25 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2014 5:29 AM by D Fosse

work space too far right

syknrong Level 1

Hi guys,

All off a sudden my work space is really far to the right. I'm not sure how it happened but I have about 3" of blank space to the left and the right side is crowded to the right behind panels. I know it wasn't like this when I started using CC. Any ideas? Thank you!

• 1. Re: work space too far right
          Level 5

Go to the Window menu > Workspace > Reset NameOfYourWorkspace.

It wouldn't hurt to read the basic documentation and/or consult the Help menu files once in a while.

• 2. Re: work space too far right
            syknrong Level 1

That didn't work. In fact the only option under rename was untilteled. I tried that and then named it, but it stayed exactly where it was.

• 3. Re: work space too far right
              Level 5

If you give complete and detailed information about your setup and the issue at hand, such as your platform (Mac or Win), exact versions of your OS, of Photoshop and of Bridge, machine specs, what troubleshooting steps you have taken so far, what error message(s) you receive, if having issues opening raw files also the exact camera make and model that generated them, etc., someone may be able to help you.

Please read this FAQ for advice on how to ask your questions correctly for quicker and better answers:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/419981?tstart=0

Thanks!

• 4. Re: work space too far right
                Level 5

syknrong wrote:

That didn't work. In fact the only option under rename was untilteled…

No, no,  I did not type "Rename".  I typed RESET.

You should see this:

Screen Shot 2014-05-25 at 5.28.51 AM.png

So, first choose the workspace that is off-center.  If that doesn't fix it, then select the RESET command as seen in the screenshot.  If the workspace file is not corrupted, re-setting it will fix it.

If the issue continues, come back with the missing information mentioned above.

• 5. Re: work space too far right
                  syknrong Level 1

Hi Station,

I apologize for misreading your initial reply. I was in a hurry this morning as I have to work today. I will try the "reset" when I get home this evening. As far as my other info:

I'm on Windows 7 home pro

Photoshop, lightroom, bridge all CC

I get no errors and no trouble opening raw files. Current camera is Canon T3i.

Everything seems to be working fine other than the annoyance of the work space being so far to the right. I will reply once I get home and retry your suggestion. Thank you very much!

• 6. Re: work space too far right
                    syknrong Level 1

Ok, just got home and tried to reset workspace. It didn't seem like it did anything and if it did, it didn't move back to center. Here's a screenshot. Maybe I'm just an idiot and it's something easy?

workspace.jpg

• 7. Re: work space too far right
                      D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You just need to dock the panels. Grab the top bar and drag them until the cursor hits the screen edge - then you'll see a blue line appearing. Drop them there.

• 8. Re: work space too far right
                        syknrong Level 1

Ok, did that, but that didn't really improve my situation. There's no way I can move the window further to the left? I know once I've enlarged it past screen size I can use the hand tool to move it, but this just seems wrong. Is something preventing that left side from movement. As you can see from this screen shot as I enlarged the space it went every direction, but left.

workspace2.jpg

• 9. Re: work space too far right

You still haven't docked your panels. Drag until you see the blue line.

And what about the scroll bar on the bottom? Does that do anything? In any case using the hand tool (quickly accessed via the spacebar), you should be able to go well beyond the image boundaries.

• 10. Re: work space too far right
                            Level 5

syknrong wrote:

Ok, just got home and tried to reset workspace. It didn't seem like it did anything and if it did, it didn't move back to center. Here's a screenshot. Maybe I'm just an idiot and it's something easy?

workspace.jpg

This particular screen shot shows your image window is smack in the center of your workspace.

Just measure the distance from each edge of the image window to the corresponding edge of the workspace at the bottom of the image window.  It's the panels that are skewing your impression of where the image window is.  Remember, the panels are floating above your image window, right on top of it, not to the right of it.

In your other shots, the image window doesn't fit on your monitor (see the slides).

On a Mac we would rectify this by UNCHECKING the Application Frame in the Photoshop Window menu.  I don't know if that is possible now in the butt-ugly Windows interface, but maybe Adobe now provides that relief for PC users. 

• 11. Re: work space too far right
                              Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

The panels are not docked, but still floating.  You either did not Reset your work space, or you have saved a new workspace and this is it.  We can't see what workspace you are in, because your floating panels are covering it up.

If not alreading using the Essentials work space:

Go Window > Workspace > Essentials (default)

Then go

Window > Workspace > Reset Essentials

Then go

View > Screen Mode > Standard

If things are still not right, go

Window > Arrange > Consolidate all to Tabs

This should cover all possibilities, but if it doesn't reset Preferences.

• 12. Re: work space too far right
                                syknrong Level 1

You were absolutely right! I had docked the tow panels to one another, but not to the main work space. That is EXACTLY what was wrong. Now when I enlarge it, it behaves as it should. Thank you SO much! I realized after posting this that I still have "essentials" covered up. I fixed that and I think all is well. Thanks to all who pitched in. I really appreciate it!

workspace3.jpg

• 13. Re: work space too far right

Next step is to get a second monitor.  (I've seen them go for $1 on eBay), and make your self a custom workspace.  You'll be amazed by how much it speeds up your workflow.

• 14. Re: work space too far right
                                    syknrong Level 1

I like that idea Trevor. Thank you!

• 15. Re: work space too far right
                                      Level 5

One of my oldest and treasured CRTs died recently.  I immediately ordered a replacement one, a refurbished Dell 24" unit, for well under $100, no shipping charges.  It works just fine for a second monitor for all panels, palettes and such. By calibrating it and fiddling with its controls, it even matches the colors on my main monitor, my last cherished LaCie 22" CRT.

I've had dual monitors for years, and I can't imagine having to work with only one. I just stayed away from the computers for the very few days it took for the Dell to arrive on my porch.

• 16. Re: work space too far right
                                        syknrong Level 1

Very nice. That really sounds like the way to go. Thanks again for all the help and advise!

• 17. Re: work space too far right

station_two wrote:

I've had dual monitors for years, and I can't imagine having to work with only one.

I think there must be something wrong with me. In addition to my two main monitor workhorses (for office and home), I have three others floating around, all decent ones.

So I decided to try again with dual monitor setups. I stuck with it for three days, dutifully trying to arrange everything in a sensible manner. Then I sat back and said "**** this" and disconnected them again. I just like to have everything right in front of me on a single screen.

I can't explain it...just doesn't feel right.

• 18. Re: work space too far right
                                            Level 5

Thank you for your welcome and well reasoned feedback. 

Of course each one has a preferred way of working, and attempting to change another user's work habits is both futile and improper.  I'm not sure whether you are primarily a photographer or a designer/illustrator, both kinds of artists tend to use Photoshop differently.

Without meaning to sway you back to a multi monitor setup, I'm not following you when you mention "I just like to have everything right in front of me on a single screen".

My dual monitor setup is absolutely no different than having a single 3080 pixel x 1050 pixel right in front of me—except for a 3 cm black bar in between the two sections but with the great advantage of having each at an angle to each other so that I'm looking at a wide panoramic scenic with minimal eye movement; and everything is right in front of me.

Take for instance Bridge:  the Preview pane takes over the left-hand, main monitor; the right-hand, secondary monitor shows the Content Pane, with unusually generously sized thumbnails, and on the extreme right I have five docked panes: Favorites, Folders, Metadata, Filter, Keywords and collections.

All of that is in front of me.

Again, not trying to convince you of anything, except perhaps that I do have all that in front of me.

Screen Shot 2014-05-26 at 12.27.45 AM.png

Click thumbnail for full image, then scroll horizontally (it's a very wide image) and vertically as needed. 3086 pixels by 1050 pixels image,

• 19. Re: work space too far right

I knew with absolute certainty that once we started talking about monitors, Dag would join the thread, but I have to say I am utterly flummoxed by the content of his post!  I suspect that the truth of it is that Dag found multiple monitors a positive step in his workflow, his progress was halted by a deep routed phobia of anything less than monitor perfection, and he is unable to live with a second screen which has two diodes with a pico-lux discrepancy in corner brightness. 

He will be screwing up his face and shuddering if is even able to read this!

We've done this several times before, but being serious, what’s not to like about dual monitors?  All those open widows to drag stuff between, or having your email client open on one and web browser on another.  With Photoshop it doesn’t take much thinking about. You maximise the screen area for your image, but have all your important panels not only permanently open, but with large thumbnails, and room for long layer/path names that you can still read when squeezed by a layer mask.

The secret is having lots of pixels, which means WUXGA (1920x1200).  In portrait mode, nothing is too far away.  Panels that you really do need to be close at hand, like Character, Paragraph, GuideGuide, Clone Source, etc. you have collapsed and docked on the right edge of your main screen where they can be toggled in and out of their expanded state with a single mouse click.

I love being able to ctrl click a Work Path icon to load it as a selection.  I love having a really big layers panel with the afore mentioned space for long layer names. I even have space for the Dmonzon tools panel to be included in my usual work space. 

I don’t like the fact that my Brush panel is on the right of my screen, because I often constantly change brush angles, or flip them, and like everyone else, I begrudge having to move the cursor even that far.  I also don’t care for the fact that being in portrait mode, the bottom edge on my 24inch second monitor in only 50mm above my desk, while the top protrudes 50mm higher than my main 30in monitor. 

This shows all of my second screen, and right edge of the main screen.  There are compromises, but this one has evolved over the time I've had this bigger screen, and the years when I used to have a 19inch 4:3 second screen.  Like I said above.  The secret is having a high enough resolution to fit everything in. Several of the panels are fixed size, and with a 1080 monitor you'd have to sacrifice the big thumbnails and long layer names.  I don't really use the Navigator, but everything else that I use is open, and I had a space to fill.  I always love to see other people's ideas, unless they are of the panels randomly scattered and dragged about the screen variety that have a similar effect on me, to second rate monitors have on dag.

Screen 2.jpg

• 20. Re: work space too far right

Yes, all that seems to make perfect sense and I've wondered why I'm just not comfortable with it.

I think it's the ultrawide panorama I don't like, too much eye and head movement. Not that a little neck exercise ever hurts , it's just that I lose concentration when I'm right in the middle of something.

I actually miss the old 4:3 format. A 16:10 main monitor and a 4:3 secondary would be OK by me.

• 21. Re: work space too far right

Trevor Dennis wrote:

his progress was halted by a deep routed phobia of anything less than monitor perfection, and he is unable to live with a second screen which has two diodes with a pico-lux discrepancy in corner brightness.

Ha ha, yes, well, I didn't want to bring that up, but...it's just one pixel, but I just can't stand looking at it...

• 22. Re: work space too far right

BTW, We don't see so much on Noel lately, but he now has the screen realestate equivalent of his totally OTT four big SSDs in a raid0 boot drive.  He has a total of 4960 pixels width, and 1600 pixels height, over three Dell Ultrasharps with the outer pair in portrait mode.  The demo screen grab he sent me a while back has a rather impressive photograph of the moon open, in which you can clearly see the Hasselblad camera left behind all those years ago!   Honest Injun! 

While on the subject of monitors, I added another glitch to the two vertical lines that I see on my main 30inch Dell until it warms up.  All I did was slat a tiny storm fly against it with rolled up paper, and left a nasty black mark on the screen. :-(  After a quick Google I found some metal polish and it came out OK, but I was a worrying moment.

• 23. Re: work space too far right

I'm a little curious about the 4K displays, but so far none has been released that could be considered...er, reference quality. I'm waiting on NEC/Eizo to see what they can come up with, but I suppose the price will be prohibitive in the overseeable future. For that high resolution to be really useful you'd probably need at least 30 inch or so.

Here's my current workspace, it has everything I need at my fingertips. Note I have Actions and History tucked up in the corner. The Properties panel pops open with an adjustment layer, and then auto-collapses. The Windows taskbar is on auto-hide.

Oh, BTW, that's me in the mirror on the back wall....

PS_workspace.png

• 24. Re: work space too far right

Cool gallery Dag.    Is the levitating man an exhibit, or a client who has just been told the price of the piece he wanted to buy?

• 25. Re: work space too far right

It's a sculpture by New York hotshot Tony Matelli. The other guy is real (though you couldn't tell the difference), just a regular visitor and I've no idea what he was writing in his notebook. It's a fun picture and one of my favorites.