6 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2014 7:23 AM by A.T. Romano

I moved a completed dvd file. now cannot open it to make more copies

Kanga4u

I moved my competed files (dvd made with premier 9) and now want to open it, but it will not open. Even though I moved it back to the pc hard drive, it loads the clips, but with a red screen saying something about no media???

• 1. Re: I moved a completed dvd file. now cannot open it to make more copies
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Exactly which files did you Move? The more specific that you can be, the easier it will be to tell you how to correct the issues.

Good luck, and let us know more please.

Hunt

• 2. Re: I moved a completed dvd file. now cannot open it to make more copies
            Kanga4u Level 1

Hello Mr Hunt,

I used the premiere elements 9 to make a video. It is saved as a purple colored PRE.

Once I finished the dvd and made a copy, I “cut” the file plus all the original files and pasted to an external hard drive as I needed to make space on the computer hard drive.

The I wanted to make a second copy, so I opened premiere 9 and tried to open the PRE file. That is when it said the file is missing. So I cut and pasted the files back to the hard drive on my PC.

But they still will not open properly.

When I open the purple pre file, it loads and shows the title photo with menus, but the rest of the files show a red background with the message “media missing”?

I assumed that once a dvd has been made, I can simply use premiere 9 to open the file no matter where it is saved??

I appreciate your help in understanding the problem.

Greetings

ken

• 3. Re: I moved a completed dvd file. now cannot open it to make more copies
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Ken

Once you have saved closed a Premiere Elements project, you cannot move, delete, or rename any of the source media that went into it within disconnecting the source media with the project.

Do you have all the source media that went into the project? If so, move it to a hard drive save location. Remember where everything has been placed.

Open Premiere Elements project to be greeted by the "Where is the file.....?" messages (one after another). Indivdually use a message to browse to the file that the program it looking for and select it to reconnect the missing media. Repeat that for all the "Where is the file....?" messages.

Please let us know if that works for you.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On....What you import into the project represents a copy of the original which is saved to the computer hard drive. The project's thumbnails (copies) need to trace back to the originals at the location that they were obtained from at import.

• 4. Re: I moved a completed dvd file. now cannot open it to make more copies
                Kanga4u Level 1

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. I do have access to the individual files of the film clips. I was looking for the pre file which was an edited version, made into a dvd with titles etc.

I just assumed like with a word document, that a purple PRE file can just be opened no matter where it is. Over the years I have saved different pre dvd’s on different hard drive media. So I assume they will also not be accessable?

This is what my files look like when I open the premiere program.

So, how do I locate them? I cannot find the place where it gives me the option to locate them?

Thanks

ken

• 5. Re: I moved a completed dvd file. now cannot open it to make more copies
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Ken

Thanks for the reply.

Was there a problem attaching a screenshot to your post 4 since your message included

This is what my files look like when I open the premiere program.

and I did not see an expected screenshot.

Premiere Elements project files (project.prel) have been known to failed to open for a variety of reasons, one being that the source media that went into them was moved, deleted, or renamed after the save/close of the project file (project.prel). In some cases, one of these media disconnected project.prel files may open but greet you with "Where is the file.....?" messages which you use for the reconnect. You may want to check out the Adobe document on troubleshooting damaged projects.

Troubleshoot damaged projects | Adobe Premiere Elements

How did you do with the mini test troubleshooting that I suggested in the prior post

Do you have all the source media that went into the project? If so, move it to a hard drive save location. Remember where everything has been placed.

Open Premiere Elements project to be greeted by the "Where is the file.....?" messages (one after another). Indivdually use a message to browse to the file that the program it looking for and select it to reconnect the missing media. Repeat that for all the "Where is the file....?" messages.

Have you actually tried to open any of the older projects that you have treated in the same manner as this current one?

Just moving the saved closed project.prel file (project file) or even renaming it on the hard drive after the save close should not be creating problems with opening that saved/closed project. That is why I am focusing on your workflow and media disconnect. How are you trying to open the saved/closed project that will not open? If you start a new project and save/close/reopen it immediately without any relocation of the project file, does the saved/closed project re-open?

We will be watching for that screenshot to determine if we can spot important information in it to direct us in the troubleshooting.

Please review and consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: I moved a completed dvd file. now cannot open it to make more copies
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Ken

I forgot to mention. If this turns out to be a missing media situation, we should consider using Replace Footage feature to reconnect the media instead of using the "Where is the file....?" messages. Here is a how to for that if that becomes a consideration. The Replace Footage way offers the perk of reconnect and retaining the prior edit.

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-replace-footage.html

More later.

ATR