15 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2014 4:01 PM by Pbeck1

Can an interlaced project be exported as progressive? Any or much quality loss?

Pbeck1 Level 1

Would Premiere Elements automatically de-interlaced it during export, and is it done well? How does it do it? Much quality loss (if any)?

I have PreE 10 & 12 on 2 computers.

• 1. Re: Can an interlaced project be exported as progressive? Any or much quality loss?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Pbeck1

You can deinterlace video at the Timeline level by right clicking the Timeline interlaced video, selecting Field Options, and then Always Deinterlace option. This option is explained near the bottom of the following article.

Adobe Premiere Elements 11 * Working with aspect ratios and field options

At the export level, for example, Publish+Share/Computer/......., preset, click on the Advanced Button/Video Tab of the preset selected and look to the Summary in the Export Settings customization area to determine if the Output will be de-interlaced.

The following is an excellent article on Interlacing? Please check it out especially that parts that talk about when to do.

Interlacing - Luke's Video Guide

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Can an interlaced project be exported as progressive? Any or much quality loss?
            Pbeck1 Level 1

Interlacing - Luke's Video Guide Very interesting (but complex) read

Ok, what i don't understand is what it means by 'television' and that they only display video as interlaced. Is it talking about the old tube televisions or does this also include the newer HD televisions?

The thing that got me worried about interlaced video was the fact that for the last 2 years my DSLR has been recording my video clips in 1920x1080i. I've been making my yearly movies with them and exporting as interlaced too. Then i read that interlaced videos don't play well on computer monitors (the thing they will be watched mostly on. Although they will from time to time also be watched on a HD TV (being played on a Blu-Ray player that's capable of playing those standalone files).

So in theory i cant please both displays (computer monitor or television (unless the newer HD televisions can in fact play progressive video too and thus it would be a good idea to de-interlace the clips and re-export the finished movies as progressive, so they display correctly on computer monitors and HD televisions too))

This is giving me a headache, lol

• 3. Re: Can an interlaced project be exported as progressive? Any or much quality loss?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Pbeck1

I will give you the longer version shortly, but for now what computer players have you been using to play back your interlaced exports?

And, what do they look like? Distortions? When you view these same exports on your TV, what do they look like? Distortions?

The computer player may have a setting for "de-interlace" which can be applied if you think it necessary. Some players come with automatic deinterlacing of interlaced video.

More later.

ATR

• 4. Re: Can an interlaced project be exported as progressive? Any or much quality loss?
                Pbeck1 Level 1

Well up until now, I've always thought they look pretty good on both my hd tv and the pc screen, but i suppose i wasn't really looking too closely at them i.e at the pixel or line level. Just want to get those pesky settings right because in a few years time i wont be able to go back and change things. I've always let Premiere Elements choose the project settings for me (auto), and always exported the finished movies in the same format. So they probably are done correctly. Was just a bit 'thrown' by the fact that an interlaced movie won't look so good on a PC screen (where they will be viewed on most).

Um, perhaps i should consider they they are correct and are the best that they can be.

p.s I'm using Media Player Classic to play the videos on the PC

• 5. Re: Can an interlaced project be exported as progressive? Any or much quality loss?
                  Pbeck1 Level 1

Thinking about it further:

I think my HD tv can only play 720p & 1080i, but not as high as 1080p, so there wouldn't be much point in de-interlacing inside my 1080i Premiere Elements projects and exporting as 1080p. So in theory my HD tv will display the movies correctly as they are (1080i), and as you're saying a pc media player will automatically de-interlace an interlaced movie for playback on a progressive pc monitor then there's not really a problem playing them on a pc then either.

Does that sound right?

Sounds to me like the people that designed HDTV's had a golden chance to standardise all HD video to one format but missed the chance, i.e only 1280x720p or 1920x1080p (all 30fps).

• 6. Re: Can an interlaced project be exported as progressive? Any or much quality loss?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Pbeck1

If you have a HDTV, that uses progressive scan. So if you have interlaced video, the TV technology will convert from interlaced to progressive presumed automatically. It is the traditional TV sets that went with the interlaced scan.

The computer players go with the progressive scan. A computer player such as the VLC player runs with its deinterlacing filter disabled by default. You can enable it is necessary, and it gives you a variety of deinterlacing methods to select from.

https://wiki.videolan.org/Deinterlacing

As far as I can tell, Windows Media Player does the deinterlacing of interlaced via automatically. I do not believe that the user can control that situation.

As for the Media Player Classsic, I would need to do more checking but I believe it works with deinterlacing off by default. But, it may be user adjustable?

Bottom line is that you depend on the player and its technology to determine the effectiveness in deinterlacing interlaced video for playback.

If you are getting good viewing, go with it.

ATR

• 7. Re: Can an interlaced project be exported as progressive? Any or much quality loss?
                      Pbeck1 Level 1

Makes me wonder why the people that created the HD standards didn't end the use of interlaced video, if computer monitors and HD tv's are progressive.

Anyway thanks for all your valued advice ATR

• 8. Re: Can an interlaced project be exported as progressive? Any or much quality loss?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Pbeck1

You wrote

Makes me wonder why the people that created the HD standards didn't end the use of interlaced video, if computer monitors and HD tv's are progressive.

Please check out the following which I believe goes to the traditional - HD TV interlaced - progressive decisions

Information about interlaced and progressive scan signals

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/162/861271

ATR

• 9. Re: Can an interlaced project be exported as progressive? Any or much quality loss?
                          Pbeck1 Level 1

Great, now i know, thanks for the links.

Here's a snippet:

"Interlaced video can only be shown directly on CRT (cathode ray tube) displays. For all other display devices, some form of deinterlacing needs to be done to prevent the interlaced lines from becoming visible, which would be seen as saw tooth, edge distortion, mice teeth, combing or serrations." 

With the advent of other television technologies like LCD and plasma televisions, it now becomes a real problem when watching interlaced video on the monitor. Editing, keying and compositing is more difficult with interlaced video, typically the fields are removed and/or interpolated/duplicated for many of these processes, which reduces the quality of the video. (60i referrs to 60 fields, two of which make up a frame.) When HD video came along, interlacing was still used, as it saved bandwidth, making the broadcast of 1080i possible. These days, it's more of a legacy process, and the major companies are finding ways of getting rid of interlacing entirely.

• 10. Re: Can an interlaced project be exported as progressive? Any or much quality loss?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Pbeck1

Glad that the information helped.

Please let me know if you need any supplemental information. But, it sounds like you are on a good interlaced or progressive path with a lot of avenues yet to be explored.

Best wishes

ATR

• 11. Re: Can an interlaced project be exported as progressive? Any or much quality loss?
                              Pbeck1 Level 1

Yes, my current thinking is this: From my child's 4th birthday in August (2 months time) i will start shooting my clips in 720p or 1080p (i will need a new DSLR or camcorder).

My reasons are:

1) Better display of the finished movie/s on a PC monitor or HD TV.

2) More future proof

3) Easier to edit, scale/resize or convert

4) Less time pestering people in forums, lol

Many many thanks.

• 12. Re: Can an interlaced project be exported as progressive? Any or much quality loss?
                                Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Pbeck1 wrote:

4) Less time pestering people in forums

Not really.  The questions are just different.

• 13. Re: Can an interlaced project be exported as progressive? Any or much quality loss?
                                  Pbeck1 Level 1

If i did decide on making a progressive movie from interlaced clips (that i de-interlace on the timeline), what project settings would i initially choose, 1080p or 1080i?

• 14. Re: Can an interlaced project be exported as progressive? Any or much quality loss?
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Pbeck1

The project preset should match the properties of the source media. If your source is 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second (field order Upper Field First), then your project preset =

NTSC

AVCHD

Full 1080i30.

Then I would compare the results from Timeline Field Options "Always Deinterlace" with those obtained by just taking advantage of the deinterlacing action in the export settings in Publish+Share/Computer/X with preset and its customization area under the Advanced Button/Video Tab.

We all learn with the Q&A here so do not hesitate to ask questions. Because of you I am digging into "Interlace Consecutive Frames" and discovering all sorts of interesting things. More on that later.

ATR

• 15. Re: Can an interlaced project be exported as progressive? Any or much quality loss?
                                      Pbeck1 Level 1

I just realised i can turn off automatic de-interlacing of a video that's being played by Media Player Classic (right click on the LAV video decoder icon that appears in the system tray).

Truly eye opening to see the video being displayed interlaced on my PC monitor - looks terrible (especially during fast transitions). No wonder it looked quite good when de-interlaced, lol. I suspect it's loosing some resolution though when played de-interlaced. I would never of known any of this before this thread.

I hope media players and televisions in the future will always be able to de-interlace