4 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2014 3:56 PM by A.T. Romano

'Media offline' message in timeline

PCNoviceMesa

I just finished a project and successfully burned to DVD with success on TV viewing. I went back to make minor changes to the 'movie menu' and now find that a 'media offline' message appears at several locations in many languages. what happened??

thanks...

• 1. Re: 'Media offline' message in timeline
          A.T. Romano Level 7

PCNoviceMesa

Please let us review the sequence of events leading up to the "media offline" message at several locations.

Publish+Share/Disc/DVD assumed to disc NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby Digital.

What did you do next when you got the burn completed successful message? Click Done and then go to Tools/Movie Menu/ or something else?

What specific media are missing...do they represent videos, photos, other?

At any time after you got the burn complete message, did you move, delete, or rename anything that had to do with that project?

Let us start here.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: 'Media offline' message in timeline
            A.T. Romano Level 7

PCNoviceMesa

Forgot to ask, are you getting any "Where is the file.....?" message associated with those colorful Media Offline displays?

ATR

• 3. Re: 'Media offline' message in timeline
              PCNoviceMesa Level 1

Thanks for reply. NO. I am not getting ‘where is the file...?  message. I went in and made some fixes. I am confused. I thought when I ‘saved’ a project that all of the clips were ‘saved’ within that saved project, and the program was not dependent on other PC hard drive locations for project assets. I need to do more reading. I did see some threads on the forum relating to media offline so will do some homework. I burned my project and it frankly came out well. My volume was very erratic tho so on my next effort I will pay more attention to volume. Thanks to you, SG, and others for all the help.

Bob in CO

• 4. Re: 'Media offline' message in timeline
                A.T. Romano Level 7

PCNoviceMesa

The only time you are free of the hard drive save location and project connection is if you archive the project. Then you save a copies of the project.prel file and its associated media to a Copied or Trimmed Folder on the hard drive. Then you can move the hard drive saved media that is specific to that project  wherever you want. (But, be on guard that the media are not being used in several projects.)

But, if you do not archive the project, all you have are copies of the originals in Project Assets and they must trace back to originals at the orginals hard drive save location (where they were when they were first imported into the project which you just saved closed).

Please let me know if I explained that OK.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...I think that we talked about Project Archiver and its Archive Project and Copy options. But, here is the link to the Adobe document on that subject just in case.

Adobe Premiere Elements 11 * Archiving projects