5 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2014 12:46 PM by jcanepa

What limitations are you finding in FormsCentral? What are the solutions?

DocDiva

1. There's no way to reduce the height of the fields.

2. There's limited formatting options. This form has more formatting options
      than FormsCentral. No Styles, Bullets, numbering, etc.

3. When in Design mode, there is no way to increase the view. If you are
      using a small font to increase the content per page, you cannot read what you
      are typing.

4. There's no “What You See Is What You Get” (WYSIWYG). The formatting in
      FormsCentral changes when you save it to PDF. The pagination is different.
      Three columns become 2 columns.

5. Is there a more robust version of FormsCentral with a higher upgrade?

• 1. Re: What limitations are you finding in FormsCentral? What are the solutions?
          jcanepa Adobe Employee

1) As you mention in 3, you can change the field height by changing the font size.  Field height is directly tied to font size.  If you are looking for finer field size control you might want to look at Adobe Acrobat Pro XI or Adobe Designer.

2) This is correct. If greater formatting is required Adobe offers other forms solutions (Adobe Designer and Adobe Acrobat Pro). 

3) I implore you to add this issue to out "Feature Request" form at https://adobeformscentral.com/?f=XnF-KJVCovcEVQz9tZHYPQ

4) FormsCentral has 2 views that a page can be presented as.  The default is Web View which gives a representation of how the page will appear as a HTML file.  The other view is Page View.  Page View will present the form as it will appear on a printed page (or as a pdf file).  There are differences.  For instance, in web view a page can go on and on and on.  In Page view the same form will have page breaks inserted so that the contents will fit on a printed page (conforming to the page layout settings).  To make a pdf form layout the way you like it is recommended that you design the form while in Page View.

5) The difference between the Free FormsCentral and Paid FormsCentral is in the number of forms you are allowed to create (and keep active) and the number of responses supported.

I hope this information is helpful.

-Jeff Canepa

• 2. Re: What limitations are you finding in FormsCentral? What are the solutions?
            DocDiva Level 1

Jeff,

Thank you for your reply. Here's more issues.

1) Field height: You can reduce the font, but that does not change the

height of the input box or the size of the button. So there is a lot of

white space left surrounding each field. You have a huge button and smaller

text. There’s no way to

2) I have Adobe Acrobat Pro XI. When I save the FormCentral document as a

PDF and I save it as instructed to edit, I get a message that I can’t edit

the PDF as a form document. That doesn’t help. I would have to completely

recreate the form in Acrobat Pro. What’s the point of creating the form in

FormsCentral?

3) I will make that request.

4)         a) I am working in page view. In the free version of

FormsCentral, you don’t get the view option in the menu. It only appears in

the paid version.

b) That is not what I am seeing in the page view. The form is 12 pages in

FormsCentral, then it reformats and jumps to 16 pages in the PDF.

5) I am using FormsCentral to create forms that will not be a part of a

distributed survey. It is for customer to complete an electronic document.

6) I can’t find my post in the Forms/Central forum.

DocDiva (Joan Nelson)

• 3. Re: What limitations are you finding in FormsCentral? What are the solutions?
              DocDiva Level 1

Do you receive emails at this address? Or is this a black hole.

• 4. Re: What limitations are you finding in FormsCentral? What are the solutions?
                DocDiva Level 1

The system won't let me post anything else. Was I a bad DocDiva?

Joan

• 5. Re: What limitations are you finding in FormsCentral? What are the solutions?
                  jcanepa Adobe Employee

DocDiva,

1 & 2) My reply for both 1 & 2 are related.  You are correct that you are limited in FormsCentral in controlling field size/hight.  However, you can control these properties in Adobe Acrobat Pro.  To do this do the following:

• Save form as PDF from FormsCentral
                  • Open the form in Adobe Acrobat Pro
                  • Use Save a Copy... and create a copy of the form that is editable
                  • Open the new copy, click on Tools-> Forms-> Edit.  You should be able to resize fields to your liking.  Note that in PDF the label and the input field are no longer "connected" so I would suggest making the size of your labels the priority in FormsCentral.
                  • When finished, save the pdf and then import that form back into FormsCentral.

4) a)  In the version of FormsCentral that you are using (the one that comes with Adobe Acrobat Pro XI) it is assumed that all forms created offline (without logging into FormsCentral) are going to end up as pdf forms, so the default view is Page View.  If you upload your form into FormsCentral (using a Free account or a Paid account) you will now be presented with the view picker/menu

b) 12 pages becoming 16 sounds like a problem.  Without seeing your form and how it is designed I have no idea what the issue is.  Could you email me 1) the pdf form and 2) the fcdt file*? (jcanepa@adobe.com)

5) OK

6) ?

*fcdt file is the FormsCentral file format.  In FormsCentral open the form and select File-> Export Design File...