9 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2014 10:15 AM by JJMack

Terrible anti-aliasing when distorting smart objects

NoMagnolia Level 1

I've been using Photoshop since v5.5, and I'm now on CC - this has been a problem for as long as I can remember.

We do a lot of rebranding work - putting logos into photos, swapping screens, etc. When working with smart objects which have been scaled down to 20% or less of their original size, the anti-aliasing becomes AWFUL. I know this has been mentioned elsewhere, but I haven't seen anyone suggest anything that works - if anyone from Adobe reads this, it seems it was about time it was fixed.

anti_alias_test.jpg

Above is a test image: the smart object on the left has been scaled down (as a smart object) on the top right, and then rasterised and scaled down a similar amount on the bottom right. As you can see this problem doesn't happen with non-smart objects. It's more noticeable when the image being scaled down contains fine detail - like many logos do. Not using smart objects isn't an option for us because we have to create so many of these images.

We experimented with using AE instead, which has much better anti-aliasing, but it's not really the best or quickest way of doing the majority of the work we need to do. The only thing that seems to help is reducing the size of the original smart object relative to the size it's ending up, but this again doesn't help when it's an image where one smart object has to appear in the foregraound as well as the background, therefore at a range of different sizes.

Anyone have any ideas or workarounds?

• 1. Re: Terrible anti-aliasing when distorting smart objects
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

NoMagnolia wrote:

I've been using Photoshop since v5.5, and I'm now on CC - this has been a problem for as long as I can remember.

We do a lot of rebranding work - putting logos into photos, swapping screens, etc. When working with smart objects which have been scaled down to 20% or less of their original size, the anti-aliasing becomes AWFUL. I know this has been mentioned elsewhere, but I haven't seen anyone suggest anything that works - if anyone from Adobe reads this, it seems it was about time it was fixed.

First of all the members here are Adobe Photoshop users some members may work for Adobe but this is not an Adobe employee staffed support site.  Adobe does have a feedback site their Photoshop Family team want you to use for feedback and bugs Photoshop Family Customer Community .

Are you in your work-flow using replace contents on smart object layers. If so are you replacing the object with an identically size object  that has the same perspective as the original object. so that the associated smart object layers transform will work well?

• 2. Re: Terrible anti-aliasing when distorting smart objects
            NoMagnolia Level 1

JJMack wrote:

First of all the members here are Adobe Photoshop users

OK, noted - thanks.

That's not the workflow I'm using - generally I'll go into the smart object, alter it, and save & close. However this happens whether I do that or replace with another smart object. If it's a different size it alters the placement of it anyway so there's generally a bit of fixing to do, but in any case it's still looking like I distorted it in MS Paint.

• 3. Re: Terrible anti-aliasing when distorting smart objects
              c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

Are you claiming the down-scaling on the lower right hand has been done on a pixel Layer and the effect would be noticeably worse when done on a Smart Object?

Looks fine to me as a Smart Object.

smartObjectAntiAlias2Scr.jpg

For the perspectival transformation I do get a similarly bad result, though.

Edit: Though a pixel Layers does not seem to yield better results, either.

• 4. Re: Terrible anti-aliasing when distorting smart objects
                c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

The same transformation on a pixel Layer (left) and a Smart Object (right):

smartObjectAntiAlias2b.jpg

While the results are not identical I would not call either truly superior.

• 5. Re: Terrible anti-aliasing when distorting smart objects
                  NoMagnolia Level 1

It's mainly perspective transformations that this is a problem on, yes - sorry if I wasn't clear. Actually seems to happen on non-smart objects just as badly. Updated image below; the bottom right image is a rasterised version of the left-hand layer, which has then been distorted.

anti_alias_test_2.jpg

• 6. Re: Terrible anti-aliasing when distorting smart objects
                    c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

One crude work-around would be to do the perspectival transformation at a larger size, then convert to a Smart Object and scale down this.

• 7. Re: Terrible anti-aliasing when distorting smart objects

NoMagnolia wrote:

That's not the workflow I'm using - generally I'll go into the smart object, alter it, and save & close. However this happens whether I do that or replace with another smart object. If it's a different size it alters the placement of it anyway so there's generally a bit of fixing to do, but in any case it's still looking like I distorted it in MS Paint.

How do you replace with another smart object? Create a new smart layer or replace content.  The distortion you show looks more like a distortion transform then a scaling transform.

• 8. Re: Terrible anti-aliasing when distorting smart objects
                        NoMagnolia Level 1

JJMack wrote:

NoMagnolia wrote:

How do you replace with another smart object? Create a new smart layer or replace content.  The distortion you show looks more like a distortion transform then a scaling transform.

Sorry, bad typing day - I meant replace with another image (Layer > Smart Objects > Replace Contents)

• 9. Re: Terrible anti-aliasing when distorting smart objects

So you are using replace content.  The Smart object layer associated transform will be applied to the replacement so the replacement object should be the same size as the one being replace and have the same perspective as the original object so the transform will work well.

You need to understand a few thing.  While Smart object layers transform like a raster layer via pixel interpolation the interpolation always start from the pixels rendered by Photoshop for the smart object.    When you convert a smart object to a normal pixel layer you wind up with the interpolated pixels of the associated smart object layer transform not the pixels rendered  for the object.  So your resampling different pixels in you two examples you show.

The second thing you need to understand is that text does not resample well with any interpolation method used that's why all text tools are vector based.  You work would be better done using vector graphics things like layer groups that contain shape and text layer  where re-sizing will be done using vector graphics which then can have layer styles added..

IMO you need to change the way your processing logos...

Capture.jpg

Even Bicubic does not do a bad job on my thick text the thinnest one that I have. It also to work large and down size. For working small and up sizing does not work  well.

Capture.jpg