1 2 Previous Next 44 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2014 4:44 PM by A.T. Romano

My AVI will not import to PE12. They want to load as audio only. Using Windows 7.

txswing

My AVI files will not import to Premiere Elements 12. They want to load as audio only. Currently using Windows 7.

• 1. Re: My AVI will not import to PE12. They want to load as audio only. Using Windows 7.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

txswomg

What type of AVI are you trying to import into Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7 (presumed 64 bit)?

All avi files are not created equal. AVI is just a container/wrapper format represented by the file extension. It wraps the very important video and audio compressions. There are certain .avi files with certain video compression that can be highly problematic, such as,

AVCHD.avi

MotionJPEG.avi

Xvid.avi

DviX.avi

Whis is the brand/model/settings for the camera that recorded this .avi file?

We will be looking forward to your follow up and then decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: My AVI will not import to PE12. They want to load as audio only. Using Windows 7.
            txswing Level 1

Unsure of the AVI type. I download the videos from our church security system in either an AVI or H264 format. The AVI will play on Windows media, but I keep getting an error message in PE12 saying it needs to be loaded as audio only.

• 3. Re: My AVI will not import to PE12. They want to load as audio only. Using Windows 7.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

txswing

AVI is the container while H.264 is a possible video compression. Each file is composed of video and audio compression type with a file extension which tells us the wrapper format. If H.264.avi or AVCHD.avi is involved, that will not import into Premiere Elements (any version)

Can you download these files in any other format? If not, look for converter to convert the H.264 or AVCHD.avi to H.264 or AVCHD.mov or .mp4. You could try the following to determine if it would do the conversion job for you

HandBrake

http://handbrake.fr/

MPEGStreamclip

Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows

Please let us know the outcome and then we can plan more troubleshooting strategy if necessary.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...You may find it convenient to try the conversion to a H.264.mp4 file using the latest version of Windows Movie Maker.

Re: Problem importing AVI (H.264/MPEG-4 AVC)

Please see the above thread when this type of issue came up before not so long ago.

• 4. Re: My AVI will not import to PE12. They want to load as audio only. Using Windows 7.
                txswing Level 1

I used Koyote to convert to an MP4 and seems to work. My only concerns are 1) is there a way to merge the clips (no transition) and 2) a way to filter out duplicate screens. Our system records into several files, but purges and overlaps files by a second or two so there is no lost footage.

• 5. Re: My AVI will not import to PE12. They want to load as audio only. Using Windows 7.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

txswing

Thanks for the follow up with the news of your successful conversion of your H.264 or AVCHD.avi to a workable .mp4 format. Great job.

By merge...if you mean on the Premiere Elements Timeline, then consider selecting all the clips involved at the same time, right clicking anywhere in the selection, and then selecting Clip Menu/Group. If you are talking about merging files before import into Premiere Elements, then please check out my blog post with a step by step how to on that.

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2013/10/pe12-seamless-file-merging-before-import.html

If you mean something else, please give further details.

If you are in the Elements Organizer workspace and have your files there (all file imported directly into Premiere Elements automatically have copies in the Elements Organizer), the check out Find Menu/By Visual Searches and the decide if any of the choices work for you

• Visually similar photos and videos
                  • Objects appearing in photo
                  • Duplicate photos

Please let us know if we have targeted your questions. If not, please detail where we can supplement the information needed.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: My AVI will not import to PE12. They want to load as audio only. Using Windows 7.
                    txswing Level 1

The church video is about 100 small clips. When I import them to PE12, there is a void transition (black screen) between each clip. I was hoping the Smart Trim option might get rid of that, but it won't. The security system overlaps each clip. Again, I was hoping the Smart Trim option might have the ability to eliminate the duplicated video/audio of each clip.

• 7. Re: My AVI will not import to PE12. They want to load as audio only. Using Windows 7.
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

txswing

You could try to trim each clip in the Preview Window with its Set In Set Out points.

(Double click the file's thumbnail in Project Assets to open the Preview Window. The following may give you some insights on the Preview Window Trim Function....ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Project Assets Organization for Scene and Highlight Grabs from Collection o…

Could you post a screenshot of one of these clips to show how they are presenting on the Timeline after you drag the clip there from Project Assets? I am not sure if I am clear on "about 100 small clips" and "there is a void transition (black screen) between each clip". In one sense this is coming across as 100 small clips and then as clips part of a whole video file. I am wondering if we could introduce the Crop effect into all this (See fx Effects/Transform/Crop.)

Also, in the mix, "ability to eliminate the duplicated video/audio of each clip". Not clear on that.

Please clarify. Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: My AVI will not import to PE12. They want to load as audio only. Using Windows 7.
                        txswing Level 1

The video project I am trying to create is 1 video, but contains approx 100 clips that I need to combine into 1 large video file. What I need to know is:

1) is it possible to delete a transition between two clips your program installed, rather than create one? Does the program have the capability to recognize dead space between two clips and "merge" than rather transitioning them, eliminating the transition between the two? Does it have the capability to do this over the entire project (such as Smart Trim) where I don't have to go through every clip and delete the black screen that appears when going from one clip to the next?

2) some of the video clips overlap due to the security system functions to allow the system to record and store at the same time. The down fall is at the beginning of one clip, it may duplicate the last 2 or 3 seconds of the previous clip.

• 9. Re: My AVI will not import to PE12. They want to load as audio only. Using Windows 7.
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

txswing

I am hoping that I have some great news for you.

The first impression that I got when looking at the screenshot was the you probably do not have the correct project settings. Let us try the quick way to know if I am going in the correct thought on this.

1. In Expert workspace Project Assets, right cick the thumbnail for the imported .mp4 convert, select Properties, and then let us know what it shows for frame size, frame rate, pixel aspect ratio.

2. Go to Expert workspace Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and tell us what it shows for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Rate, and Pixel Aspect Ratio even if the fields appear to be grayed out.

If what I suspect is correct, changing the project settings manually to match the properties of your source media should correct the problem.

We will be watching for your further details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: My AVI will not import to PE12. They want to load as audio only. Using Windows 7.
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

txswing

I think I am on the right track here. You have a bad mismatch between the properties of that .mp4 file and the project setting. And, you present with a file (352 x 288 pixels @ 25 frames per second) for which Premiere Elements does not have a project preset. Where did you get the Project Settings that you show....1280 x 720 @ the NTSC frame rate of 29.97 frames per second?

The project preset should be set by you or the program to match the properties of the source video in order to direct the program to set up the correct space in the Edit area monitor for editing purposes.

I am more convinced than ever that any solution will come via the project settings. But, we need to put the details forward so that we can figure out how to maneuver around them.

1. I think that it is time for a properties readout on the original .avi file that you used to created the conversion product, .mp4 file. For that download and install MediaInfo (Tree View) to tell us for the .avi

especially

Video Compression

Audio Compression

Frame Size

Frame Rate

Pixel Aspect Ratio

http://download.cnet.com/MediaInfo/3000-2169_4-10413046.html

Be careful for unwanted carry alongs with the MediaInfo.

2. Where did you get the settings for the conversion of this .avi to an .mp4 format which you are presenting as

352 x 288 @ 25 frames per second.

What is your required frame rate NTSC 29.97 or PAL 25?

3. One technique which we might explore after the above is clicking on the monitor to bring up the image's bounding box, and scaling the image to fill the monitor space with or without the Default Scale to Frame Size enabled under Edit Menu/Preferences/General.

We may be able to get things going in the right direction if you went off on your conversion settings. The original .avi properties should give us answers with which to work.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: My AVI will not import to PE12. They want to load as audio only. Using Windows 7.
                              txswing Level 1

Here is an original AVI property:

Here is the modified properties of the mp4"

2. The setting should be NTCS since it is an American setting (opposed to PAL). I think the video camera on the security system is set to 30fps.

I am currently having better luck with using AVS, but I still have to manually go in and remove the 2 second duplicated video, but their program allows the 100 clips to merge without transitions.

• 13. Re: My AVI will not import to PE12. They want to load as audio only. Using Windows 7.
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

txswing

The black the you are seeing in the frame is due to the mismatch between project preset and source video.

Were you able to download and install MediaInfo to get the properties readouts? If not that, what about the utility GSpot to get the Video Name Codec and Status and other data.

Super Quick Start

It is important to get good basic information on which to build to a solution. When you do the GSpot readout, please do it for the .avi as well as the .mp4. That conversion is definitely going to have to be redone but only after we get firmer starting data.

Thanks for your continuing follow up.

ATR

• 14. Re: My AVI will not import to PE12. They want to load as audio only. Using Windows 7.
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

txswing

Just an add on...please try to get the full information that is obtainable from MediaInfo and GSpot. The source video properties that you show are helpful but incomplete.

Thanks.

ATR

• 17. Re: My AVI will not import to PE12. They want to load as audio only. Using Windows 7.
                                    txswing Level 1

I know H264 will not import. That is why it was converted to a mp4 as previously suggested, but still having problems.

• 18. Re: My AVI will not import to PE12. They want to load as audio only. Using Windows 7.
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

twswing

Just a reminder to those reading your thread...at the onset I wrote

There are certain .avi files with certain video compression that can be highly problematic, such as,

AVCHD.avi

And, we have been pursuing that line of troubleshooting by use of the conversion of the AVCHD.avi to an .mp4 file. Right now, the issue is not which method, but getting the export settings of the conversion method correct. It would appear that your conversion settings with Koyote got away from you, especially with the frame size and frame rate.

We need to get an import whose properties match the Premiere Elements project settings, set by you or the project. Right now I am suggesting that you set the project setting manually yourself before you import your converted file, as per the how to toward the bottom of the following.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Accuracy of Automatic Project Preset (New Project Dialog) Setting

But, first the conversion...by whatever method you select, I am suggesting the following H.264.mp4 as a 4:3 file.

Go back to the AVCHD (H.264).avi and convert it to H.264.mp4.

Let us target for

Frame Width 640 pixels

Frame Height 480 pixels

Frame Rate 29.97 frames per second

Pixel Aspect Ratio 1.0.  (also known as Square Pixels)

Then open Premiere Elements to the Expert workspace File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings.

Change the project preset to

NTSC

FLIP

Flip Mino and Ultra 29_97p

Do not forget the check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space" as you exit the new project dialog.

Then import your converted H.264.mp4 file into Premiere Elements with Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag the file to the Timeline. There should be no black borders anywhere.

Does Koyote conversion offer the settings that I mentioned. If not, we can discuss using HandBrake which I thought might be easier and quicker to use.

Please review and then let us decide if we are on course.

Thanks.

ATR

• 19. Re: My AVI will not import to PE12. They want to load as audio only. Using Windows 7.
                                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

txswing wrote:

I know H264 will not import. That is why it was converted to a mp4 as previously suggested, but still having problems.

I responded to your posting of a screen shot showing h.264 in an avi wrapper

• 20. Re: My AVI will not import to PE12. They want to load as audio only. Using Windows 7.
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

txswing

Posting a just in case HandBrake how to...lots of ways to approach this...but let us prove by the suggested paths that the project needs attention in the area of the conversion and Premiere Elements settings....

Download and install HandBrake

http://handbrake.fr/

In the HandBrake workspace

Go to "Source"/Open File at the top left of the workspace. Import your AVCHD.avi file (for that matter see if it imports...if not, so much for HandBrake)

In that area, where it says "Chapters", I typically change "Chapters" to "seconds".

Destination...browse to and select the save location for the converted file, name accordingly.

In the Picture Tab

Make sure you are set

Widith 640

Height 480

Put Anamorphic = None

In the Video Tab

Video codec = H.264 (x264)

Framerate = 29.97

and dot "Constant" for the Framerate.

Then click on the Start Button at the top left of the workspace and wait until you see "Queue Finished" in the progress bar at the bottom left of the workspace. It is done. You have your converted H.264.mp4.

Then import this H.264.mp4 into the Premiere Elements NTSC FLIP project, manually set as described in the prior post.

Looking forward to your results. Please do not hesitate to stop and ask if you have a question about anything in the process.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On..I do not have an AVCHD.avi file to carry this through the conversion otherwise I would have road tested this for you.

• 21. Re: My AVI will not import to PE12. They want to load as audio only. Using Windows 7.
                                            txswing Level 1

Those settings worked...for the black screen in between clips. Now any suggestion on how to get rid of the duplicate video segment? The first 2 seconds of some video clips duplicate from some of the previous clips. If they do not duplicate, I get a pop from one clip to the next, like white noise from a 45 record.

• 22. Re: My AVI will not import to PE12. They want to load as audio only. Using Windows 7.
                                              txswing Level 1

I have set all the settings as you suggested, but it will not Save a destination. I have tried two different locations and nothing happens.

• 23. Re: My AVI will not import to PE12. They want to load as audio only. Using Windows 7.
                                                txswing Level 1

When I input the destination, I click Save and nothing happens. It will not let me save any destination. If I hit Start without a destination, it prompts me to enter a destination, but won't let me.

• 24. Re: My AVI will not import to PE12. They want to load as audio only. Using Windows 7.
                                                  txswing Level 1

Got it to save to a destination. When I try to import to PE12, it shows the 1hr and 3 minutes are there, but the video project is not there in its entirety. Tried it twice.

• 25. Re: My AVI will not import to PE12. They want to load as audio only. Using Windows 7.
                                                    txswing Level 1

It is not 1hr and 3 minutes showing like it should. It is actually only saving 1 minute and 3 seconds out of a video that should be 1hr and 3 minutes.

• 26. Re: My AVI will not import to PE12. They want to load as audio only. Using Windows 7.
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

twxwing

Sounds like progress, but I just need to be sure that we are in sync on the information.

In post 21, you wrote

Those settings worked...for the black screen in between clips.

Were those settings in Koyote and not HandBrake at that point?

In post 21, you also wrote

how to get rid of the duplicate video segment? The first 2 seconds of some video clips duplicate from some of the previous clips. If they do not duplicate, I get a pop from one clip to the next, like white noise from a 45 record.

At this time I am not sure what that is all about, but

a. Can you highlight/select the clip on the Timeline and use the scissors tab on the stem of the Timeline Indicator to cut out that portion of the clip? Or, before you drag the file to the Timeline from Project Assets, can you double click the thumbnail of the file in Project Assets to open the Preview Window where you can trim off whatever you want from the clip using the Preview Windows Set In Set Out points.

You can get some ideas about the workings of the Preview Windows from the following

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Project Assets Organization for Scene and Highlight Grabs from Collection o…

By the time we get to your posts 22 and 23, are you referring to HandBrake?

If so, have you filled in a name for the file in the Save As dialog before clicking the Save button in that dialog?

Please review and then we can decide what next.

Thanks for the follow ups. Much appreciated.

ATR

• 27. Re: My AVI will not import to PE12. They want to load as audio only. Using Windows 7.
                                                        txswing Level 1

Yes, using AVSforYou the black space between the clips was eliminated with the conversion settings. Yes, the 2 seconds of the video was still duplicated with both AVS and PE12.

Using Handbrake, I cannot get the entire project to import to PE12. I am only getting 1/10 of the project.

I am aware that I can sit and cut 110 video clips individually in both AVS and PE12, but I was trying to see if there was a perimeter setting or an option in PE12/Smart Trim that would auto detect the duplicate to save me about 4 hours of editing.

• 28. Re: My AVI will not import to PE12. They want to load as audio only. Using Windows 7.
                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

twswing

Thanks for the update. Let us put aside the HandBrake. It may be having a problem with that AVCHD.avi format in spite of its claims to handle most formats. You seem to have a winner in the AVS.

I cannot give you a guarantee about Smart Trim and auto detect the duplicate to save you editing times, but have you been working with

Right clicking the clip after applying Smart Trim, and going through the drop down menu

Trim

Keep

Select All

Smart Trim Options

.......Quality Level

.......Interest Level

.......Mode

............Manual

............Automatic

I think that your answer is going to come by way of Project Assets double click of file there to bring up the Preview Windows and trimming clips there. But, see if this video tutorial on Premiere Elements Smart Trim helps.

Smart Trim | Premiere Elements 11 Feature Tour | Adobe TV

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

• 29. Re: My AVI will not import to PE12. They want to load as audio only. Using Windows 7.
                                                            txswing Level 1

I appreciate the help. I just hate going through all the trouble of fixing/troubleshooting the settings, only for me to turn around and have to cut every clip. I could just as easy leave the settings and cut the black screen and the duplicate frames at the same time. It makes me sad that I spent the money on PE12, just to use AVS without issues or need to change settings.

• 30. Re: My AVI will not import to PE12. They want to load as audio only. Using Windows 7.
                                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

txswing

You have run into many problems starting with the AVCHD.avi source that is not compatible with Premiere Elements. We overcame that with conversion to a .mp4 file with the appropriate conversion method settings and subsequently using the .mp4 in Premiere Elements with the correct project preset. That left us with a file that imports into Premiere Elements and which is displayed in the program without black borders.

The hang up now seems to be certain edges on the clips. I am not clear on their origin, presumed artifacts of the download? I see no automatic cleaning up of the files. Is it possible that there is a flaw in the download process that you can correct with the people supplying you the content via download?

Since I am not sure what these file irregularies are, would it be worthwhile for you to post one of these clips so that I can take a first hand look at one of these AVCHD.avi? I have seen this type of exchange done by posting in the thread a Dropbox link to a download of a file.

As for your regrets in purchasing Premiere Elements...whatever your decisions moving forward, please go the tryout before purchase route to assure compatibility of the program with your computer environment and the compatibility of your source with the program.

If you have purchased Premiere Elements 12 from Adobe within the last 30 days, you can go after a refund. To do that, click on the link below, and, when it opens, click on the statement "Still Need Help? Contact Use." to bring up the Adobe Chat to discuss the topic Orders, Refunds, and Exchanges.

Contact Customer Care

Please review the above and let us know how you wish to proceed.

Thank you.

ATR

• 31. Re: My AVI will not import to PE12. They want to load as audio only. Using Windows 7.
                                                                txswing Level 1

I tried the Smart Trim. Funny thing is, it is selecting sections that are "shaky", but the camera is hard mounted into one of the header board inside the church, and cannot shake. Trying it manually seems aggravating and overly sensitive. Whenever I delete a duplicate section, I now get a pop sound moving from clip to clip. Luckily, the security company that supplied me with the DVR for the security system gave me a couple settings to change to allow the video to be on two large clips, rather than 100+ small clips. That will only effect the future records, not the ones I need to edit now.

• 32. Re: My AVI will not import to PE12. They want to load as audio only. Using Windows 7.
                                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

txswing

The download into two large clips sounds like an answer for you, but, before you get too heavily involved in that possible choice, determine if any of the flaws in the 100+ small clips presents in the two large clips.

I am still not clear on the nature of these flaws that you see in the 100+ small clips, but maybe this might be a solution....

Given that you now have your images filling the Edit area monitor space set up according to the correction project preset....

Is it at all applicable to this situation to

a. side by side the clips on the Timeline

b. go to the first and scale it so that you can see the edge flaws disappear in the Edit area monitor view

c. when that is complete, right click that first "adjusted" clip, select Copy.

d. select all the rest of the clips (altogether), right click anywhere in the selection, and select Paste Effects and Adjustments.

If I have an incorrect perspective on those clip flaws, could you show one in a screenshot. The only screenshot that you posted appears to be displaying the black borders which we took care of with correct project settings.

Thanks.

ATR

• 33. Re: My AVI will not import to PE12. They want to load as audio only. Using Windows 7.
                                                                    txswing Level 1

The IT department for the security company says I may have to edit where the 2 clips join. Of course, editing one clip is far faster than 100+ clips. I could put everything on the timeline and "adjust" all the clips by pasting effects, but it does not happen on every clip. I guess only way to do it is manually until PE12 sets a perimeter to where it will detect duplicate video (possibly by the visible counter present). Every time I try to cut a portion in PE12, it winds up cutting another frame. Once I jack with it long enough, PE12 inserts a "pop" to where the two clips were modified to eliminate the overlapping video.

• 34. Re: My AVI will not import to PE12. They want to load as audio only. Using Windows 7.
                                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

txswing

Thanks for the update.

When you are doing your frame cuts, do you have the Timeline expanded with the -+ sliders above the Timeline.

And, you can change the Timeline display from the Timecode represenation to Frames.

a. Hold down the Ctrl key and click on the Timecode above the Timeline. The 00;00;00;00 should change to frames 0 and onward.

b. Or, go to Edit Menu/Project Settings/Display Format and set for Frames.

ATR

• 35. Re: My AVI will not import to PE12. They want to load as audio only. Using Windows 7.
                                                                        txswing Level 1

Ok. I think I am getting the hang of the cutting clips. The pop that I hear between clips is shown on the timeline has a muted space, just before the start of clip 28.

• 36. Re: My AVI will not import to PE12. They want to load as audio only. Using Windows 7.
                                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

txswing

Sounds like you are making progress. Yet I am forced to ask "What are those black borders doing in that image on screen? I thought that we had that behind us.

I do not see adjusting that audio clip to clip situation other than on one at a time basis.

Are you avoiding any out of sync audio with your clip cuts? Have you tried inceasing the Audio Gain of one of the clips in the pair?

ATR

• 37. Re: My AVI will not import to PE12. They want to load as audio only. Using Windows 7.
                                                                            txswing Level 1

I thought the black borders were behind us as well. Not sure why they are there.

I am cutting the video and audio at the time to prevent it from going out of sync.

• 38. Re: My AVI will not import to PE12. They want to load as audio only. Using Windows 7.
                                                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

txswing

Please check out Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, Pixel Aspect Ratio readings to determine if they have changed, suggesting that the project preset was not set as we had discussed.

Also, look at the properties of the current videos to make sure that you were not given a new batch with different properties that what you had before.

Thanks.

ATR

• 39. Re: My AVI will not import to PE12. They want to load as audio only. Using Windows 7.
                                                                                txswing Level 1

Everything was still the same. I don't think the black bars on the side ever disappeared, only the black screens between clips.

1 2 Previous Next