4 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2014 2:13 PM by Willi Adelberger

Can't put in other text

smccann2000

When I try typing in a different text after changing to chinese in my windows, all i got is a square with a ? mark in the middle. I try copy pasting text in and the same symbol.

Any ideas

• 1. Re: Can't put in other text
          pooja2087 Adobe Employee

Hi,

These question marks are actually missing glyph indicators which simply mean that the glyphs are not available in the font you are currently using. Try using some other font which supports these Chinese glyphs and these question marks will not appear then.

Regards,

Pooja

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can't put in other text
            Migintosh Level 4

What version of InDesign are you using? Not all versions can typeset Asian languages. There are special versions and plug-in packs that will allow this. It could also have to do with your keyboard setting not mapping the keystrokes to the correct glyphs, even if the font contains the glyphs you need.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Can't put in other text
              David W. Goodrich Level 3

English-language InDesign has come with CJK fonts since before the first Creative Suite confused version numbers, and, as Pooja wrote, so long as one applies the right fonts to CJK text ID can do basic, left-to-right typesetting.  (ID's font window lists CJK fonts after most others.)

David

• 4. Re: Can't put in other text
                Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

When you are in the creative cloud you can install InDesign in any available language. You can even install it in several languages at the same place which will add plugins which will be available if you run the application in a different language but will enable you to create and work with text in that language, when it comes to Asian or ME language features.

CC-APP-languages.png