11 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2014 12:48 PM by St-K

Aspect ratio problem with consumer camera and Premiere Elements 11

St-K

Hello everyone - I'm Steve. I'm new here. I do still photography on a pro level, digital and analog, but I am an absolute dummy with video...but then, I don't want to do much, just rudimentarily cut a few family videos, upload them, etc.

However, I can't get Premiere Elements 11 to output my self-shot clips in a correct aspect ratio.

My camera is a consumer-model Canon Legria FS200. I shoot video in a resolution the camera calls XP. The camera says they are 16:9, the camera monitor shows them as 16:9, and when I use the software (called Pixela Image Mixer) that came with the camera to import the clips to disk, I get mpg files that Windows (7) Explorer says are 720x576 pixel, and that VLC player correctly displays as wide-screen 16:9 without me having to tweak its display settings.

However, the moment I import them into Premiere Elements, they appear horizontally squeezed, and I can't seem to output them any other way, with or even without editing them in Premiere. 

I tried to use the recipe given here: https://forums.adobe.com/message/5987538#5987538 , (replacing only NTSC with PAL because I'm in Germany),  namely, setting the project preset set manually for PAL/Hard Disk etc/ Widescreen 48kHz and check force selected program settings. But no matter, Premiere displays the video in horizontally compressed form, with large black bars to the right and to the left.

On the export side, setting the output to PAL DVD Widescreen and setting the Pixel Aspect Ratio in the output settings to Widescreen does not help, either. Neither can I force VLC player manually to display the correct aspect ratio. BTW, audio is perfect all along.

This is about as far as I can see myself getting without help. Has anyone any idea?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Steve, from Germany

• 1. Re: Aspect ratio problem with consumer camera and Premiere Elements 11
          Richard M Knight Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is a different forum for Premiere Elements.

Try

Premiere Elements

• 2. Re: Aspect ratio problem with consumer camera and Premiere Elements 11
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Interprete all the clips as widescreen then drop them on the timeline.

• 3. Re: Aspect ratio problem with consumer camera and Premiere Elements 11
              St-K Level 1

Sorry, Richard, I'd supposed there would be, but somehow I didn't find it.

But Ann pointed me towards the correct solution - which I wouldn't have found in a lifetime.

I'll summarize for those who happen to find this thread what I did:

Switch main window to Expert mode, select Project Assets up beside the Import panel, mark all clips, go to File/Interpret footage, set Pixel Aspect Ratio manually to D1 DV PAL Widescreen 16:9. Now the clips display correctly in Premiere Elements, and I can save them with correct aspect ratio in whatever mode I wish.

A big Thank You.

Steve

• 4. Re: Aspect ratio problem with consumer camera and Premiere Elements 11
                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Glad I could help.

A moderator will move this thread to the correct forum.

• 5. Re: Aspect ratio problem with consumer camera and Premiere Elements 11
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

[Moved to Premiere Elements forum.]

• 6. Re: Aspect ratio problem with consumer camera and Premiere Elements 11
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

I see that you are now in the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum with your problem already solved.

I did not see any Why for what you encountered, so I thought I would give you my take on this.

Your Canon FS200 gives video with MPEG2 video compression with a .mod file extension. That .mod file extension can be found in use with some Canon as well as JVC cameras. The .mod file history with Premiere Elements (any version) is problematic. In some instances, the user needs to rename the file extension from .mod to .mpg before it can be imported, but not always. But, the .mod widescreen comes packaged with the aspect ratio dilemma, presenting as 4:3 rather than 16:9. The classical argument is whether Premiere Elements does not recognize a .mod file's 16:9 flag or whether the 16:9 flag got lost.

There used to be a utility contributed by an user to handle the file extension and/or aspect ratio issues. Now, the general fix is to import the file into Premiere Elements (in your case 11) with Add Media/Files and Folder/Project Assets. And in Project Assets, you right click the file, select Interpret Footage, and go to the Pixel Aspect Ratio section of the Interpret Footage dialog where you

(a) dot the Conform To:

and

(a) set the Contorm To: field to (in your case) D1/DV PAL Widescreen 16:9 (1.4587)

Once you are in the program and have the file on the Timeline, if any black edges, you can click the monitor to bring up the image's bounding box. Then drag on a bounding box handle to scale the image just to the point where the black edges are gone.

If you ever need the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum, maybe bookmark this link

Premiere Elements

You should expect to have this issue with any .mod widescreen file that you obtain from your Canon FS200 camera.

ATR

Add On...If you are depending on the program to set the correct project preset, you may want to check into what it is setting based on the properties the first file you drag to the Timeline. A manual setting of the project preset may be in order. Please see

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Accuracy of Automatic Project Preset (New Project Dialog) Setting

• 7. Re: Aspect ratio problem with consumer camera and Premiere Elements 11
                      St-K Level 1

ATR, thanks a LOT for the explanations, and the helpful links. Frankly I didn't want to nag about not understanding the solution, especially as I was wrongly posting in the pro forum... like I said, I'm a video dummy, I was glad it worked, no matter why.

But since we're among Elements here, I'll add that I'm worried as I've already occasionally run into the same problem (as you said I would), although my main video display program VLC player luckily understands the files. As far as I understand this, apparently the problem is only secondarily PE's, but mainly the fact that my camera is recording 4:3 videos that are masquerading as 16:9, and that it's the display program's responsibility to seek, find, and interpret the widescreen flag.

This is, let's say, suboptimal. Mainly I'm worried that a couple of years down the line I may not be able to find a program that knows how to display my videos, which really would be a serious loss - family footage, memories, that kind of thing.

I've already wondered wether I shouldn't recode everything to a more universal format, but I believe every recoding reduces the quality. Besides, I probably don't understand enough to select and recode to a format that is reasonably future-safe. (I would think MPG is, but evidently there are flavors that aren't.)  Or maybe I should just get a camera that records what it says it does? As it is, I am fighting a losing battle keeping up with the reams of data that high-resolution still photography produces (like 50 MB per single RAW file), and I hesitate to burden myself with a new camera that would presumably produce HD video, but I do get the impression that this could be a more reliable option.

Thoughtfully - Steve

• 8. Re: Aspect ratio problem with consumer camera and Premiere Elements 11
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

Lots to consider. There are those who would fight to the end that Canon and JVC are doing it "right", and it is Premiere Elements who refuses to recognize the 16:9 flag that needs to be associated with the .mod widescreen. Long and historical story.

From the point of view of SD vs HD and your Premiere Elements 11 and your computer environment...if Premiere Elements 11 is on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit, you are in a good place resource wise for SD or HD projects. In this situation, Premiere Elements 11 is a 64 bit application running in a 64 bit system and can take advantage of the 64 bit resources. A perk here is that the larger project gets taken to a successful completion more often then otherwise. In this type of situation, often the classical recommendations for "not to exceed" photo pixel dimensions for import can be stretches depending on the level of computer resources. But, "just because you can" does not mean you should. And, no matter how high the resolution of the photo import, it will be reduced to the properties of the export which can present at 1920 x 1080, unless you go version 12 and get involved in 4K.

If possible, do the mini test runs and tryout before investment and purchase.

Best wishes.

ATR

• 9. Re: Aspect ratio problem with consumer camera and Premiere Elements 11
                          St-K Level 1

Lots of food for thought, thanks for the input.

As to the original problem, I have by now run quite a few tests on the aspect ratio problem, and I can actually choose whatever output I want, after the 'interprete' step my videos are displayed at correct aspect ratio. Relief :-) .

However, one additional question has arisen. If I tell VLC player to 'always use full window size', it blows the camera-original videos, at slight loss of resolution, of course, up to full-size on my 1920x1080 monitor. Try as I may, Premiere Elements always produces output that is considerably smaller, at the original pixel size/16:9 version. Interestingly, VLC player refuses to enlarge those Premiere-produced videos in the same way that it enlarges the original ones, even though are both MPG, and the same holds true for the flash output, too. I have lots to learn, apparently... is there a way to make the output enlarge-able? I probably wouldn't want to permanently zoom them up - the analog photographer's respect for the original -, but the option would be nice?

All the very best from a stormy Germany -

Steve

• 10. Re: Aspect ratio problem with consumer camera and Premiere Elements 11
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

Thanks for the reply. With regard to

Try as I may, Premiere Elements always produces output that is considerably smaller, at the original pixel size/16:9 version. Interestingly, VLC player refuses to enlarge those Premiere-produced videos in the same way that it enlarges the original ones, even though are both MPG,

I am not sure if I am in sync with the details. But, here is a consideration...when you have a file such as PAL DV Widescreen 16:9 (frame size 720 x 576), you depend on the player to recognize the 16:9 flag to stretch the video for display after encoding. In this case the stretch would be expected to be to 1024 x 576 or 1056 x 576....and when you have a file such as HDV 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 (frame size 1440 x 1080), you depend on the player to recognize the 16:9 flag to stretch the video for display after encoding. In this case the stretch would be expected to be to 1920 x 1080. Some players have problems recognizing these 16:9 flag. In the case of 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9, you import with the 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 project preset, but your export of preset choice would be one with the 1920 x 1080 setting so that you will not have to depend on the player recognition of that 16:9 flag to get the end result 1920 x 1080 display.

In your case, I thought that you were working with PAL .mod widescreen. In that case, your frame size would be 720 x 576 and you would be dependent on a 16:9 flag to stretch that video to 1056 x 756 for display after encoding. So, that leads me to ask for clarification on the videos whose displays you are questioning in VLC player. What are you taking into the VLC player for comparison?

Thanks.

Best wishes

ATR

• 11. Re: Aspect ratio problem with consumer camera and Premiere Elements 11
                              St-K Level 1

Thanks again. I hope I can make myself clearer, though I'm not sure ;-) .

The camera records MOD on the card, but I use a transfer program that shipped with the camera (called Pixela Image Mixer) that transfers the MOD files to the PC. The output of that transfer is MPG, i.e., on the PC I never see MOD files in their entirely original form. Those just-out-of-camera MPGs have according to Win Explorer 720 x 576 pixels. VLC displays them with all options off at approx. 6 by 10.5 in on my 1920x1080 monitor that has about 20 x 11 in. I can check [translating] Video/Always Adjust To Window in the VLC player menu, and then the video gets blown up to almost full screen size by the player, about 18 x 11 in on the screen. At not terrible loss of quality, aspect ratio always correct. All this is without ever handling the file except transfer from camera and display.

Now when I, say, combine two of those videos with Premiere Elements to a mini-film, the result turns out smaller on the screen than the out-of-camera original. If I write output as HD720p25 (mpg), the naked result is actally smaller, about 8 in long, around which there is a grey field up to 10.5 in length, then the rest of the monitor around THIS is black.  After AdjustToWindow there remain large black bars around the video, a good inch above and below. If I write the output as MPEG21920x1080i, the resulting file is m2t and has about 15 by 8 in, can't zoom it any larger.

I wonder how that would be because I do not knowingly change resolution or reduce pixel size. Why can't VLC player blow the resulting minifilm up to full screen - or more to the point, is there anything I could do about it?

But this is getting arcane, I can see that ;-) . I've learned a lot, thank you very much for all the thinking and input.

Steve