8 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2014 6:55 AM by c.pfaffenbichler

script to import layers in other file

agathepicture

Hello,

i'm new to this forum but i use a lot of scripting for my workflow... and there is something i need to do  :

i need to import all groups and layers from a local PSD file (that is "my master" with all guidelines from my client : position, spaces, size of product in the picture)

in a other open PSD file to compose the scene,

and i have 10-50 files to do each day.. and i cannot script this part, wich is a problem for me

somebody has the answer  ?

Tanx a lot

Agathe

• 1. Re: script to import layers in other file
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Is placing the file as a Smart Object is useless because you need the full Layer structure in the receiving file?

What trips you up so far?

How do you want to implement the thing – call a Script with the receiving document open, have a Script with a file or folder selection dialog to select the receiving documents, …?

I recently posted something that groups all Layers,

How do I select similar layers in Photoshop CC?

that might provide a starting pint as one can translate the group to another document.

Are unlinked (edited) Layer Masks/Vector Masks a possibility in the client file?

• 2. Re: script to import layers in other file
            agathepicture Level 1

Yes i need all the layers structure of the first file, i tried smart object but doesn't match this condition

i'd better like to call a script with the second document open, but i'll take the solution that is possible to do !

i read your other post, in fact all my layers are already grouped in my first document, with all layers names and all tidy

is there a way to script something like : "open this file and " translate the group to another document" ?

in fact so far i am not able to go further than "classical" action in photoshop (registering in live the chain of action in my files) script menu ... i never found anywhere (in France) to teach me professionally the "command line" scipt that you use i guess.. i'm willing to but don't know where to start on the web (if you have an adress), and it is really limitating me for my work !

tanx for your help

Agathe

• 3. Re: script to import layers in other file
              c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Supposing the receiving image is open and active and the client file really has everything in just on Group and this Group is the topmost Layer this might help:

// 2014, use it at your own risk;

#target photoshop

if (app.documents.length > 0) {

var myDocument = app.activeDocument;

var aFile = selectFile(false);

if (aFile) {

var theClientFile = app.open(aFile);

var theGroup = theClientFile.layers[0];

theGroup.duplicate(myDocument, ElementPlacement.PLACEATBEGINNING);

theClientFile.close(SaveOptions.DONOTSAVECHANGES)

}

};

////////////////////////////////////

////// select file //////

function selectFile (multi) {

if (multi == true) {var theString = "please select files"}

else {var theString = "please select one file"};

if ($.os.search(/windows/i) != -1) {var theFiles = File.openDialog (theString, '*.jpg;*.tif;*.psd;*.png', multi)}

else {var theFiles = File.openDialog (theString, getFiles, multi)};

////// filter files  for mac //////

function getFiles (theFile) {

if (theFile.name.match(/\.(jpg|tif|psd|png)$/i) || theFile.constructor.name == "Folder") {

return true

};

};

return theFiles

};

To forego the file selection you could drop the lines referring to that and write the file path into (edited)

var theClientFile = app.open(new File(/*insert the proper path here*/));

Edit:

// 2014, use it at your own risk;
              #target photoshop
              if (app.documents.length > 0) {
              var myDocument = app.activeDocument;
              var theClientFile = app.open("…");// include the file’s fullName instead of the periods
              var theGroup = theClientFile.layers[0];
              theGroup.duplicate(myDocument, ElementPlacement.PLACEATBEGINNING);
              theClientFile.close(SaveOptions.DONOTSAVECHANGES)
              };

• 4. Re: script to import layers in other file
                c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Just to make sure:

Paste the code from the previous into a new file in ExtendScript Toolkit and save it as a jsx-file into Photoshop’s Presets/Scripts-folder.

After restarting Photoshop the Script should be available under File > Scripts and can be assigned a Keyboard Shortcut directly, recorded into an Action, be used in a Configurator-Panel or started from ExtendScript Toolkit directly.

As for learning JavaScript for Photoshop you might want to check out »Adobe Intro To Scripting.pdf« and »Photoshop-CS6-Scripting-Guide.pdf«.

• 5. Re: script to import layers in other file
                  c.pfaffenbichler Level 9
                  the "command line" scipt

I don’t think the term is quite appropriate for automating task in Photoshop with Scripting.

As for an introduction to Photoshop Scripting this book

Power, Speed & Automation with Adobe Photoshop: (The Digital Imaging Masters Series): Geoff Scott, Jeffrey Tranberry: 97…

might be of interest, but it is not dedicated to Scripting primarily.

• 6. Re: script to import layers in other file
                    ojodegato Level 1

This post might help you get started with Photoshop Scripting.

How to begin with Photoshop scripting

• 7. Re: script to import layers in other file
                      agathepicture Level 1

tanx a lot for all your informations,

c.pfaffenbichler  i will first read all the pdf to be sure tu use correctly your code !

i'll let you know how i deal with your code

Do you know where i can find the two PSD ref you gave me ? i'll try a google search

Edit : i found the two PDF

in fact I have this book "power, speed..." but i didn't really find a solution, i'll take a better look

ojodegato  tank you for your link, big help too , i need to learn to deal with all this to go further in my work !

really guys, so much help in one post... it's been months i'm looking to go further... tanx !

A

• 8. Re: script to import layers in other file
                        c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Adobe Photoshop Scripting | Adobe Developer Connection

»Adobe Intro To Scripting.pdf« should be part of the ESTK installation.