1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 11, 2007 12:11 PM by Newsgroup_User

serialized data is null

bldrbldr Level 1
      I'm making a call to a RemoteObject, and everything works swimmingly when my server method returns class A, but when I return a class B that extends A adding no additional fields, I get a null value on the client. Through trial and error and some documentation study, I've found a number of reasons to get a null value on the client such as:

* The Java classes must implement Serializable
      * If either the Java or AS3 class implements Externalizable, so must the other
      * Incomplete compilation on the Java class
      * The classes being deserialized in the Flash VM must have been loaded by the Flash class loader
      * All superclasses must be Serializable and meet the above criteria

I've checked all these conditions. I've tried turning on the logging for messaging, but it doesn't give helpful messages when it decides it can't deserialize the data.

What else can I check and what is the best way to understand what is going on under the covers during remote method invocation??
        • 1. Re: serialized data is null
          Level 7

Note that the Java classes no longer need to implement Serializable as of
          Flex 2.0.

Do you have matching property accessors on the client type for all of the
          properties of B and superclass A?

Have you mapped the [RemoteClass(alias="com.whatever.B")] for the matching
          ActionScript B implementation too?

> I'm making a call to a RemoteObject, and everything works swimmingly
          > when my server method returns class A, but when I return a class B
          > that extends A adding no additional fields, I get a null value on the
          > client. Through trial and error and some documentation study, I've
          > found a number of reasons to get a null value on the client such as:
          >
          > * The Java classes must implement Serializable
          > * If either the Java or AS3 class implements Externalizable, so must
          > the other
          > * Incomplete compilation on the Java class
          > * The classes being deserialized in the Flash VM must have been
          > loaded by the
          > Flash class loader
          > * All superclasses must be Serializable and meet the above criteria
          > I've checked all these conditions. I've tried turning on the logging
          > for messaging, but it doesn't give helpful messages when it decides it
          > can't deserialize the data.
          >
          > What else can I check and what is the best way to understand what is
          > going on under the covers during remote method invocation??
          >