2 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2014 2:03 PM by Alp Er Tunga

How to fix Refine edge Brush: selections appear muddy and refuses to add on obvious selections

net.ranger

Every time I try to use refine edge for dark hair of a subject against white background the end selection is always muddy and semi transparent.  The transparency problem I can see coming when refining the selection with the brush with overlay view because very little if any of the hairs actually become fully colored to indicate its part of the selection.  A similiar problem also happens when trying to erase areas.

Does anyone know what would cause this? 

• 1. Re: How to fix Refine edge Brush: selections appear muddy and refuses to add on obvious selections
          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Refine Edge is an amazing, game changing tool, by heck is not exactly intuitive.  I find I am getting much better results since when it was first introduced, but the thing is, I am not entirely sure why.  I have used it hundreds and hundreds of times now, and I guess all that practice has made a difference over the years. 

I do know that I use a much higher initial radius setting that ever I used to, probably starting out at a full 50%.  Then check Smart radius, and pull back the radius for best effect.  You can't use Feather or Smooth with fine hair, but can use some Contrast.  Always Check Decontaminate colors with fine hair, which automatically makes the output New layer with layer mask.  This is important.

You can use tricks like copy the BG layer and increase its contrast, and use this layer to make the selection, then with the selection made, use the same selection on the good layer.

Google Martin Evening Refine edge for a good tutorial on using it with difficult backgrounds.  You'll see why you need layer with layer mask.

• 2. Re: How to fix Refine edge Brush: selections appear muddy and refuses to add on obvious selections
            Alp Er Tunga Level 1

Maybe wrong, but I think that the name of the "erase refinements tool" should be corrected, as it is used not only for the refinements made by the refine radius tool.

For me, this name has always a confusion potential for the users.