4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2015 9:34 AM by marjantrajkovski

Charset encoding problem

abnesher Level 1

Hi there,

I'm using Edge Animate to develop interactive illustrations for a danish eLearning portal. The website displays illustrations in an iFrame, but Internet Explorer has problems displaying the right special characters (æ, ø and å).

The portal website site uses the ISO-8859-1 charset, while Edge Animate uses UTF-8. This has never been a problem in any other browser, BUT IE. The solution could be to change the charset of the website, but this would mess up years of already developed eLearning-content already implemented in the portal website.

I have been trying to change the charset of my Edge-illustrations by editing the generated html-file. I've also tried setting the charset by using css-commands, but the only thing that would seem to work is changing the encoding for the _edge.js-file as it, by the nature of Edge, contain all the text put into Edge. This last solution is so far the best way to conquer my charset-problem, but this messes up the _edge.js-file for use in Edge Animate ( Edge can still read the js-file, but in some cases it can't read the special characters, and the js file can't be changed back).

So....is there any way to "natively" change the encoding of a project inside Edge Animate? And if not, is there any plans to implement this in the near future?

Regards,

Sune

• 1. Re: Charset encoding problem
          thouston2015

I'm having a very similar issue with Firefox. See this post: Why do I see odd characters in my HTML5 ad?

• 2. Re: Charset encoding problem
            abnesher Level 1

You should check this thread out too. Same problem: Anyone know why Edge might be generating a hidden character in HTML text?

It seems that the newest version of EA (2015) uses a zero-width-space to help break lines of text. If the charset of the website where your EA-content is imbedded has a different setting (EA is UTF-8 by default), some browsers won't be able to show the zero-width-space, and instead shows some strange character. I get the problem in Internet Explorer, but not in Firefox. The problem is similar to what I describe in this thread regarding special characters. My solution for this is using notepad++ to open the .js-file and exchange every special character with it's equivalent HTML entity code....problem now is, that the zero-width-space won't show up in the .js-file (because it has no width ).

If you wan't to see where the zero-width-space gets inserted, open your html-file in Chrome and use the developer tools to locate the HTML entity code for zero-width-space (​). Use Chrome because the code won't show in other browsers' dev tools.

The short term solution is to use a previous version of Edge Animate (2014.0.1 might be the least buggy version). Now, in this previous version, you won't get the text-editing tools of the 2015-version (that causes the zero-width-space problem), but you can still format your text by using .html("<b>your text here</b>) on your textfields.

• 3. Re: Charset encoding problem
              w.hamster

Hi,

do you've already an acceptable solution for this problem?

I've the same one :-/

• 4. Re: Charset encoding problem
                marjantrajkovski Level 4

utf-8 is w3c standard for many years. Problem is with page.