7 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2014 3:15 AM by Peter Spier

How do I embed text when exporting to PDF?

nataliegower

Hi, I installed a font called "AddCityBoy" and used it throughout my entire project. When I went to export it to PDF, it gave me an error message but I still tried anyway. When I opened up the PDF on a Mac, (I was using windows beforehand), the text was in a different font. I already went to the "advanced settings" and made sure that "Subset fonts when percent of characters used is less than" was set to 100%. I don't know what else to do! Please help!

• 1. Re: How do I embed text when exporting to PDF?
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What as the error message? It probably said that the font didn't allow embedding. Normally, fonts are always embedded.

You can set Preflight to look for protected fonts (not allowing embedding) or you can view Protected Fonts when you use the Package command.

• 2. Re: How do I embed text when exporting to PDF?
            Scott Haugaard Level 1

Some fonts are protected and will not allow you to embed them. You can get around this by converting them into vector art by selecting the text frame(s) and from the menu, choosing Type>Create Outlines. You will no longer be able to edit the text, so save an original copy of the document before you convert them, in case you want to change things after you have exported.

• 3. Re: How do I embed text when exporting to PDF?
              Migintosh Level 4

Regarding outlining fonts, Scott is correct in that it will allow you to output a PDF that would not allow embedding fonts, but it is really just a band-aid solution that I might consider in your case, but if there is time to find a different font, that would be a way better choice. Outlined type isn't searchable, isn't copyable and won't look as good (because a component of the font is something called "hinting" [which you can look up for more info] that is lost when the type is converted to outlines.

• 4. Re: How do I embed text when exporting to PDF?
                Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Scott, your recommendation is VERY dangerous.

You must not outline fonts in InDesign, because,

• you will loose all automatic bullets,
                • you will loose all automatic numbers,
                • you will loose paragraph rules, above and below,
                • you will loose underlines,
                • you will loose strikes,
                • you will get problems with cross references,
                • you will have problems with texts and text variables, special on masters,
                • you will loose text frame’s strokes and applied effects
                • you will loose text frame's color and applied effects
                • and much more.

Never use the command "Create Outlines" except for graphic use like if you need a frame in the form of letters e.g. to import an image there.

• 5. Re: How do I embed text when exporting to PDF?
                  gert verrept Level 2

If you have to create outlines, read this thread:

indesignsecrets.com/converting-text-to-outlines-the-right-way.php

• 6. Re: How do I embed text when exporting to PDF?
                    Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

As far as I know this works only if the PDF joboption was created with InDesign CS4 or older. The very same setting created with a later version of InDesign would not outline the text but if a setting, saved with CS4 and older is used this setting will work fine in today's version.

• 7. Re: How do I embed text when exporting to PDF?
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The transparency trick can still work. See Possible bug: oulining text w/ flattener in CS5

But there is also another very important point about about outlining fonts to get around licensing restrictions, and that is that in most cases it's also a violation of the license agreement. In the case of AddCityBoy, I can't find a license agreement to check, but it seems to be available on a large number of free font sites. I avoid these because many are restricted to personal use (if the fonts are not actually pirated) so cannot be used commercially at all, and many more are poorly made and cause trouble when trying to output. It's quite possible, for example, that the font author simply forgot to set the embedability permission inthe font, but that's not much help if you want to use it.