8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2014 12:50 PM by A.T. Romano

Poor Video Quality

trilliumdance

When I import my videos to Adobe Premiere Elements, the playback quality suffers immensely. I figure it's an issue with the project settings but not sure how to go about fixing the problem. HELP PLEASE

• 1. Re: Poor Video Quality
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Elements Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 has links about setting up a new project to match your video

Exactly what is INSIDE the video you are editing?

Codec & Format information, with 2 links inside for you to read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30 for screen shot instructions

Free programs to get file information for PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

• 2. Re: Poor Video Quality
            A.T. Romano Level 7

trilliumdance

The answers that you seek with come from the details of your situation, starting with the version of Premiere Elements that you are working with and the name of the operating system on which it is operating.

You need to determine if you or the program is setting a project preset that matches the properties of your source media. If the program is taking on this task, you can check what it has set by looking at

Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Rate, Pixel Aspect Ratio". If you do not understand what you read there, we will help you interpret that information. If the program is not setting the project preset correctly, then you set the project preset manually. If you have Premiere Elements 11 or 12, details of the manual set of the project preset are described in the following

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Accuracy of Automatic Project Preset (New Project Dialog) Setting

You can go to properties readout programs, such as MediaInfo and GSpot, to get video properties information. Often we can take the shortcut and gather the needed information if you tell us the brand/model/settings of the camera that recorded the video.

When you talk about poor playback are you referring to before export or before and after export? When you are playing back your Timeline content in the Edit area monitor, does it have over it

no colored line

an orange line

a green line?

Please review and consider. We will be watching for your follow up.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Poor Video Quality
              trilliumdance Level 1

I had originally tried fixing the project settings myself, because my two video sources were different shapes and sizes and were appearing as such on the final video (weird for DVDs) I thought I could import them under forced settings to be the same size, but admittedly probably did it incorrectly- On a separate note, if you could tell me if there is a way to remedy this I would greatly appreciate it.

This is when the problem first started, but I have tried since then importing without messing with the project settings in a new project and had the same problem - Video looks crisp as could be in Quicktime and as soon as I get it in Adobe it looks horrible.

I am running Adobe Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 2007 - The footage (2 separate videos) was shot with a Canon 5D and a Canon Rebel T3

• 4. Re: Poor Video Quality
                A.T. Romano Level 7

trilliumdance

I doing a lot of assumptions  based on what you wrote in post 3, but this very well may work for you. Assuming a NTSC, rather than PAL, setup...

The Canon 5D is probably recording 1920 x 1080 at 30 progressive frames per second (H.264.mov)

The Canon Rebel T3, probably recording 1280 x 720 @ 30 progressive frames per second (H.264.mov)

Open Premiere Elements 11 (on Windows 7 64 bit) to the Expert workspace. Go to File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings.

In Change Settings, select the project preset

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@29.97

Before you close out of that area (new project dialog), make sure that you have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project".

Then back in the Premiere Elements 11 Expert workspace, import your 1920 x 1080 at 30 progressive frames per second, and then your 1280 x 720 @ 30 progressive frames per second (via Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets).

There should not be any black borders viewed in the Edit area monitor when you view  the Timeline content. Render the Timeline content. The 1920 x 1080 should not need it, but the 1280 x 720 should for the best preview.

When ready for burn to DVD disc, then

Publish+Share

Disc

DVD

disc

with preset NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD.

Please let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Poor Video Quality
                  trilliumdance Level 1

Ok I tried that, and the Canon 5D looks fine at first... It seems like when I resize the frame (to be bigger) is when the quality gets worse.

• 6. Re: Poor Video Quality
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

trilliumdance

Thanks for the reply.

After you have manually set your project preset....

Are you working with Edit Menu/Preferences/General with a check mark next to the option "Defaulft Scale to Frame Size" before you import your media into the Expert workspace Timeline? If not, please do so. But that has to be done before you import source media.

I am trying to get at why you are into "resize the frame (to be bigger)". Are you doing panning and zooming in that instance?

Quality loss in the way of pixelation and such can be a consequence of scaling up. But I do not see that as an issue with the workflow that we have been discussing.

Please review and then let us make sure that we are in sync on the details.

Your follow up was appreciated.

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: Poor Video Quality
                      trilliumdance Level 1

Yes,

I did that, but the one video size is still smaller than the workspace so I have to use the corner edges to enlarge it to fit to the space and when I do it just doesn't look as good as the original even after rendering.

• 8. Re: Poor Video Quality
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

trilliumdance

Thanks for the reply.

I suspect that we are missing something in the communications.

If you have the project preset set manually at

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@29.97

and

Edit Menu/Preferences/General with a check mark next to "Default Scale to Frame Size" before you import your 1920 x 1080 and 1280 x 720 into the project workspace Timeline, then.....

When you import and drag a 1920 x 1080 or 1280 x 720 to the Expert workspace Timeline, what you see in the Edit area monitor should be a perfect fit in the 1920 x 1080 space in the monitor.....the 1920 x 1080 because that is the Frame Size of the project preset and the 1280 x 720 because the program has scaled the 1280 x 720 into the 1920 x 1080 according to the preference directive "Default Scale to Frame Size". What enhances this whole situation is that 1920 x 1080 and 1280 x 720 are 16:9.

Please review and let us see where we are not together on the what is with what is expected.

Thanks.

ATR