9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2015 9:02 PM by A.T. Romano

m2v files

Norberto Sinde

Hello.

does premiere elements 12 import and edit *.m2v files? Thanks.

• 1. Re: m2v files
          A.T. Romano Level 7

norberto sinde

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on?

My generalized answer would be yes according to the Adobe document on Import Supported Formats

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/using/supported-devices-file-formats.html

However, I would need more information about the source and properties of your video to give more than a generalization reply.

Do you currently have Premiere Elements 12 or are you just thinking about trying it? There is a free 30 day tryout of the program from Adobe in which you can determine if your specific video source is compatible with Premiere Elements 12 in your computer environment.

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: m2v files
            Norberto Sinde Level 1

Thank you for your answer.

I Produce m2v files and wav files on my matrox editing card rtx100 with premiere pro 1.0 and usually I use them to burn a DVD with encore DVD 1.5, but now I need to use the m2v and wav files to create a single file, mpg or mp4, the idea is to buy premiere elements 12 if I can import m2v files and wav files to produce a single file, mpg or mp4 or even m2ts SD (720x576). I will download the trial version to test it and if this works I will buy elements 12....

Thank you for your help.

• 3. Re: m2v files
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Norberto Sinde

Thanks for the follow up.

I am assuming that you are dealing with a .m2v file with MPEG2 video compression and a .m2v file extension (wrapper format).

I suspect you will do well with your .m2v and .wav files in Premiere Elements 12. Is Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit? You may or may not run into MPEG2 playback issues with Windows 8 or 8.1 (that is a Windows 8 or 8.1 issue independant of Premiere Elements - any version).

But, best look at the free 30 day tryout of Premiere Elements 12 from Adobe before any purchase in order to check out the program's compatibility with your computer and project goals.

Please update us on your progress when you get a chance.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: m2v files
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Norberto Sinde

Just some additional thoughts if you look at the tryout for Premiere Elements 12

MP4

1. Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with preset of

a. MP4 - PAL DV Standard

or

b. MP4 - PAL DV Widescreen

Each will give you a file type H.264 with a .mp4 file extension. It uses the Main Concept H.264 Video Codec.

2. Publish+Share/Mobile Phones and Players also offers routes for .mp4 exports. See

Publlsh+Share/Mobile Phones and Players/Apple iPod, iPad, and iPhone and then customization of the export settings under the Advanced Button/Video Tab and Audio Tab of the preset selected.

MPG

1. Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG with preset of

a. Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG with preset of

a. PAL DVD Standard

or

b. PAL DVD Widescreen

Each will give you a file type MPEG2 DVD with a .mpg file extension. It uses the Main Concept MPEG Video Codec. And again customization of the export settings under the Advanced Button/Video Tab and Audio Tab.

M2T (no M2TS)

See Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD and one of the M2T presets which you customize under Advanced Button.

ATR

• 5. Re: m2v files
                  Norberto Sinde Level 1

Sorry I forgot to tell you... I will install premiere elements 12 on a intel core i3 with 4 gb of ram and windows 7 64bit, intel graphics card an no editing hardware...

My file is as follows:

General

Complete name : M:\RENDER\06052014.m2v

Format  : MPEG Video

Format version  : Version 2

File size : 3.96 GiB

Duration   : 59mn 8s

Overall bit rate mode  : Variable

Overall bit rate  : 9 587 Kbps

Video

Format   : MPEG Video

Format version  : Version 2

Format profile  : Main@Main

Format settings, BVOP   : Yes

Format settings, Matrix  : Custom

Format settings, GOP  : M=3, N=12

Duration   : 59mn 8s

Bit rate mode  : Variable

Bit rate  : 9 587 Kbps

Maximum bit rate : 10 000 Kbps

Width   : 720 pixels

Height  : 576 pixels

Display aspect ratio : 16:9

Frame rate : 25.000 fps

Standard : PAL

Color space : YUV

Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0

Bit depth  : 8 bits

Scan type : Interlaced

Scan order : Top Field First

Compression mode : Lossy

Bits/(Pixel*Frame)  : 0.925

Time code of first frame : 00:00:00:00

Stream size : 3.96 GiB (100%)

I Hope this would give you a clearer vision....

I Really appreciate your help...

Thank you.

• 6. Re: m2v files
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Norberto Sinde

The 59 minutes duration/4 GB file size makes me wonder, but...

Premiere Elements 12 is a 64 bit application when running specifically on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit. So, Premiere Elements 12 can take full advantage of the 64 bit resources. But, you might find better performance with 8 GB installed RAM instead of 4 GB. But this is SD, not HD so may work out fine. Also, make sure that you have your Scratch Disks directed to location with adequate free space to accept files that are automatically generated and placed there by the project's activities.

If your destination is DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, you may have to take into consideration that your interlaced source has a scan order of Upper Field First (also known at Top Field First) and not Lower Field First (also known as Bottom Field First) which is part of the DVD-VIDEO format make up. We can talk about that later.

Right now, I would manually set the project preset for PAL DV Widescreen, import the video, and then determine the performance of what you have.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Accuracy of Automatic Project Preset (New Project Dialog) Setting

How to for the manual setting of the project preset is described in the above link.

Please let us know if you are OK with the above.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: m2v files
                      Norberto Sinde Level 1

Thanks, very useful your advice...

I will let you know how it turns out...

cheers!

• 8. Re: m2v files
                        jordang86

First let's learn what M2V format is:

M2V file is a video-only MPEG-2 file. It contains MPEG-2 video only, without audio or subtitle. M2V files are used in situations where you need to separate video and audio tracks into separate files. For example, some video editing or DVD authoring software edit video and audio separately, and combine them together in the last step.

Premiere Elements 12 doesn't support M2V format. So if you want to import M2V into this software, you'd better to convert M2V to it compatible formats.

Hope it can help you.

• 9. Re: m2v files
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

jordang86

We know what M2V file is. We have been there and used it successfully in Premiere Elements 12 and other versions.

What is your source of information that Premiere Elements 12 does not support M2V format? It does. Please give details.

From my experiences with Premiere Elements versions, your information is not accurate and is directing users to unnecessary converter software in this particular case.

If you are having issues with your Premiere Elements 12 workflows, we would offer to help you troubleshoot them.

ATR