21 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2014 2:20 PM by A.T. Romano

Screen and System freeze since PSE/Premiere 12 bundle install, why?

SigiPC Level 1

After installing PSE/Premiere Elements 12 Bundle my screen and system may freeze even if premiere elements is not running. The only way to get going again is to force system shut down by way of power button. This problem happens only since installing  the Bundle. The screens/system freeze usually occurs while the screen saver is running (in action). Any one out there to help?

• 1. Re: Screen and System freeze since PSE/Premiere 12 bundle install, why?
          Premiere Pro cc6

version 12 has an internal program error in it that they have not fixed yet. it will get to 98% encoding and stop every time. don't waste your time with it.

• 2. Re: Screen and System freeze since PSE/Premiere 12 bundle install, why?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

sigipc

Problems with the same symptoms can (often do) have different causes. There is no internal program error related to 98% encoding stoppage that I have run into with version 12 or its 12.1 Update on Windows XP 32 bit, Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit. Reports to the contrary  are meaningless without details and customized troubleshooting.

System freezes when Premiere Elements is not even open and running suggests that your system probably has a resource issue. But that needs to be explored. Please describe your computer environment

Operating system 32 or 64 bit

Installed RAM and Available RAM

Source of Hard Drive Space, how much available (internal and external)

Did you use the default location to which to install Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements?

What screensaver are you using?  Have you looked at disabling the screensaver? Here is one example of the how to since I do not know what computer operating system is involved here

Turn your screen saver on or off - Microsoft Windows Help

If you do turn off the screen saver, is the system freezing gone?

Please review and consider. We will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Screen and System freeze since PSE/Premiere 12 bundle install, why?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

That ridiculous, TV11! The program works fine for millions of thousands of people around the world!

sigipic, you'll need to provide us a lot more information if you want to troubleshoot this problem.

What operating system  are you working on? If you have Windows, is Microsoft Updates turned on? Have you manually gone to Windows Update to ensure you have even the optional updates (many of these are critical)? Have you ensured you have the latest version of Quicktime and have you downloaded the latest graphics drivers from the nVidia or ATI web sites?

Have you ensured that you only have the 64-bit version of the program installed if you have a 64-bit operating system?

What antivirus program are you running? Norton 360 is notorious for conflicting with programs like Premiere and Photoshop Elements.

Have you gone to Premiere Elements' Help/Check for Updates to ensure you have the latest fixes for Premiere Elements?

What processor are you running and with how much RAM? How much free, clean, freshly defragmented space is on your main or C drive?

• 4. Re: Screen and System freeze since PSE/Premiere 12 bundle install, why?
                Premiere Pro cc6 Level 1

I rang Adobe and they told me of the problem at 98%, encoding. They told me they have no fix for it yet, they told me if they find a fix for it they will notify me. Im only going by my trying to burn DVDs and what Adobe said. Id like to know that it does work, I don’t use a screen saver and  have no other programs besides, quicktime on this particular computer. It is purely for burning DVDs with Premiere Elements.

• 5. Re: Screen and System freeze since PSE/Premiere 12 bundle install, why?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Trial version 11

Thanks for the reply and background information on your situation. I would like to work with you on trying to resolve your issue. I do not give up on Premiere Elements issues easily if at all. But I do not think it fair to sigipc to continue your issue in sigipc's thread. We cannot depend on the details matching, and it get confusing for all trying to match questions to replies with two different users.

Think about it. I would be glad for the opportunity to work with you through all the details of your situation. This is not Adobe, rather a user to user forum. But, you would need the time to follow up with the Q&A.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Screen and System freeze since PSE/Premiere 12 bundle install, why?
                    Premiere Pro cc6 Level 1

I have just reformatted my D drive, the drive that I save to, it had lots of adobe folders in it and I asked Adobe if I could get rid of them because my D drive was nearly full and considering it only had premiere elements and quicktime, and a few misic files , it was just growing bigger and bigger. So then I tried a 45min movie clip and it worked. Only problem is I didn’t set up settings as what to burn it as, so ive gone back, new file, changed the settings and am now trying to burn the 3 movie clips together that my client wants. Why in version 12 does it take so much longer to encode than in previous versions. Also do you know how many stop starts you can have in main menus. In version 9 and 10 you could only have 25 starts & stop markers total.

Sam

• 7. Re: Screen and System freeze since PSE/Premiere 12 bundle install, why?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Sam

Thanks for the reply. Great news and great work on your progress.

Good news about the menu marker situation in Premiere Elements 12.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: Menu Marker Limitation/Implementation Update

You can have max 99 menu markers (any combination of main markers and scene markers). The stop markers do not seem to factor into the count. But, major caution, never place a stop marker at the end of the last item of the Timeline content. That is a 99.999999% cause of burn to disc failures.

And remember, Premiere Elements (any version), stop markers are not recognized in the playback of the Premiere Elements burn to Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc.

Continued success with your projects.

Best wishes

ATR

• 8. Re: Screen and System freeze since PSE/Premiere 12 bundle install, why?
                        Premiere Pro cc6 Level 1

Thanks for the info, but why does version 12 encoding take so long, twice as long as previous versions.

• 9. Re: Screen and System freeze since PSE/Premiere 12 bundle install, why?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Trial version 11

I have not found that to be the case with Premiere Elements 12 which I have on Windows 7 as well as Windows 8.1 computer.

Do you still have any of the prior versions still installed so that you can do a one on one comparison between the 12 encoding time vs the encoding time of earlier versions. The stages are usually encoding menu 1 of 2, 2 of 2, encoding media, compiling media, and burn. Is it the overall time for all these processes to which you refer or one particular phase?

If you just have 12 installed at this time, maybe we could explore this matter this way. I have versions 4 through 12 installed on Windows 7 64 bit. If you give me the description of your Timeline content that is taking so long to encode, I will build a Timeline with the same type of content and export it with your settings on 12 and earlier version(s).

ATR

• 10. Re: Screen and System freeze since PSE/Premiere 12 bundle install, why?
                            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Once again, I see that ATR has taken over this discussion. So I'll step back and let the two of you work out this issue.

• 11. Re: Screen and System freeze since PSE/Premiere 12 bundle install, why?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

Please review that thread sequence. I have not "Once again,....taken over this discussion." I was the first responder to this thread and as such followed up on that in what seems to be a productive and reasonable matter. None of that should prohibit you or others from posting if you have a contribution to make to the discussion.

In all fairness to sigipc, if Trial version 11 troubleshooting goes much beyond my latest suggestion, I will be suggesting the Trial version 11 start a new thread so that none of us lose focus on sigipc's problem which originated this thread.

ATR

• 13. Re: Screen and System freeze since PSE/Premiere 12 bundle install, why?
                                SigiPC Level 1

Hi all (ATR, Sam and Steve - note alphabetical order),

looks like I hit a wasps nest? The intention was not to start a fight. Following are some clarifying points (sorry I did not do this before):

I am running on Mac Pro  8 GB RAM plenty of storage and 2x 2.8 GHz Quad-Cofre Intel Xeon.

Installed is 64 bit Premiere Elements and Photoshop Elements 12 Bundle. So there is no (or very unlikely) a resource problem.

I was on Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 before (but did not have Premiere) and had no problems.

To have to shut down the screen saver to overcome the problem sounds counter productive.

A screen/system freeze should not happen:

1. OS X 10.9.3 (the OS I'm running should not let it happen and rather throw out -abort- the culprit).

2. Adobe Premiere Elements 12 -if it is the cause and it looks like it is since it only happens since installing the Adobe software- should not mess around in the OS software.

Be that as is - it does happen.

It would be nice if we could have an open minded discussion about this and in fact Adobe should take part in it because they are the people making money on the sales.

After all, Adobe charges Australian users nearly twice the money for their software as compared to the US.

I'm looking forward to your replies.

sigipc

• 14. Re: Screen and System freeze since PSE/Premiere 12 bundle install, why?
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

SigiPC

This is not Adobe. This is a user to user forum. You have reached users who want to coordinate to help you with the best information possible to help you succeed. Any other interpretation of what you thought you read is mistaken.

If you need to contact Adobe, please click on the following link, and, when it opens, click on the statement "Still need help? Contact us." to bring up the Adobe Chat on the topic of "Downloading, Installing, and Setting Up".

Contact Customer Care

This may be your best and quickest route to an answer to your Premiere Elements 12 Mac issue. This type of contact has been known to offer at times remote control of your computer to target the cause of the problem. I am not sure how Adobe handles that depending on the country involved.

You wrote

To have to shut down the screen saver to overcome the problem sounds counter productive.

Nonetheless, for troubleshooting purposes, can you confirm or not that shutting down the screen saver results in the problem disappearing? And what particular screen saver is involved? If you go to another screen saver, does the problem disappear?

I am strictly an Elements Windows user. It is SG who is the Elements Mac user. So you should be covered from all sides - Premiere Elements operations common to Windows and Mac, Premiere Elements Mac specifics, and Adobe.Chat.

Thanks for offering details to help all of us help you.

ATR

• 15. Re: Screen and System freeze since PSE/Premiere 12 bundle install, why?
                                    Premiere Pro cc6 Level 1

Tried a larger file , 3 hours 20 mins on a dual layered disc and it stopped at 98% again, it seems to only like small files like 45 mins on a single layered disc, so back on the phone to adobe

• 16. Re: Screen and System freeze since PSE/Premiere 12 bundle install, why?
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Trial version 11

I think that we need to exchange details on your computer resources and these files that you are trying to burn to disc DVD. That DVD 4.7 GB/120 minutes in reality is 4.38 GB and that DVD 8.5 GB/240 minutes is in reality 7.95 GB. Your 3 hours and 20 minutes try with the 8.5 GB/240 minutes disc may have been pushing the limits with your 200 minutes. Did you work with a check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space"?

It would be important to know what the burn dialog's Quality Area showed for Space Required and Bitrate when you used the DVD 4.7 GB/120 minutes and when you used the DVD 8.5 GB/240 minutes, and, if you had a check mark next to Fit Content to Available Space.

Another throught might be to see if you can burn to Folder (4.7 GB) and to Folder (8.5 GB) whereas you are running into problems with the burn to disc counterparts.

Think about this. Gather your information, call Adobe if that is your plan. If all is then resolved great. But if not, please start a new thread of your own so that we can use the new thread to focus on your issue which is going in a different direction than the originator of this thread that we are in now.

I will be looking for your new thread. I believe we can work through the details to a successful conclusion.

Best wishes

ATR

• 17. Re: Screen and System freeze since PSE/Premiere 12 bundle install, why?
                                        Premiere Pro cc6 Level 1

Any support for version 12 premiere elements would be greatfully accepted thanks. On version 12 I can burn a small file ie 1 hour 40 mins, but when I try to burn a bigger file ie 3 hours 20 mins it stops encoding at 98% everytime. I rang adobe and they said it is an error and hasn’t been fixed but this other guy im talking to says he has been using it fine. He has given me some suggestions but more would be greatfully accepted. I am a small business that has about 20 customers waiting . and they hav e big files

Thanks, Sam

• 18. Re: Screen and System freeze since PSE/Premiere 12 bundle install, why?
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Sam

Please start your new thread, and I will get to work with you on this in the morning.

Right now it is about 12:30 am where I am. So need to call it a day.

Thanks.

ATR

• 19. Re: Screen and System freeze since PSE/Premiere 12 bundle install, why?
                                            Premiere Pro cc6 Level 1

So far on a 2 hour 48min file it has taken 1 hour and 51 mins to get to 70 % encoding

• 20. Re: Screen and System freeze since PSE/Premiere 12 bundle install, why?
                                              Premiere Pro cc6 Level 1

It took 2 hours and 40 mins to get to 98% where it failed to go on to burn. Same thing all the time. Why so long to encode, when version 11 & 10 encode a 3 -4 hour file in about 45mins. I have upgraded my video card file as adobe instructed to do so but same thing.

Sam

• 21. Re: Screen and System freeze since PSE/Premiere 12 bundle install, why?
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Sam

I was watching for your follow up in your new own thread. Please try to get to that as soon as possible I have a lot to share with you on the burn to disc situation. I burned the same content 2 hour Timeline in Premiere Elements 11 and 12 and got a much longer burn time in 12 than 11. I need to repeat to verify. But here is the breakdown

DVD-R 4.7 GB/120 minutes (Space Required 4.38 GB Bitrate 4.55 Mbps with Fit Content to Available Space)

Premiere Elements 11 - 2 hour 4 minutes Timeline

Encoding Media to start of Burning = 1 hour and 20 minutes

Burning = 14 minutes

Premiere Elements 12 - same content 2 hour 4 minutes Timeline

Encoding Media to start of Burning = 3 hours and 24 minutes

Burning = 29 minutes

In this instance, there is too much on the discuss (See bitrate way less than 8.00 Mbps and the quality implications to the end product.) The good news is that the burn to in each case went to successful complettion, but with a bit of a glitch in the case of version 11 in spite of its shorter burn to time.

More later.

ATR