18 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2014 2:54 PM by Anita Lima

InDesign malfunction.

Anita Lima Level 1

I have had problems with InDesign for several months and the situation is not getting any better, in fact, it is getting worse.

I was advised to do a clean install recently on my Macbook pro - which I did. Unfortunately, this action has not helped the functionality of InDesign CC.

The tools don't work - I cannot click or double click any tools or panels, etc., Not only that, for the past 1.5 weeks, its been raining plug-ins. I spend

nearly all my time deleting or uninstalling them.

Furthermore, I have uninstalled and reinstalled InDesign CC and used the CC Cleaner so many times I have lost count. Also, there was a universal

problem of not being able to sign into the Creative Cloud! What is happening?

I am slowly but surely coming to the end of my tether with Adobe. They are extremely quick to take the money from their clients but they are not so

speedy when it comes to assisting us. Europe and the UK pay more than the US for this malfunctioning software, which is not acceptable. It wouldn't

be so bad if it worked but to pay more for shoddy apps is a bit much!

At the moment, the only functioning Adobe software I have on my machine is Lightroom 5!!!!!!!!!!!!!  This is not helping my business!

Sorry for the rant, but I am sick of being bombarded by plug-ins!!!! 

Please don't tell me to get in touch with Support!!!!!!!!! 

• 1. Re: InDesign malfunction.
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

While no software is perfect, what ever problem you are having is specific to you and your system.

Given that you've supplied nothing for us to go on beyond that you are on a Mac, there's little we can offer in the way of help. Of course, if all you wanted to do was rant a bit, I hope you feel better, but if you'd like us to try and help, then give us some system specs and exactly what types of problems you're having and we might just be able to offer you some assistance.

• 2. Re: InDesign malfunction.
            Anita Lima Level 1

Bob - Many thanks for your response.

A number of weeks ago, you kindly advised me to do a clean install on my macbook pro, which I did. You proposed this action as the tools in InDesign would not work, i.e., no amount of clicking or double clicking would select the appropriate tool or panel.I was very grateful for your advice, but unfortunately the clean install had no effect on the InDesign tools, etc.

You mention that this problem is specific to me and my machine. If that is the case, why have I seen a number of posts complaining about the inability to click or double click on certain items and the software respond in the usual manner?

Not only that, I did mention that there was a problem with signing in to the Creative Cloud. That was not specific to me either, as there was a notice on the Adobe site apologising for the outage……..! I only asked what was happening because when I got in touch with Support they were their usual non-helpful selves and couldn’t give me a reason why this outage occurred.

I did include a smiley in my post when referring to raining plug-ins!!! 

I am sorry to have bothered you!

Kind regards

Anita Lima

anitalima@btconnect.com

• 3. Re: InDesign malfunction.

You're not bothering anyone.

But let's be clear. What did you do a clean install of? Creative Cloud or the operating system? Which operating system.

The clicking to select things issue is a well known problem on Windows 7 and Windows Vista systems, not on Macs and yes, there was a very lengthy log in issue last week but that should not have impacted your use of desktop tools, only the online services.

• 4. Re: InDesign malfunction.

BTW, I have no idea what "raining plugins" means.

• 5. Re: InDesign malfunction.
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

While this problem might be affecting more than just you, it definitely is not the normal state of affairs, and in all probability you share a configuration quirk with others experiencing the problems.

What does "raining plugins" mean? (and we don't see the smileys in the emails we get.) Sign-in problems have been fixed...

The first thing I would do is remove all third party plugins, including any font manager auto-activation plugins.

• 6. Re: InDesign malfunction.
                    Anita Lima Level 1

Thank you!

I paid for an Apple trained engineer to do a clean install of the latest version of Mavericks. And I completed a clean install of Creative Cloud 5 times!!!! The Creative Cloud Cleaner is a permanent fixture on my machine. I just included a smiley!!

InDesign tools haven’t worked since before Christmas!! Everything is taking so long - it’s just terrible! I’m losing work because of it. 

Anita Lima

anitalima@btconnect.com

• 7. Re: InDesign malfunction.

What are the rest of your system specs? RAM? Processor?

• 8. Re: InDesign malfunction.
                        Anita Lima Level 1

Many thanks for your response.

I’ve been in touch with Support on a number of occasions. Firstly, when the Adobe servers were hacked because my account details were affected and I had to change my credit card….

Owing to the fact that I couldn’t sign in, I contacted Support again to find out what was going on because I was afraid that the Adobe servers were compromised once again and that I would have to change my details. Unfortunately, Support didn’t know what was happening!!

I’ve removed all plug-ins but no sooner that I remove them they keep trying to reinstall themselves and I get message after message telling me to sign in. So much so that my screen is rarely clear of the signing-in box. If I insert my password then I am not allowed to choose which plug-in I want but the whole lot descends upon my machine one after the other. It’s a nightmare!

I examined Adobe Exchange and my stuff and the plugins aren’t checked so they shouldn't be trying to download. I have the extension manager installed and I uninstall them one by one and the whole scenario starts again. Plugin after plugin notification appears that’s what I mean by "raining plugins.” ( Sorry, it’s my British sense of humour). It’s non-stop! I can’t sign in for one plugin because I get the lot….!

So, now I only have Lightroom 5 on my machine, which is really not much use to me since I need InDesign!    Here’s another smiley!

Kind regards

Anita Lima

• 9. Re: InDesign malfunction.
                          Anita Lima Level 1

Bob, as requested here’s info:

Processor: 2.7 GhZ

RAM: 16GB

Software: OS X 10.9.3

I hope this is of some help.

Regards

Anita Lima

• 10. Re: InDesign malfunction.

You need to tell us specifically what plugins are being removed and reinstalling themselves....

• 11. Re: InDesign malfunction.
                              Anita Lima Level 1

I recently reinstalled InDesign and from the moment the download reached approximately 90% the plugins I have listed on “My Stuff” within the Adobe Exchange started to download themselves even when they haven’t been checked.

So, I downloaded Extension Manager CC and one by one removed them. But it is if they have a life and mind of their own and no sooner than I have finished deleting them, they start to download once again. Then the sign-in box joins in and it keeps appearing on the screen. If I sign in with my password for one plug in, then the whole lot descends without fail!!

I spend my time installing, uninstalling; deleting and removing plugins and software.

Here’s another smiley……..

Regards

Anita Lima

• 12. Re: InDesign malfunction.

OK, that's really strange. I don' use plugins from the Exchange, so I don't know a lot about this, but I don't believe any plugin should install without your permission. Instead of deleting them, try disabling them in the Extension Manager.

• 13. Re: InDesign malfunction.
                                  Anita Lima Level 1

It is strange, as they shouldn’t install without my permission that’s what’s worrying me

I’ve tried deleting and disabling them and it makes no difference. If I log out and then log in the whole process starts once again.

At the moment. there’s peace and quiet on my machine as I have uninstalled the whole of Creative Cloud. Lightroom’s no problem as it doesn’t formally come under CC the same way as the Creative Suite does.

Unfortunately, I need InDesign as I have an ACE exam in approximately two weeks, so I am fretting a little, as I can’t use the software in the way it was meant to be used.

Many thanks for taking the time to respond.

Regards

Anita Lima

• 14. Re: InDesign malfunction.

Did you trash the prefs along with everything else?

And can you edit your "my stuff" on the exchange?

• 15. Re: InDesign malfunction.
                                      Anita Lima Level 1

I trashed the preferences - that was the first I did!!

I’ll see if I can edit “my stuff’ on the exchange. That’s one thing I hadn’t thought of!

Thank you!

Regards

Anita Lima

• 16. Re: InDesign malfunction.
                                        Anita Lima Level 1

I just thought I would give you an update….!!

I’ve reinstalled InDesign CC and now there’s no Adobe Exchange attached to the software. All the plugins have disappeared! The only extensions listed are: Adobe Exchange and Kuler but when I click AE an update message appears and when clicked it downloads but it’s impossible to access Adobe Exchange. So, I can’t edit “my stuff."

I installed and opened Extension Manager CC - no products and/or plugins are listed!! Everything has disappeared. It doesn’t even show InDesign. 

I really don’t know what’s going on - it’s just crazy!

Once again, thank you for your help.

Regards

Anita Lima

• 17. Re: InDesign malfunction.

I think you need to wipe CC and run the cleaner script again, then try installing in Safe Mode (Hold down the shift key while you boot).

• 18. Re: InDesign malfunction.
                                            Anita Lima Level 1

I logged in approx 20 mins ago and the plugins started downloading non-stop without my permission. I have used the cleaner and wiped CC from my machine. As I was doing so, the plugins were still downloading!!  Another smiley!!

I tried to find out if I could edit Adobe Exchange but found nothing on site which said it was possible.

It's bordering on the ridiculous now as I can't work or revise with InDesign. 

Many thanks for all your help!

Anita