4 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2014 8:19 AM by Steve836

CPU & Graphics for AE?

Steve836

Hi,

Two questions, please.

I need a new PC for After Effects CS5 (I have no plans to upgrade, so don’t need to factor that in).

I’m getting 16gb RAM and a cheap graphics card – either Nvidia GT610 or GT640.

1. With 16gb, will an AMD 8 core give significant benefits over an AMD 6 core, please?

2. Is there any benefit in spending a little more on a GT640 or will the 610 suffice, please?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Steve

• 1. Re: CPU & Graphics for AE?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

1. With 16gb, will an AMD 8 core give significant benefits over an AMD 6 core, please?

No. Simply do the math: 16GB/8=2GB per core, 16GB/6=~2.65 GB per core, assuming you were to use all of them just for AE with MP rendering. A marginal difference at best and then of course the usual "if you use feature X, it will nmot use MP rendering..." disclaimers apply.

2. Is there any benefit in spending a little more on a GT640 or will the 610 suffice, please?

Zero. CS5 did not use anything beyond basic OpenGL. Any such decision would be much more dependent on third-party plug-ins that may use GPU-acceleration.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: CPU & Graphics for AE?
            Steve836 Level 1

Hi Mylenium,

Thanks for the info.

However, I did a different math - 8 cores at 4.0 ghz each is better than 6 cores at 3.9 ghz.

Are you saying that CPU power doesn't matter? That RAM is the only thing to be concerned with?

If so, am I better getting 4 cores so they have 4gb RAM each, or even 2 cores with 8gb?

Sorry this is such a basic question, but I really have no idea about this subject.

Thanks,

Steve

• 3. Re: CPU & Graphics for AE?
              Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Mylenium replied to the option you gave him - you didn't mention clock speed.

CPU is the most important factor to After Effects (so long as the CPUs have enough RAM).  So, of course 8 x 4.0Ghz cores will render faster than 6 x 3.9 Ghz cores.

16Gb of RAM in an 8 core machine is not ideal, but will generally perform well.  If you're working on a memory intensive project you can always reduce the number of cores utilised temporarily. 

If this purchase is meant to last you a few years, I'd go with the 8 core machine, but make sure your RAM is configured appropriately (with some free slots) so you can add 8 or 16Gb extra when your budget allows.

• 4. Re: CPU & Graphics for AE?
                Steve836 Level 1

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for elaborating on the CPU issue.

If renders fail due to memory issues, are you saying I may be able to simply reduce the number of cores to, for example,  4, so they each have 4gb RAM instead of only 2, to get around the issue?

I hope I've read that right because it's really interesting and something I'd never thought of.

Thanks,

Steve