9 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2014 1:02 PM by yadnom1973

Sending from Premier pro to After Effects

yadnom1973 Level 1

Hi It's been a long time sisce i used after effects , a few generations at least so excuse me if this is an daft question. I have a sequence in Premier Pro and I sent it to after effects for motion capture to stabilise and crop. The Composition appered in my project bin?( the bar on the left) with the little film strip symbol, and name and the project time line below is named but there is nothing in it. no clips anywhere, blank screens even a black thumb nail for the project at the top left corner. I tried bubble clicking everything dragging the compositions down. I even tried creating a new composition from the composition and this created a new timeline with the whole comp in as a clip and still all black ,nothing. What ever it is I am ment I'm sure is very simpol but it is a mystery to me. I tried watching tutorials but there footage and timeline always appears at the start and similar instruction in guides on line. What have I done wrong?

• 1. Re: Sending from Premier pro to After Effects
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try the option to import a Premiere project rather than the dynamic link way you're doing it now.

Does that work?

• 2. Re: Sending from Premier pro to After Effects
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When having a problem with a workflow simplify to the most basic step and test.

In PPro select 1 clip from the timeline and then select Create New After Effects Composition from Selection. AE should ask you to save the new project and then you should see footage and a comp in your Project panel. The comp should open with the footage in place.

If that does not work let us know. If it does, then try selecting multiple clips and doing the same thing.

BTW, both PPro and AE should be updated to the latest versions and your source video should be a standard supported production or supported acquisition format. Some formats (codecs) can be read in PPro but have problems in AE. If your video is non standard or not on the supported list, or comes from a screen capture program this may be the root of your problem.

• 3. Re: Sending from Premier pro to After Effects
              yadnom1973 Level 1

I feel so daft I'm sure it's just a setting but I cant find it, I'm having to export every clip i want to work on and then export again and reimport to PP.

Szalam: I opened AE and imported a PP project and it bought the whole thing in, all the media from my bin and all the sequences. When i drag a sequence down to the bottom a timeline as a single clip appears with all the clips inside it. This is very impressive, if I can work on this project in AE and it updates the clips and sequences in the PP then this is all I need. Do they stay in sync with one another so that if I change some thing in PP it updated the change in the AE version and vis versa?

Rick Gerard:  Opened a new PP project and  dropped a 1080 DSLR clip into the timeline, highlighted the clip, right clicked and chose "Replace with After Effects composition" I was asked to save the new AE project then AE opened up with my dynamically linked composition there in the bin but no way to play it and if i drag it anywhere it dose nothing, no timeline or composition, will not play? Such a shame it would be such a neat way to work. I'm sure it's very simple, it feels like there's some button somewhere hidden in plain sight ready to revel it or make it active or some such thing, but I can not find it.

linkte4st.PNG

• 4. Re: Sending from Premier pro to After Effects
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is there a footage later inside the call? Screenshot of the whole app window would be more helpful.

try the same thing with a short little movie that is a JPEG compressed QuickTime.

Are both AE and Premier Pro up-to-date?

• 5. Re: Sending from Premier pro to After Effects

yadnom1973 wrote:

Szalam: I opened AE and imported a PP project and it bought the whole thing in, all the media from my bin and all the sequences. When i drag a sequence down to the bottom a timeline as a single clip appears with all the clips inside it. This is very impressive, if I can work on this project in AE and it updates the clips and sequences in the PP then this is all I need. Do they stay in sync with one another so that if I change some thing in PP it updated the change in the AE version and vis versa?

If you use Dynamic Link to open your Premiere Project in AE, any changes you make in Premiere will be reflected in After Effects.

If you replace a clip with an After Effects composition in your Premiere Project, any changes you make in After Effects will be reflected in Premiere.

However, if you import a Premiere project into AE, it simply translates the project into AE terms and does not maintain a link to Premiere. You will have to render your AE comp (into a lossless, intermediate codec) and import that file into Premiere.

Dynamic link, if you use it, is always a one-way street. You can't have a two-way link.

• 6. Re: Sending from Premier pro to After Effects
                    yadnom1973 Level 1

I really thought this was a silly mistake and i was missing something simple, you guys are worrying  me

Thanks for the explanation Szalam it sound's like i really need to get this working. One way link is fine and still part of a really good work flow.

RIck Gerard,

Is there a footage later inside the call?

the call? what is the call?

Both programs are up to date.

highlight clip or clips in timeline in PP and right click and chose "Replace with After Effects composition"

window opens asking me to save an AE project

Clips go red in PP timeline

AE has the composition  listed where I show in the screen shot and all the rest is as normal. Like anyone's AE screen when opened and empty.

I can try and drag it somewhere but nothing happens.

I can double click but nothing happens.

I will make a video tomorrow but there is nothing to see just AE with nothing happening. As if you just opened it, but with a comp up in the bin and nothing else.

what is it that you are looking for?

• 8. Re: Sending from Premier pro to After Effects

I think Rick was looking for a video of your process so we could see what you might be missing, but it sounds like you're doing it right. Perhaps some firewall or antivirus is blocking the connections between the two programs. However, I would have expected that to throw up an error of some sort.

For the record, you should be able to copy from your Premiere timeline and paste into an AE timeline as well. Does this work?

You can read up on Dynamic Link and AE here: https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/dynamic-link-effects.html

• 9. Re: Sending from Premier pro to After Effects
                        yadnom1973 Level 1

All the other methods you describe work fine but do not link the media unfortunately just ship it between the two programs, I'm unsure how to copy and paste. I tried creating a new composition , positioning the playhead in the timeline then going to edit>paste but nothing happened though this could just be me not knowing AE very well. here's the exciting video: dinamiclinkout - YouTube