 3 sec that is automatically selected?

Thanks

• 7. Re: Add marker control in Movie Menu
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

AZ Aurora

Once you get a transition to the Timeline, you can drag the edges of the transition to change it duration on a one by one basis.

For the same transition applied to more than one transition at a time, then Edit Menu/Preferences/General and the settings there for Video Transition Default Duration and Audio Transition Default Duration. These settings are done before you apply the default transition to all the selected clips, using Timeline Menu/Apply Default Transition.

The details in the following on setting minimum transition duration may be of interest.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: Minimum Duration For Transition

With regard to the disc menu customization, just be on guard

a. No button overlaps

b. At the Timeline level, enough spacing between menu markers

c. Definitely no Stop Marker at the end of the last item on the Timeline

ATR

• 8. Re: Add marker control in Movie Menu
                        AZ Aurora Level 1

Okay, once again thanks for the tips, was able to reset my transition duration.

1. Is there anyway that I can "move" the location of the transition popup selection? I am finding that when it pops up at the bottom of the timeline it is in the way of the timeline and where I want to position my transitions. It is a real nuisance in the location that it is, I liked it much better when it drop from above as in PE 8.
                        2. Also where can I mark the discussion as "answered"?
                        3. Does Adobe take "suggestions" and or feedback anywhere? I am not sure why they change something that works, the old adage, if it isn't broken don't fix it. Other than of course for them to sell more programs when they keep changing and updating.

Thanks for your help

• 9. Re: Add marker control in Movie Menu
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

AZ Aurora

I have not found a way to move the Transition Adjustments pop up, but I have a maneuver for that

1. Click on the Transitions Tab to open the display of transition choices.

2. With the mouse cursor, click on the wanted transition Do Not Release the Mouse Click.

3. Still with the Mouse Click maintained, drag from the transition to outside the area of the Transition Adjustments pop up.

4. The Transition Adjustments pop up will close. And, as long as you do not release the Mouse Click, the transition will not be placed.

5. Under this condition, drag the transition to wherever you want it and then release the Mouse Click.

When dealing with Audio Transition, another matter is involved, that is, whether to hit "Done" or the X closure button.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Audio Transitions Problem

I am not sure where the originator of the thread marks the thread answered/correct. I look into that.

As for feedback to Adobe

a. If it involves the operation of the Adobe Forums, then I have found the Adobe Comments Forum to be helpful

https://forums.adobe.com/community/general/forum_comments

b. If it involves the workings of the Adobe product, then the following may or may not help

The Adobe Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

More later.

ATR

• 10. Re: Add marker control in Movie Menu
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

AZ Aurora

About "correct answer" marking of thread. Here is the best that I can make of the situation. I suspect it is right, but let us see.

When you are the originator of a thread, only you will see

CorrectAnswer.JPG

at the bottom left of each of the replies. If you feel that a particular reply is the correct answer to your thread question, then you click on the "Correct Answer" logo for that particular reply. If you change your mind then or later on, then I believe you can click on where you designed Correct Answer and leave the thread marked unanswered or you can designate a new correct answer.

ATR

• 11. Re: Add marker control in Movie Menu
                              AZ Aurora Level 1

Okay as usual you are very helpful and it is greatly appreciated.

• 12. Re: Add marker control in Movie Menu
                                AZ Aurora Level 1

A.T.,

Okay I am in the final stages, all of my video, audio files and transitions are in place. I have done a render of the project and I have selected my movie menu. As you instructed was able to change the font color for my movie and scene font. I am now importing the music and can get it to start at the point that I want to but now have some additional questions.

1. How do I get the length of the music to change?, I tried to go into duration, can highlight it but when I enter a new number it keeps reverting back to 00,00,:13,:12
                                2. Than how do I get it to "loop" and play the same clip over and over?
                                3. Also what does "apply default transition before loop do? I did both a uncheck and check of it and couldn't see what difference it made
                                • 13. Re: Add marker control in Movie Menu
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

AZ Aurora

If your audio insert into the menu is over 30 seconds, then you will get only 30 seconds of it. In this case, you can say what 30 second portion of that audio insert is heard. You do that

In the Audio area, browse to your audio to be inserted, select it. Then look to the Audio area where it says "In Point:...." At the end of that line is a green triangle. Click on that (the green triangle becomes two orange vertical lines). You get automatic playback at this point with which to work. When you hear the spot where you want the audio to begin to be heard in the menu, click on the two orange vertical lines. The original green triangle will reappear as the orange vertical lines disappear. When the menu music plays it will start at that spot, play to 30 seconds, and then loops automatically back to the spot that you designated as the start.

If your audio insert into the menu is under 30 seconds, it will play for its duration and loop back automatically to the start.

In my way of thinking, the only way to get around that is to change the duration of the file on the hard drive before doing the audio insert in the Movie Menu section.

That 30 seconds with looping is automatic. No adjustments available there.

I would think that the default transition before the loop might make for a smoother sound and video as loop begins. But, this may be one of those things where you go with what works for you in your specific situation.

Please let me know if I have targeted your questions. If not, please do not hesitate to let me know where you need supplemental information.

Thanks.

Progress there sounds great. Good job.

ATR

• 14. Re: Add marker control in Movie Menu
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

AZ Aurora

I do not know if you need it, but I forgot to put the screenshot in the latest post.

inpoint.jpg

ATR

• 15. Re: Add marker control in Movie Menu
                                      AZ Aurora Level 1

Okay everything is looking  good, I am ready to burn in the past I have burned at NTSC-DOLBY DVD, but when I put my disc in it selects NTSC-WIDESCREEN-DVD. Which is better to use?

These are my settings NTSC-AVCHD-FULL HD 1080i 30

My images are mainly 1050 x 750 and a few at 2100x1500 for pan and zoom

• 16. Re: Add marker control in Movie Menu
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

AZ Aurora

If you have set up for NTSC-AVCHD Full HD1080i30, then you should be heading for

Publish+Share

Disc

DVD disc

with preset = NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD.

But, just make sure that you are not seeing black borders when you are in the Edit area monitor. Your Edit area monitor is set by the project preset to represent 1920 x 1080 16:9. Those sizes of 1050 x 750 pixels and 2100 x 1500 pixels look more like 4:3. If you have black borders and do not want them, then click each image and use the handles on the image's bounding box to scale the image.

Premiere Elements 11 and 12 use default 16:9 project preset setting; whereas, version 8, used 4:3 NTSC DV Standard or its PAL counterpart. If you want to 4:3 project in 11 and 12, you can manually set up the project preset to NTSC DV Standard before you bring the media into the project. More on this later if you want.

Just watch out for unwanted black borders in the burn to disc.

Looking forward to your results.

Thanks for the updates.

ATR

• 17. Re: Add marker control in Movie Menu
                                          AZ Aurora Level 1

First Successful Project with PE 12!       After my learning curve going from PE 8 to PE 12 I have burned to disc my project. Thank you for all of your tips and help. Also if you communicate with Steve G. at all thank him for assisting me along the way. It is always a challenge to learn where tabs get moved in the process of the update of a program, that is allot of the challenge. Along with learning this new program I started a project that had a few "test" files and was much shorter than my finished product. That way I tried different settings and even burned it in different formats. I tried the wide screen and the standard and could not see any noticeable difference on playback. That said I have some project setup questions for you.

1. Should capture format be left in HDV?
                                          2. Under video rendering should I be checking "maximum bit depth"?
                                          3. Under project settings, should I check "force selected project settings"?
                                          4. What file size is best to import? I did some pan and zoom and Steve suggested a file size of 2100 x 1500, my images had been imported at 750 x 1000 When I did the larger file size I was able to pan and zoom more of the photo, otherwise it would crop it too much. I did get rid of some of the black borders like you suggested above, but left some of the files as I would lose part of the photo image that I wanted.
                                          5. So where do I find if I have an image that is 4:3 or 16:9? I have tried to read on Adobe help to find those answers but am not finding it, if I understand it correctly 16 x 9 is widescreen. Also if I burn a widescreen project and than someone wants to view it on an older TV, might it cut some of the photo?
                                          6. Are there any other project settings that I should be aware of?

Allot of questions here but I am trying to prevent problems or make improvements in future projects. Thanks

• 18. Re: Add marker control in Movie Menu
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

AZ Aurora

Congratulations of your success. Great job. We applaud your success, just the first of many more to come.

Now for the questions.

1. If you are recording HDV data with the miniDV HD camcorder, then, before Add Media/HDV Camcorder, set the project preset for NTSC HDV HDV 1080i30. And, if you are recording DV data with the miniDV HD camcorder, then, then before Add Media/DV Camcorder, set the project preset for either NTSC DV Standard or NTSC DV Widescreen depending on how you set the camcorder.

Some miniDV HD camcorders allow you to downsize the HDV data to DV data in the camcorder. I would stay with the HDV data capture if that is what you recorded.

2. For  the Project Settings/Video Rendering, I have been leaving the defaults. A description and suggested use are described in the following Adobe document

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS04855172-E9FD-41b3-9145-FD434A543442. html

3. I cannot always depend on the project to do that automatic set of the project preset based on the properties of what is first dragged to the Timeline. So, typically I do the manual setting of the project preset as described toward the end of the following.

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-accuracy-of-automatic-project.html

When you do the manual set, a check mark needs to be placed next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project" in the new project dialog.

4. Here is my take on the following which I do not necessarily go along with as a workflow without explanation. It is important to remember that those who are generalizing with that 2100 x 1500 (4:3), neglect to point out that works nicely when you have disabled the Edit Menu/Preferences/General's Default Scale to Frame Size. Give it a try to see what I mean...your pans and zooms with the Pan and Zoom Tool with and without the Default Scale to Frame Size disabled. I find this choice particularly confusing when dealing with 16:9 as NTSC DV Widescreen vs NTSC HDV HDV 1080i30.

5. When you have your video imported, you can right click its thumbnail in Expert workspace Project Assets and select Properties. Look at the Pixel Aspect Ratio. If you have NTSC DV AVI 4:3, then the Pixel Aspect Ratio will be 0.9091. If you have NTSC DV AVI 16:9, then the Pixel Aspect Ratio will be 1.2121. You would have to check out the TV setup. Many of the older TV DVD player setups do come with adjustment for 4:3 or 16:9.

Please review and consider. Go with what works for you.

Thanks.

ATR