12 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2014 3:26 PM by JJMack

How can I remove tranpsparency from stroke effect and other layers.

jackmove

I'm creating T-shirt designs which only allow for up to 6 colors.

I wanted to add black outlines to my layers.

When I add a black stroke to a layer the edges of corners are slightly transparent. Then I add this layer on top of a grey layer. This causes individual pixels to be lots of different shades of grey. Hence my black outline is more than 6 colors on its own. 

My question is, : Is there a way to make the stroke without any transparency around the edges of corners. Make stroke 100% opaque.

If not is there an easy  way to take a layer and remove any transparency so when I put it on top of the other layers it causes no color changes. Basically make a layer 100% opaque.

I've attached a pic of the image I'm working on. You can see how the corners are many shades of grey instead of just black.

Thanks in advance for any help.

corners.JPG

• 1. Re: How can I remove tranpsparency from stroke effect and other layers.
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

It has to do with how a stroke is expanded and the alignment.  The stroke for shape Path is quite flexible and offers several corners and lines types.  Hera I just stroked a simple rectangle selection  wirg a 20px wide stroke.  First aligned inside second centered  third outside note the corners

Capture.jpg

Capture.jpg

Note option available for shape paths strokes

Capture.jpg

Rounded Rectangle shape stroke inside centered and outside

Capture.jpg

• 2. Re: How can I remove tranpsparency from stroke effect and other layers.
            jackmove Level 1

Awesome. How and where exactly do I get to these settings and what do I do to make them like you have with opaque crisp corners/edges.

Thanks

• 3. Re: How can I remove tranpsparency from stroke effect and other layers.
              Dsarchy Level 3

Wrong tool. For T-Shirt Design you are going to want to work in vector. Your lines are going to be anti aliased and if you try to scale them they will blur. Not to mention path tools in Illustrator are both easier to work with and more powerful.

• 4. Re: How can I remove tranpsparency from stroke effect and other layers.

jackmove wrote:

Awesome. How and where exactly do I get to these settings and what do I do to make them like you have with opaque crisp corners/edges.

Thanks

What did you not understand?  Strokes or Shapes?

• 5. Re: How can I remove tranpsparency from stroke effect and other layers.
                  jackmove Level 1

Its not that I don,t understand what you,re saying. Its just that I don,t know where to find the things you're talking about. Just how exactly do I get to these settings. Where are they under and what do I press. I see your pic of stroke settings but I am not sure where to find them. Once I find them is there a specific certain combination of settings you used to get these solid edges?  I don't mean to sound like an idiot. But I searched for stroke settings for like 45 minutes before I posted this question in the forum. The only place I could find to edit them was in the effects panel on each layer. Also I cant find any "shapes" settings.  I see from your pic that there is a place to edit these settings but without knowing exactly where to find it I'm just back to searching blindly. So anything specific would be awesome.

Thanks so much for your help.

• 6. Re: How can I remove tranpsparency from stroke effect and other layers.

One does not learn Photoshop in a single sitting. Adobe does not put something like stroke is a single place.  You also need to learn to use your eyes better and try to understand what you read better.  Adobe put things like strokes in places where stroking make sense.   You can strokes selection, paths, layers, shapes etc. So there are stroke interfaces all over Photoshop UI.  In Menu Edit, In the tools option bar when shape tools are selected, In the Path palette and right click pop-up menu on paths,  In the layer style dialog.  I even posted a screen capture showing the enhances option in the tools option bar for shape support. There seems to be something wrong with you vision and reading.  You should not feel like an idiot you need to strengthen you vision and reading. Hell I can't even type yet I try. Learn to count on your eyes not mine.

• 7. Re: How can I remove tranpsparency from stroke effect and other layers.
                      jackmove Level 1

AHA!... After some Googling, I found the location of the shape paths you were talking about and the stroke settings.  But unfortunately I am unable to recreate the crisp images that you have there in the above pics. I created a rectangle and added just a straight line inside stroke and also an outside stroke. Here are the results I got. The top rectangle has inside stroke. If you zoom in you'll notice it caused a different shade of grey on inside of stroke. The bottom rectangle I switched to Outside stroke. If zoomed in, you'll notice it caused a different shade of grey on outside of rectangle. But when i zoom in on your pic there is no blurred edge and your lines are crisp and opaque. Is this because you are using no color? or same color as background? Sorry to be a bother.

Is there something I am not doing correctly or is there a certain combo of settings you used to get your shapes' strokes to have those crisp edges? Are you using a custom stroke? Again thank you sooo much for your help. edges.JPG

• 8. Re: How can I remove tranpsparency from stroke effect and other layers.
                        jackmove Level 1

Ok so I even tried to use no color on a white background like you have and as you can see it still has a transparent inside or outside. I notice that in your pic the little stroke settings box looks different than any setting I have. Here is a pic of my settings. Notice on top how the stroke box is all filled in. But on your pic its shows kind of a red outlined box. I opened that setting but didnt have one that looked like yours. Is this a custom setting? If so is there a way to recreate or share such a setting? I'm not sure what else to do....:( outlineedges.JPG

• 9. Re: How can I remove tranpsparency from stroke effect and other layers.
                          jackmove Level 1

Not sure why you had to resort to rude abusive comments about my vision. It would have been much simpler to just write "To locate Shapes, click on the little rectangle over on the left side of screen" "Then click on the stroke box to edit settings"  Which is what I found when I googled it and searched through a few sites. I am new to Photoshop and just didn't know where to find the things you were talking about. Which is why I simply asked where they were located. Not sure why this upset you so much. There is absolutely no reason for you to respond rudely and to insult me. I have been nothing but thankful and respectful to you.

• 10. Re: How can I remove tranpsparency from stroke effect and other layers.

The image at least the one on top is zoomed 500%..  Any time your viewing at other then 100% zoom your not viewing the image actual pixels.  Your viewing a scaled image image that Photoshop quickly generated not one that was carefully done using a high quality interpolation method like Bicubic Smoother.  Your display's resolution if a desktop display has a low 100PPI resolution that also does not help sharpness.  View actual pixels......

• 11. Re: How can I remove tranpsparency from stroke effect and other layers.
                              jackmove Level 1

I respectfully have to disagree. When i zoom your image to 400% there is no blur or color variation. When i test with eyedropper It is simply black(000000) and white(ffffff) . As you can see in this pic of your picture zoomed in to 400%. hisimage.JPG

But then my image is now only zoomed to 200% and you can see if you look closely or test with photoshop eyedroppper that it has a slightly transparent inner line that contains 5 different colors : 696969 , 000000, ffffff, 666666 & 2a2a2a.

myimage.JPG

I'm not concerned with how it looks to the naked eye but how many colors the image actually contains.

Your stroke setting is creating a much crisper line than mine. Yours has no transparency at all. I have tried every variation of the settings and I'm still getting the same results. Only thing I can think of is that you may have a different preset than me. Again if you look at the small "stroke" settings box on top, mine is a single full color and yours is a red outlined box. I think this preset is creating an opaque line for you. Unfortunately, I don't have that option in my settings. If you don't know how to recreate this, that is OK. I will just continue to Google search or maybe someone else will come along with the answer. Thanks for your help anyway. And for future reference I would be a little more patient with people that are asking for help. Insulting someone for not knowing how to work photoshop isn't very helpful here in the help forums.

• 12. Re: How can I remove tranpsparency from stroke effect and other layers.

My image were created 800x600 300DPI  zoomed 100%. Use marquee rectangle  tool fixed size 300x150px  then menu Edit>Stroke 20PX Black Inside, Centered and outside normal blend mode. I can not think on any special setting and not sure how anti aliasing fits in. Even if there is a setting other then DPI. Your using a lower DPI resolution then my document 300dpi resolution setting.

Capture.jpg

Because I can not type and I believe a picture is worth a 1000 words I post screen captures,  I was not trying to be rude you should have seen the setting and where they are.