5 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2014 10:08 AM by ChasLaird

Can’t Get ACR Updates for PS CS6

ChasLaird Level 1

My computer is a PC with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit with 8GB of memory.  My problem is I don't seem to be able to get any of the Adobe Camera Raw updates for Photoshop CS6 (perpetual license).  It's stuck at ACR 8.1.  I also can't get the last update to the PS CS6 application (13.0.1.3).  As you can see from the screen capture of Adobe Creative Cloud desktop application, it says I have Photoshop CC and Photoshop CS6 and says all applications are up to date.  This is not the case as I have stated above.  ACR should be at 8.4 and it's at 8.1.

1_Creative Cloud.jpg

If I open PS CS6 and go to Help > Updates... I get the message that all applications are up to date.

2_Updates.jpg

If I click on Preferences, it says "Only show updates for the following products" and there are no options to show updates for any CS6 products.  Again, this display came from the Help menu in PS CS6.  Why doesn't it show an option to check for updates to CS6?  My PS CS6 application was a perpetual license purchase and wasn't converted to a Creative Cloud application.

3_AAM Preferences.jpg

I have been following several threads at this forum and the Photoshop forum that discuss problems similar to mine but have not found a solution.  I followed a link in one of the responses to a download for ACR 8.4 for PS CS6 on Windows and thought I could do a manual installation.  Instead, I got the following message that the update failed because "This patch is not applicable to you."  I got the same message when I tried to manually install the Photoshop CS6 update to 13.0.1.3.

4_Update Failed.jpg

I would like to keep my PS CS6 (perpetual license) up to date, but I don't know what to do now and am hopeful someone in this community can help me with this issue.

Thanks,

Chas

• 1. Re: Can’t Get ACR Updates for PS CS6
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have PS-CS6 and PS-CC installed on my Windows 7 64-bit computer, and what I see different between your screenshots and mine is that in my AAM Preferences I have entries for PS-CS6 and CR 7 (the CR that is for PS-CS6) whereas you only show CC things.

I have no idea why that would be, though.  Did you install PS-CS6 after PS-CC?   A suggestion would be to uninstall PS-CS6, entirely, and then re-install it, which would be ACR 7 back on, then see if you can update it.

The next thing might be to uninstall all your Adobe apps, then run CC Cleaner, then reinstall PS-CS6 and update it, then PS-CC and update it.

• 2. Re: Can’t Get ACR Updates for PS CS6
            Michelle Qi Adobe Employee

Hi,

It sounds like you are able to update your PSCC to the latest ACR 8.4 plugin? While I don’t know how to resolve all CS6 updates, but for the ACR plugin, the same ACR 8.4 works for both CC and CS6. So you could copy the 8.4 from CC folder to CS6 folder:

-        CC Camera Raw Plugin folder: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CC\File Formats\

-        Copy the “Camera Raw.8bi” from the above folder to

-        CS6 Camera Raw folder: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS6\File Formats\

-Michelle

• 3. Re: Can’t Get ACR Updates for PS CS6
              ChasLaird Level 1

I guess this technique of copying the ACR 8.4 plug-in from the PS CC folder to the PS CS6 folder would give PS CS6 any changes to ACR and bug fixes in the newest version of ACR, but I don't think this would install the support for new cameras added in ACR 8.4 over my existing ACR 8.1 for PS CS6.  Could you please confirm this or not?

Chuck

• 4. Re: Can’t Get ACR Updates for PS CS6
                ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

New camera support is contained either in the plug-in, itself, which you can copy over, or in a folder under c:\programdata\adobe\cameraraw which is shared between various Adobe products not including Lightroom, but including PS-CC and PS-CS6 so you should be ok just copying the plug-in over if your PS-CC is up-to-date.

Installing the DNG Converter 8.4 would also update things under c:\programdata\adobe\cameraraw

• 5. Re: Can’t Get ACR Updates for PS CS6
                  ChasLaird Level 1

Thank you very much, ssprengel, for this very helpful information.  It never occurred to me that the camera and lens information was stored in a common location shared by both CC and CS6.  Also, thanks again to Michelle for her useful reply as I did not know that the same ACR file could be used for both PS CC and PS CS6.

Although, I still don't know why my PS CS6 won't update properly or why the manual installers refused to run, you two have provided a satisfactory work around to keep ACR for CS6 up to date.

I'm sorry I can only mark one answer as correct and both you and Michelle's answers were very helpful.  I marked Michelle's reply as correct because it let me know that I could copy the CC ACR file into the correct CS6 folder.

Thanks,

Chuck