25 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2014 8:52 AM by A.T. Romano

Application freeze when using instantmovie

ischte

My PRE application hangs when i use the instant movie function, no matter what template i use.

PRE is installed on a fresh Windows 7 64 bit machine, with all security updates and Adobe updates etc.

Everything is running fine except instantmovie. All latest updates.

Machines RAM is 16GB, AMD FX8350 processor. 480GB SSD. Enough power and resources for everything running.

It does not matter which file Format i Import e.g. mov or mpeg, the same issue.

Quicktime 7,7,5 is installed, too. Windows Event log says application shutdown in log but no reason.

• 1. Re: Application freeze when using instantmovie
          A.T. Romano Level 7

ischte

What version of Premiere Elements is running on your Windows 7 64 bit computer?

Have you installed Premiere Elements to the default location at installation?

Does it matter if the antivirus is enabled or disabled? Is the problem confined to one particular Instant Movie Theme or all?

More later?

ATR

• 2. Re: Application freeze when using instantmovie
            ischte Level 1

Hi ATR,

Premiere Elements 12 with latest update installed (12.1 and so on)

Yes it is installed into the Default Location in c:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 12\

I use Bitdefender 2014 Antivirus Plus, but there is no Change when i turn AV off. Still freezes.

As i wrote all themes lead to the freeze effect, no Change. I get to the first Dialog box with all the Setting, when i click on the apply button then it goes further to Analyse the media and then the Progress bar of instantmovie stucks at 100% and freezes the app.

• 3. Re: Application freeze when using instantmovie
              A.T. Romano Level 7

ischte

Thanks for the reply with the helpful details.

What is in your Instant Movie...each time just .mov or .mpeg videos or any photos in the Timeline content?

If it is just video files, then try an Instant Movie with just jpeg photos and determine if same freezes?

What are we looking at in terms of properties of those videos...video compression, audio compression, frame size, frame rate, pixel aspect ratio? Any grossly oversized for the project photos?

If the Timeline content considerations of the matter are not indicated, let us try deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file which is often the answer for some unexpected mishappenings of the program.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then delete the whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Make sure that you are working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path.

Let us see if any of the above has any impact on the situation.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 4. Re: Application freeze when using instantmovie
                ischte Level 1

A.T.R. Thanks for your Patience; my answers following:

1. It tested it with just a single movie file, does not matter what Format it is (all types)

2. Same issue (freeze) when using only jpegs in Content area

3. No Problem in size or quality, Default from my Nikon d7000 camera down to a few megs sized sd mpegs only from internet

I removed the PRE Installation with Windows uninstall Software, and reinstalled it completly. I deleted the online Folder in programdata but withj no effect at all.

I deleted c:\Users\name\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Premiere Elements and premiere elements 12.0

but unfortunately no effect.

thanks

ischte

• 5. Re: Application freeze when using instantmovie
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

ischte

Thanks for going through the details of this Premiere Elements 12 Windows 7 64 bit Instant Movie issue.

Let us take an exploratory approach in the way of the Instant Movie source files.

Instant Movie Tab at bottom of Expert workspace/Choose a movie theme dialog

or

Action Bar Menu/Instant Movie/Choose a movie theme dialog

Have all or just the Instant Movie Themes that you wanted to use been downloaded from within the project by right clicking the blue ban at the top right of the theme thumbnail and selecting Download Now?

Do you find the Instant Movie files saved to the hard drive in the path?

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

Movie Themes

All_Lang

Theme Category Folders

Theme Folders

Please remind me...did you set up your SSD as the C drive? If so, how much free space do you have at that location?

Where are these movies, jpegs sources going into the Instant Movie being stored on the hard drive?

Go into the Elements Organizer 12, Edit Menu/Preferences/MediaAnalysis and disable all the AutoAnalzyer options.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Application freeze when using instantmovie
                    ischte Level 1

I use

Instant Movie Tab at bottom of Expert workspace/Choose a movie theme dialog

I once downloaded all the movies, but after i deinstalled the Software i completely deleted the online Folder. It has been rebuild after the new Installation, i use only pan and zoom movie. All previews are working, but when i download a theme it will freeze at 100%.

Btw, is there a way to download all the movies themes in one file?

My ssd is my main c drive with over 200gb free Memory. I use another drive as d:\ with temporary and all workspaces, more than 300gb free there too. I switched the Settings to use only c drive but still freeze at applying movies when 100%. Before the Status it analyzing media, calcating Audio (if set) and then applying movie theme. Progress goes to 100% then application freeze.

I deactivated all autoanalyzer Setting in organizer, still no effect. Still freeze.

I investigated in some other functions, when i use PRE -> Expert view -> Tools-> Movie DVD/Video Menu -> Pan and Zoom -> Download Theme -> Apply theme -> application freeze. It seems that all that theme Integration Progresses are not working.

This i what i read in Event log is:

Programm Adobe Premiere Elements.exe, Version 12.0.0.0 kann nicht mehr unter Windows ausgeführt werden und wurde beendet. Überprüfen Sie den Problemverlauf in der Wartungscenter-Systemsteuerung, um nach weiteren Informationen zum Problem zu suchen.

Prozess-ID: 132c

Startzeit: 01cf7b178c15b899

Endzeit: 52

Anwendungspfad: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 12\Adobe Premiere Elements.exe

Berichts-ID: 2537c9fd-e70b-11e3-8596-448a5b639710

• 7. Re: Application freeze when using instantmovie
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

ischte

I would have thought that the uninstall/ccleaner run through (regular and registry parts)/reinstall with antivirus and firewalls turned Off plus Run As Administrator application to your Premiere Elements desktop icon would have resolved the issue. But, unfortunately, not the case.

Your latest report of Movie Menu as well as Instant Movie being similarly affected by this issue suggests a generalized issue with the Content download in your particular setup.

The way Adobe has this Content download set up...your program installation installs incomplete Content Folders to your computer hard drive. After program installation, you must download from within the project Content to complete the imcomplete Content Folders placed at program installation. The Content in the program that requires download for folder completion is indicated by the Blue ban in the top right hand corner of the thumbnail for the Content item. You select Download Now (for just that one choice) or Download All (for that category).There is no other way to do that. Except....

Do you have another computer on which to install Premiere Elements 12. If so, you can work that through to where you have a completed Online Folder and then transfer that Online Folder to the other computer with the other Premiere Elements 12.

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe11-no-content-disc-content-downloads.html

Seems like an extreme idea, but...

Have you double checked antivirus and firewalls to make sure that one or the other or both are not creating problems for these Content downloads.

More later.

ATR

• 8. Re: Application freeze when using instantmovie
                        ischte Level 1

Please dont misunderstand me. The Problem is NOT downloading the themes. This works correctly and all Downloads will be finished.

I can see the preview of each theme and the complete files in the online Folder.

But i cannot apply the instantmovie themes on my Content. So this has nothing to do with Firewall or AV i guess.

I will try something else...

• 9. Re: Application freeze when using instantmovie
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

ischete

Thanks for the reply.

My focus on the download was related to the possibility that some of the files are not getting downloaded that are needed to complete the incomplete Content Folders that were already installed at program installation and/or supply a key element to make the Instant Movie work at the Timeline level. At this point, I do not think that it will help, but, if you want, I can post a screenshot of one of my complete Instant Movie Folders in the Online Folder. But, since you say that you get the same freeze applying a Movie Menu as you do with Instant Movie, the issue would then have to reside in the whole Content download concept rather than a glitch in the Instant Movie application.

Although the Instant Movie can be resource demanding, I do not see applying a Movie Menu in that same context. So, I have not gone after computer resources as a factor related to your freezes. Do you have any computer programs that we could point to as possible candidates as conflicting programs?

Since this is Premiere Elements 12.1 (current version), we might want to get Adobe via its Adobe Chat involved to determine if it has any undocumented information on your type of issue. To do that, you could click on the following link and, when it opens, click on the statement "Still Need Help? Contact Us." to discuss with Adobe Chat the topic of Downloading, Installing, and Setting Up. Some of the topic choices just bounce you back to the forums.

Contact Customer Care

Event Log that I translated with Google Translate and that you posted says that your Adobe Premiere Elements 12 cannot be run on Windows. If that is the case, I am surprised that you are able to open the program at all. The file that the Event log points to is the major program file "Adobe Premiere Elements.exe". But from your reports, it seems to be only the application of Content the is working.

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 10. Re: Application freeze when using instantmovie
                            ischte Level 1

Okay,

last night i downloaded all media types (5.1gb select all in instantmovie dialog), all ok.

When i boot my Computer in F5 safe mode with Network Drivers, i can start PRE12 and use instant movie. Everything works correctly, the movie is rendered with the selected theme.

When I do this with normal Windows boot, it freezes before Rendering at 100% apply theme. So there must be a conflict with some Drivers or other components when Windows is loading all stuff. Is there a known list of Software that is doing conflicts with PRE? Is there a list of processes i can Monitor when i start pre?

I will look further if i can determine the process which is the one doing conflicts...

• 11. Re: Application freeze when using instantmovie
                              ischte Level 1

PROBLEM SOLVED (so far, partially)

When i disable the "add menu" Option in the theme Option tab in instant movie Dialog box,

it works.

So the Problem is the Tools -> Movie menu.

When i open this item, there are only loading symbols in the Dialog box.

Without this Rendering and instant movie is okay. Tis is a bug. Any ideas how to fix the menu part?

• 12. Re: Application freeze when using instantmovie
                                ischte Level 1

Is it possible that you send me a zip Archive with the Content c:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 12\DVD Templates\Common\Slideshows\Pan and Zoom?

• 13. Re: Application freeze when using instantmovie
                                  ischte Level 1

Another info:

When i open Tools -> add menu -> i can see the templates preview with Images and stuff. When i download the Content, after that i only see a rotating loading Icon and it Comes to freeze when i select an item... so somewhere here the error is located after downloading the online menu media

• 14. Re: Application freeze when using instantmovie
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

ischte

PLEASE READ POST 16 BEFORE READING THIS.

Thanks for the update, including the Movie Menu aspects of the issues.

We had that same syndrome a few months ago. I need to find that thread where we went down my troubleshooting paths. As I recall resolution came after uninstall, ccleaner run through, reinstall but had to include right clicking the Premiere Elements desktop icon of the installed program and applying Run As Administrator even though the user was running the program from a User Account with Administrative Privileges.

Let me see if I can find that thread.

More later.

ATR

• 15. Re: Application freeze when using instantmovie
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

ischte

PLEASE READ POST 16 BEFORE READING THIS.

Just saw your question 12.

Unfortunately that is not possible. But, how about this an a replacement choice.

What you seek

c:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 12\DVD Templates\Common\Slideshows\Pan and Zoom

is not part of any Content download scheme. The Content download scheme targets the Program Data route to the Online Folder.

What you are citing is installed completely with the installation of the program. That makes the Pan and Zoom theme "complete - ready to go", no Content download needed to make the theme work.

An uninstall reinstall of the program using your purchased installation files or installation disc would start you off anew.

But, if you suspect a flaw in your installation files, then we could download and install the Premiere Elements 12 tryout from the following link and insert your purchased serial number in it to make it your working copy. The key to this route is to read very carefully the site's "Note: Very Important Instructions" otherwise you will end up with an Access Denied message.

Adobe Photoshop Elements 12 Direct Download Links, Premiere too | ProDesignTools

The Premiere Elements 12 Windows 64 bit Pan and Zoom Theme Folder has the following content:

Pan&Zoom.JPG

Please review and consider.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...the screenshot presents a bit blurry. Please click on it to bring up a better view.

• 16. Re: Application freeze when using instantmovie
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

ischte

My apologizes. When I responded to your latest entries into your thread, I missed the very important post 11 and started with 12.

That generated by posts numbered 14 and 15.

I believe that you have detoured to the wrong conclusion when you wrote

PROBLEM SOLVED (so far, partially)

When i disable the "add menu" Option in the theme Option tab in instant movie Dialog box,

it works.

So the Problem is the Tools -> Movie menu.

When i open this item, there are only loading symbols in the Dialog box.

Without this Rendering and instant movie is okay. Tis is a bug. Any ideas how to fix the menu part?

The "add menu" option in Instant Movie theme set up refers to the menus that you see at the beginning and end of the Instant Movie. These appear to be creations of the Instant Movie feature and not borrowed "disc menus" from the Movie Menu. I will dig into that thought deeper in a little while.

So what I wrote in posts 14 and 15 will have relevance if you have a Movie Menu problem, but not an Instant Movie problem. At this point, I do not see your Instant Movie problem triggered by a Movie Menu problem as you propose.

Please review, consider, and then let me know if you come to the same conclusion. See Pan and Zoom Theme and the result with and without Add Menu in the Theme options.

Thanks.

ATR

• 17. Re: Application freeze when using instantmovie
                                          ischte Level 1

I know that pan and zoom is not online to download, but i do not want to uninstall and reinstall again. It encrypted on the original Installation CDs, so i cant copy it over to my drive. Thats why i asked for an zip.

I Show you what i mean:

This is okay because it has not been downloaded yet:

And this has been downloaded:

and this is the solution for instantmovie:

• 18. Re: Application freeze when using instantmovie
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

ischte

I am not having any problems with the Instant Movie Pan and Zoom with or without Menus selected in the Theme Content options.

Right now I am zeroing in on the theme at the Timeline level, looking at the individual files in the themes folder in Project Assets as well as the themes components when I apply the "Break Apart Instant Movie" command to the intact Instant Movie placed on the Timeline by the feature. I am focusing on any "menu content" and files related to it.

The download and install of Premiere Elements 12 from the web site cited should be a viable option, provided you are not reluctant to the uninstall reinstall for whatever reason. Consider. If you are not way ahead of me in the troubleshooting, you may want to wait and see what I find in my troubleshooting in progress as described above. It will look at with and without menus and try to define the menus referred to in the Instant Movie Theme Content options section.

Thanks for the follow up exchanges.

ATR

• 19. Re: Application freeze when using instantmovie
                                              ischte Level 1

So i did uninstall and reinstalled it from download Version. Then i updated to 12.1

Now i habe Pan and zooms Content back on my drive, but with no effect. Still freeze when using movie menu.

• 20. Re: Application freeze when using instantmovie
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

ischte

Earlier (in post 16) I wrote

The "add menu" option in Instant Movie theme set up refers to the menus that you see at the beginning and end of the Instant Movie. These appear to be creations of the Instant Movie feature and not borrowed "disc menus" from the Movie Menu. I will dig into that thought deeper in a little while.

Results from exploring the matter deeper do not support what I perceived "menus" option to be. I suspect that I was confusing titles (opening and closing) with the real meaning of menus option in Instant Movie.

I have gotten through an important phase of me focusing in on what the "menus" option is all about in the Instant Movie Theme Content Setup. If you plan on taking the Timeline Instant Movie to disc with a disc menu, you select this option to automate some of the steps in getting there.

What "menus" option does is to place automatically (apparently according to a yet to be defined scheme) scene menu markers at points along the Instant Movie on the Timeline. There is no "Movie Menu" thumbnail placed into Project Assets as seen for the opening and closing titles of the Instant Movie.

So, after the Instant Movie is created on the Timeline, when you go to Tools/Movie Menu, you automatically are using the Pan and Zoom Movie Menu with its main and scene menu pages and the scene menu with the scenes as directed by the Timeline scene markers placed during the Instant Movie creation.

1. Is your intent to take this Instant Movie to burn to disc with disc menus?

If not, then best to leave the Instant Movie Theme Content "menus" unchecked until the cause of your problem surfaces.

2. You talk about freezes after you direct the program to create the Instant Movie from your Timeline content.

In these occasions using the Theme Content menus option, have you ever gotten as far as to see the generated Instant Movie even in a frozen state?

More in a little while. This is just an update.

ATR

• 21. Re: Application freeze when using instantmovie
                                                  ischte Level 1

Another Thing i recognized:

I use expert view:

I cannot use Tools -> Movie Menu (loading symbols)

I cannot use Tools -> Titels and Texts (loading symbols)

I cannot use Tools -> Graphics (loading symbols)

When i Switch from Expert to Fast / Assistent, it hangs too.

When i start in Fast View, Titles and Texts and Graphics works

This may be the Problem:

CS6 media core is somehow used internally but crashes.

Expert view:

Fast view:

• 22. Re: Application freeze when using instantmovie
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

ischte

No progress here on defining the nature of your Premiere Elements issues with Content in the Expert workspace. Based on all the information that you have compiled, the core of the issue seems to be going to a fundamental overall problem rather than a problem specific to the individual Content requiring feature.

Do you have any programs on this computer such as "NetNanny"? Have you ever had any of the Adobe Creative Suite programs installed  on the computer on which Premiere Elements 12 is now running?

It might be a good idea to get Adobe involved in case that it can point to the file that would be impacted by whatever is causing the conflicts. The last time a Quick workspace feature worked while the counterpart Expert workspace feature did not, was in the case of Text Styles. The 12.1 Update took care of that. But, I have no idea what Adobe did in the Update to correct that problem.

If you decide to involve Adobe via its Adobe Chat, click on the link below and, when the link opens, click on the statement "Still need help? Contact Us." That will bring up the Adobe Chat. Probably the most appropriate topic to select would be "Downloading, installing, and setting up".

Contact Customer Care

I will think about this some more.

We will be watching for further developments.

ATR

• 23. Re: Application freeze when using instantmovie
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

ischte

Just some miscellaneous trivia.

In doing some online searches for Adobe Media Core CS6, I saw some articles where it was referred to as

Adobe QT32 Server.exe

and

once dynampiclink manager

Both of these files are located in Windows 7 64 bit...

Local Disk C

Program Files

Adobe

Adobe Premiere Elements 12

and in the 32 Folder can be found these two .exe files. If they are implicated in anyway, do you see any merit in right clicking either and

selecting Run As Administrator?

But, I find it curious that your message names the file Adobe Media Core CS6 and not something else like Adobe QT32 Server.exe.

ATR

• 24. Re: Application freeze when using instantmovie
                                                        ischte Level 1

Adobe QT32 Server.exe and dynampiclink Manager doesn't affect the Problem when running as admin; makes it more worse: when admin is activated with dlmanager pre wont start.

I have only Lightroom 5.x (latest) and PRE 12.1 installed.

I guess Adobe QT32 Server.exe somehow is CS6 media Manager Windows because it was the same process in taskmanager.

I uninstalled and reinstalled it again; today was the first time i could use the add movie menu item when i started PRE12 Icon as Administrator (did this before but without success).

When i start it not as an Administrator is does not work.

It is somehow okay now, but i think ist Kind of Buggy. I can reproduce some bug when switching between expert, assistant, fast view and running as /not as Administrator.

I googled that there were always issues with instantmovie/cs x core even in older Versions, so i hopefully think that Adobe will doing some patching to bring more stability into this application.

As for me and now, i have found a way to use it now and want to say a big thank you to you ATR.

• 25. Re: Application freeze when using instantmovie
                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

ischte

That was great news that you have found a way to use those problem Content features. You did a great job troubleshooting your problem. Great insights and follow up.

My greatest problems with Premiere Elements 12 have been in getting the program installed, especially after an uninstall. But, I have not had problems with its stability, overall or targeted at the problems that we have been discussing.

I do not use the Instant Movie feature of the program very often, so your issue led me into the Instant Movie feature where I got a chance to look at Theme Content features closer. The function of Instant Movie  "menus" option was an interesting finding.

Best wishes

ATR