2 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2014 9:53 AM by Rick Gerard

do i need a third ssd for media files?

kandiimann

hi. im getting a laptop for AE, im getting a 500GB SSD for OS and applications and cache, and a 1 terabyte 7200rpm HDD for everything else, someone recommended i get a SSD for media but someone else told me it wasnt necessary, would doing so speed up my RAM previews and everything else or just the amount of time it takes to import files to AE?

• 1. Re: do i need a third ssd for media files?
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

The best thing you can have for nice RAM Previews is.... well, RAM.  How much do you have?   Although an SSD isn't absolutely necessary, the faster read/write times may help speed up CREATING your RAM Previews a little -- not the actual playback, but the creation.  But since SSD's are pricey, you have to balance an SSD's cost against a tiny little speed increase. 

• 2. Re: do i need a third ssd for media files?
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I find that hybrid drives work very well for cache and as a target for rendering. SSD is nice too but pretty expensive for the speed gain you get.

How experienced are you with AE. Renders are slow, even slower if you have a bunch of effects, even slower if you have a bunch of temporal effects. For the latter, a really fast HD isn't going to make much of a difference because most of the render time is the CPU crunching numbers.